Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: General Discussion:
Shy problem

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Vincent
User

Oct 21, 2002, 4:44 AM

Post #26 of 45 (43578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Koifun] Shy problem [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Koifun,

But after drilling the hole, what do they use to stop the water from leaking? Can they fixed something like a tap, to turn on and off to let go of the waste material? Your glass tower has a bottom tap to release the waste right? Is it stable, i mean is there any leakage from the hole?

Thanks.
Vincent

koifun
Veteran

Oct 21, 2002, 12:46 PM

Post #27 of 45 (43566 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Vincent] Shy problem [In reply to] Can't Post

U can buy a PVC ball valve from the hardware shop - cost about $4.50 for 25mm diameter.

• "Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. - Euripides"
  • CoolSmileTongueSmile

koifun
    Veteran

Oct 21, 2002, 12:50 PM

Post #28 of 45 (43565 views)
    Shortcut

u also need to buy a PVC threaded joint for both inside and outside which cost about $3 for both . Then plug in a 25mm PVC pipe followed by ball valve. Cut a tyre rubber gasket for the outside join. There will definitely no leak if fix probably .

Rgds

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

Vincent
    User

Oct 27, 2002, 6:03 AM

Post #29 of 45 (43549 views)
    Shortcut

hi all,

yeah, I have changed the water 50%, and clean the filter using old tank water last weeke end, and yes, the koi did calm down slightly i observed through the whole of last week, but not much difference before I changed the water. I did add salt and some soda bicarbonate to balance the water to 0.2% salt and 8dKh.

But the small kois and few others still not feeding much on the floating food. Only few bigger kois snatched up all the food.

But I discovered one important thing: all these months I never realised. Yesterday, I just happen not to switch on the tank lights because I'm changing the electrical plug, so the lights not on, but i throw in the food. To my shturprise, the smaller koi did come up to eat. And the rest of the koi too. They are feeding quite relax and not dash up and down. Previously ony the bigger koi will feed relaxly and others just dash up and down.

Now I'm going to experienting it with the lights: I'm going to get those switch that slowly on the lights and not suddenly just on the lights. Because I remember that time when I bought back the small koi, previously it is feeding happyily on the food, only after sometime when i suddenly off the light, it got scared and dash for cover, ever since then it never come up for food except sinking food. So yesterday, i did not on the light and it come up! i'm quite happy though. Wink Hopefully after getting those switch, it will not get scare. Like the pond outside, sunlight only appear slowly. But for indoor tank, i hope can simulate to be sunlight, switch on and off slowly.

Just want to ask u guys, do u on and off your lights suddenly? and if u have small koi, they do get scared right?

Vincent

koifun
    Veteran

Oct 27, 2002, 8:12 AM

Post #30 of 45 (43545 views)
    Shortcut

Hi, Vicent

Nice to hear from you again.

Kois do get frightened if infrequently on/off the light. Nevertheless, they may get accustomed to it very soon and will stop dashing when light is on suddently if the act of on/off light is not once in a blue moon. I always on the pond light at night when I come back from work at night and they are quite used to it. What I mentioned above refers to light outside the pond, be it a spot light or not. If the spot light is inside the tank, I think the kois will take longer period to get used to it or may even not if the light intensity is too strong. In your case of a glass tank, whether light is inside the tank or not makes no diferent as the kois will receive light from more angle - thus a dash to avert a danger is but a normal behaviour.

A dimmer will definitely help if the kois are unable to adapt after a regular training.

Happy koi keeping!

KoifunLaugh

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

jsoon
    User

Oct 28, 2002, 8:40 AM

Post #31 of 45 (43528 views)
    Shortcut

I think Vincent is using those waterproof aquarium light. Not too suitable for Koi in the long run. In any case, put the light above the water.

Why ?

- to prevent over heating of the water

- to prevent alage from growing unto your light casing or glass.

xu5w
    Novice

Nov 15, 2002, 2:48 AM

Post #32 of 45 (43500 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [patrick123] Shy problem [In reply to] Can't Post

wad can a coral chips help to do? Is it those white color coral chips u can buy from any fish shops that pple usually use it to deco at the bottom of their aquarium?

johnson lee
    Veteran

Nov 15, 2002, 4:11 AM

Post #33 of 45 (43497 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [xu5w] Shy problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there

You are right regarding the description of coral chips. Because they are carbonate based, they are normally used to stabilise the pH of the pond. Some people use them as a filter media or as you mentioned, to decorate the bottom fo the aquarium.

If you intend to use corals to help stabilise the pH, I would suggest you switch to oyster shells or cockles (same function) and less problems. Corals with their small pores are harder to clean and that allows bad bacteria to breed in there.

Johnson

xu5w
    Novice

Nov 15, 2002, 12:34 PM

Post #34 of 45 (43480 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [johnson lee] Shy problem [In reply to] Can't Post

shell.. hmmm... can use any kinds of shell or...?? i will be buying a filter (3ft x 1ft), wad sort of stuff can i put in it? sponge, coral chips ... and..?

KevKoi
    Koi Kichi

Nov 15, 2002, 11:50 PM

Post #35 of 45 (43472 views)
    Shortcut

Be careful with coral chips... u really don't need that much. Maybe 5KG in a net bag (for easy removal). Don't just throw in the coral chips into the filter chamber or u'll have a tough time taking 'em out piece by piece when the time comes to clean it. Put it in several net bags and drop them in the LAST chamber of your filter.

Don't be tempted to overdo the coral chips. It's cheap, so some pond builders cut corners by just filling the filter chamber with tons of coral chips... water will be good and clear for a while, but eventually ull be running into anaerobic bacterial problems.

In your 3' x 1' filter (if possible get one size bigger 4' x 1' x 2.5' tall), use mostly plastic filter material (it's light, easy to remove and provides plenty of surface area for bacterial colonisation). I pack my FG box filter with black filter brushes (packed tightly, cost about RM9-10 a brush) and green japanese matting, with 5kg shell/coral chips in the final chamber.

cheers.

xu5w
    Novice

Nov 18, 2002, 3:16 AM

Post #36 of 45 (43455 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [KevKoi] Shy problem [In reply to] Can't Post

ok thanks.. but didnt u put in sponge? i thought sponge will be better to trap their waste... Anyway, whats green japanese matting?

KevKoi
    Koi Kichi

Nov 20, 2002, 1:41 AM

Post #37 of 45 (43432 views)
    Shortcut

If it 'traps' dirt, it will clog... ie the filter will overflow or it will start breeding anearobic bacteria. We aim to SETTLE the heavy particles at the bottom. Not to strain it out.

xu5w
    Novice

Nov 20, 2002, 3:09 AM

Post #38 of 45 (43428 views)
    Shortcut

oh i see.. but, would it be a mess if u wanted to wash away the settlements? hmm.. i thought so..

KevKoi
    Koi Kichi

Nov 20, 2002, 7:19 AM

Post #39 of 45 (43419 views)
    Shortcut

wash? what wash? I just drop in a pump to suck up all the sediment that has settled at the bottom to the drain (no bottom drain, those FG box filters.) after removing the brushes. EAsy. Give the brush a good shake in a pail of pond water and that's done.

xu5w
    Novice

Nov 20, 2002, 12:56 PM

Post #40 of 45 (43410 views)
    Shortcut

oh... TongueTongueTongue i see..

rover
    Novice

Feb 28, 2003, 12:07 PM

Post #41 of 45 (43332 views)
    Shortcut

Surely the title of this post should be Coy Koi?

ruenchuan
    New User

Jun 1, 2003, 9:39 PM

Post #42 of 45 (43197 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [jsoon] Shy problem [In reply to] Can't Post

hi ..can i have the email with the attachment also..? i also plan to upgrade my glass tank

jsoon
    User

Jun 2, 2003, 9:11 AM

Post #43 of 45 (43181 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [ruenchuan] Shy problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

You can retrieve my pic from member pond section under jsoon fibre glass pond.

BirdzWord
    Novice

Jul 19, 2003, 6:38 AM

Post #44 of 45 (43063 views)
    Shortcut

HI Vincent----I have only been keeping koi fo a year now, I have them in a pond in the back yard in the big city (always wanted one no matter where I live) anyway, I have trained my koi. They come to you and let you pet them. Alond with your reg. koi food, get some koi cooki or some kind of treat for them that is big enough for you to hold between your fingers. At a time before you feed them their reg. food first wiggle your fingers just under the surface of the water just fast enough to make a noise without scarring them (it maight the first week or so but don't give up). Then with a treat in your fingers hold it still down in the water and very still. Eventually they will related the wiggle noise to treats and hey will start lettingg you pet them (give that part some time, if you've had them a while it will take them longer to trust you maybe). NEVER let kids play in the water, if a seaky one does go wiggle fingers and treat fish to let them know they can trust you. the best of luck to you, I enjoy mine very much, miss them in the cold months. they are much more enjoyable now that they are trained. Roberta

azndragon0613
    Novice

Jun 22, 2007, 8:23 AM

Post #45 of 45 (33807 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [BirdzWord] Shy problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm let me take a shot at this as well.

So I too myself recently bought some small koi about 4-5 inches long and, like any other koi keeper out there, I want them to love me as I love them. But, it's instinct for the koi to dash away when they sense a sudden change in the environment. It's because they can't rationalize what's harmful and not harmful that their reactions are so sensitive. Also, koi are schooling fish. They have this line along the sides of the body that sense rapid disturbances in the current of the water. So if one darts, the others know to dart too. I hope this explains some reasons for their behavior.

Now I'm still a novice at training koi but I've read that koi are very adaptable. After all, they are a very hardy species of fish, able to survive in sub optimal conditions. Some koi may naturally be friendly, but the odds are they probably won't be out of a fish shop. Therefore, you have to use classical conditioning to erase their fear of you.

Now I am like you in that I have a glass aquarium. Mine is set up in my room. So I started feeding my koi some pellets especially designed for them. The big disadvantage of the pellets was that it was a grab and go. They grabbed one and went down to dissolve it in their mouths which minimized the amount of close visual contact they had for me. So, instead I switched to flakes. I starved them for a day or two to create a need for them. Hunger for the fish is an understandable need, and anything that can cure them of it will let them know where to go when they get hungry. After I starving my koi, I feed them at one spot of the aquarium at a certain time. I dropped a few flakes in and did not leave the premises until one was brave enough to come up and eat. Now the thing about flakes is that it's not so much grab and go. It's more like I'm going to try to get as many flakes as possible before I get scared. So gradually as they see more of you, they trust you much better. My koi are still very shy. There's this one that waits for all the fish to eat in order to dart up and dart back down. But the others are warming up. I sometimes can trick them my fingertip is a flake and they'll nibble at it.

Last piece of advice: Spend time with your fish and be patient.

Hope this helps.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
    Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
    No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
    For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com