Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Construction & Water Filtering System:
Effective mechanical Pond Filter - ''The Answer'' system

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

SMW1
Veteran

Jan 9, 2003, 2:09 AM

Post #26 of 73 (38666 views)
Shortcut
Re: [patrick123] Effective mechanical Pond Filter - ''The Answer'' system [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Patrick, Organic liquids are ok, however too many chemicals could get a little dangerous. I was not aware of the liquids that you were adding that's why I was a little cautious. If they are all natural bacterias you shouldn't have any problems mixing them.

Yes that was my pond in the background. I have also added a few pond pictures to the picture gallery as requested by Andyng (Snow pond pic's Laugh).

However as soon as the sun comes out and the earth softens up I will carry on work with my new pond. Which hpefully you can't see in the picture (I want to keep it a surprise Wink).

patrick123
Veteran

Jan 9, 2003, 6:07 AM

Post #27 of 73 (38657 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SMW1] Effective mechanical Pond Filter - ''The Answer'' system [In reply to] Can't Post

Stuart,

Do you think after a pond is matured, do we still have to top up the bacteria powder or liquid periodically? That's what recommended on the instruction of the product.

Your pond looks a little bit like mine. I will take a look at the pictures that you posted.

BTW, I thought you are putting the construction of the new pond on hold??? Did you change your mind again? Smile Can't resist the temptation of a new pond right? LaughLaugh

SMW1
Veteran

Jan 10, 2003, 2:39 AM

Post #28 of 73 (38629 views)
Shortcut
Re: [patrick123] Effective mechanical Pond Filter - ''The Answer'' system [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Our ponds can never replace the natural ponds in the world. These ponds, lakes and rivers not only take care of the nitrofiying cycle they also are home to many more creatures other than koi. This suppies the kois habbitat with natural minerals, most of which we would never find in our home made ponds.

If you can afford it I would continue to add but maybe at half or a quarter of the dose.

Yes, the pond was on hold until we move house but we have decided that the pond we currently have is too close to the house and we want to extend the back of the house also, so I started digging in October when I had a few spare hours. Once the pond is finished and it has fully matured (may leave it a year to be on the safe side). We will be knocking down the old pond. :( All those hard hours of labour. But on the bright side. The new pond will be about 9,000 gals and have a glass viewing area.Sly

patrick123
Veteran

Jan 10, 2003, 6:42 AM

Post #29 of 73 (38618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SMW1] Effective mechanical Pond Filter - ''The Answer'' system [In reply to] Can't Post

Stuart,

So you finally cannot resist the temptation on starting a new pond. LaughLaugh

Wow...9000 gallon, that's like 40 ton of water....with a glass viewing area...this will be a magnificent view.

I'm sure there are a lot of hard work but been through one myself, it is a very enjoyable way to spend the leisure time. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun doing it.

Don't forget to keep us posted and show us the pictures of project in progress. Smile

Best Regards,
Patrick

cby
Novice

Jan 10, 2003, 7:17 AM

Post #30 of 73 (38615 views)
Shortcut

Stuart,

Can you elaborate on the glass viewing area? Do you mean window to see the pond or glass floor? I've been pondering about glass floors but the condensation on the glass would mean constant cleaning required to rid the algae that would inevitable grow on the glass. Do share your thoughts.

Regards,

boonyong

crazoo
User

Jan 10, 2003, 10:29 PM

Post #31 of 73 (38599 views)
Shortcut

wow 9k gallon, certainly look forward to see it .. Smile

SMW1
Veteran

Jan 11, 2003, 4:17 PM

Post #32 of 73 (38588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cby] Effective mechanical Pond Filter - ''The Answer'' system [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Boonyoung,

A glass floor would be too much of a pain and would only really give benieft for the first few weeks. Like the you said it would be very hard to keep clean and if you wanted to stand on it then you would be looking at quite a thick penel of glass which would not be easy to lift when it came to cleaning.

The design I will be using is as follows:

My pond will be a raised pond. It will be 4' below gound and 3' above ground giving a 7' deep pond. Above ground there will be a 2 glass sections incorperated in the front wall of the pond. They will be in the region of 2.5' length x 2' width.

cwnchong
Koi Kichi

Jan 13, 2003, 5:13 AM

Post #33 of 73 (38578 views)
Shortcut

Hi Stuart,

Interesting. Can you share your idea & design a little more with us all; like what type of glass sheet that u intended to use. Is it a single layer tempered glass or multiple sheet screen? Considering its thickness required to take the pressure. I can imagine your 9K pond surface & the pressure fuatuates quite a fair bit, considering the external abuse etc.

Have a nice day.

SMW1
Veteran

Jan 16, 2003, 10:42 PM

Post #34 of 73 (38540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cwnchong] Effective mechanical Pond Filter - ''The Answer'' system [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes the water pressure is a big thing to consider that is why I have to have two seperate glass windows rather than one big one. Frown.

I don't have the design at the moment I'm getting it laminated so I can't change it anymore LOL. You should be able to see my old design if you search the forum. It's pretty much the same with a few extras

crazoo
User

Jan 17, 2003, 2:59 AM

Post #35 of 73 (38537 views)
Shortcut

dear stuart, can a hydrometer check for oxygen level??

cwnchong
Koi Kichi

Jan 17, 2003, 7:01 AM

Post #36 of 73 (38531 views)
Shortcut

Stuart,

Tkx for the info. I 'll search for for the post later when I have more time.

Cheers.

SMW1
Veteran

Jan 18, 2003, 12:07 PM

Post #37 of 73 (38516 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazoo] Effective mechanical Pond Filter - ''The Answer'' system [In reply to] Can't Post

Most hydrometers are made to meassure the salinity of your pond i.e they test Salt levels.

Tetra make an Oxygen test it. Not sure what price it will be over there Unsure.

patrick123
Veteran

Jan 20, 2003, 2:01 PM

Post #38 of 73 (38500 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazoo] Effective mechanical Pond Filter - ''The Answer'' system [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazoo,

Stuart is right. Hydrometer is to measure the salt level in term of specific gravity. However, they are designed to be used for marine fish and not koi pond.

crazoo
User

Jan 20, 2003, 7:25 PM

Post #39 of 73 (38492 views)
Shortcut

so you r sayin cant be used for ponds ?

patrick123
Veteran

Jan 21, 2003, 5:02 AM

Post #40 of 73 (38488 views)
Shortcut

Crazoo,

As far as I know, there is no hydrometer designed for fresh water aquarium/pond. If I remember correctly, the measurement from a hydrometer is 1.022 specific gravity which is equivalent to 3% salinity. With this level of salt, your koi will pass out in no time.

On the other hand, if you are willing to take the trouble to use a measuring container to dose the salt to 3%, and then dilute the water in the container with 9 more cup of water, this could convert it to 0.3%. But this is just too much trouble. It is not worth the time and effort to save the money for a digital salt meter.

koifun
Veteran

Jan 21, 2003, 5:43 AM

Post #41 of 73 (38482 views)
Shortcut

Hi, Patrick

While u may not be able to get hydrometer from the pet shop the range u want, you can actually tried procuring from Lab equipment company which normally sell a wider range of hydrometer for laboratory use. The difference is the reading is not translated into salt concentrations.

The thing you may have to do is to made a few cylinders of 0.0 - 0.4% salt solutions with fresh water ( saltless ) best from your own pond and measure their gravities accordingly with the hydrometer. With those pct and respective gravities, plot a graph joining all the points into a straightline with extrapolation. The graph then allows you to read off salt concentration when reading on the hydrometer is taken.

Wink

• "Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. - Euripides"
  • CoolSmileTongueSmile

patrick123
    Veteran

Jan 21, 2003, 6:52 AM

Post #42 of 73 (38477 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [Koifun] Effective mechanical Pond Filter - ''The Answer'' system [In reply to] Can't Post

Koifun,

You obviously have come from a science background. LaughLaughLaugh And I don't disagree at all. Smile

The question is, why so troublesome, a digital salt meter only cost S$80. All you have to do is to dip it in to the pond and you can have the reading instantly.

Cheers,
    Patrick

crazoo
    User

Jan 22, 2003, 1:38 PM

Post #43 of 73 (38456 views)
    Shortcut

thanks, nearly confused . my cousin is a marine fish hobyist.. Smile

cby
    Novice

Mar 2, 2003, 7:05 PM

Post #44 of 73 (38415 views)
    Shortcut

Patrick,

Hope u are well. Found out some things that I'd like to share with you on The Answer. My Answer started to clog every 3-4 days recently so I dipped the screen in caustic soda for 15 minutes as prescribed in the instructions to clean off the "biofilm" today.

The flowrate was immediately improved as I had to adjust the pump valve to allow more water in to keep the Answer submerged. This was not the case when I just did the regular flushing of the screen with a water jet.

I was also informed that the earlier versions of the 410 was running a weaker pump for the backflush system. Is your model the one with the cross shaped central release knob?

patrick123
    Veteran

Mar 2, 2003, 8:00 PM

Post #45 of 73 (38413 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [cby] Effective mechanical Pond Filter - ''The Answer'' system [In reply to] Can't Post

cby,

I think I'm going to need a lot of advise from you. I'm at the stage where I'm actually thinking of "SWAPPING OUT" the answer. May be sell it in 2nd hand market. PiratePiratePirate

I don't know which model that I have, but mine does not have any cross shape central release knob. As a matter of fact, there is nothing to allow you to remove the cover. I was told by the dealer that in order to remove the cover, I have to unscrew the 8 screws using an alan key. That is not an easy thing to do. Took me 1/2 an hour to remove all 8 screws and guess what, there is a rubber seal that tightly keeps the cover in place. By that time, my filter already stop running for 45 mins (since I have to turn of the pump to do maintenance for the answer) and I was ready to ply a screw driver into the screen of the answer (mind you that I'm still a very hot tempered person MadMad). Then out a sudden, with the final attempt and force, I was able to remove the top cover....after several cuts on my hands PiratePiratePiratePirate. Then I realized that the version of the answer that I have is not designed for user maintenance....since all the parts inside the answer are razer sharp....there you go again...another few cuts on my hands.....now my hands start to look like someone who work in the construction site.

Even with that, I was not able to remove the screen completely and soak it in any solution as the bottom of the screen was sucked into the base of the answer just like the top cover, and will take a hell lot of work to remove. Also, you are right that the backflush system seems to be weak. After I put everything back...by now is 1 1/2 hour (dead worry that my good bacteria will die). I can feel the movement of the backflush arm by touching the screen but there is no wind of any kind if you know what I mean....I was even thinking of modifying or change out the back flush pump to put in a turbo charger.....

From my tone, you probably have guess what a satisfied customer I am. May be I bought into the technology a little too soon and bought the first generation unit.....may be the new systems are much better now.

If you have any advise for me, I will really appreciate.....or if you know someone who want to buy the unit.......

cby
    Novice

Mar 2, 2003, 8:46 PM

Post #46 of 73 (38412 views)
    Shortcut

Patrick,

hmmm, ok, i get the picture and now understand why you are having all the frustrations! Specially at this time of the night! Tell you what, I'll see if there is a retro kit that allows the lid to be opened without going through the 8 screws! The single cross knob is really easy to open the Answer. Will keep you informed. By the way, take a look at the help section in www.evolutionaqua.com and run through the faqs. there is a lot of info there.

I can understand your desire to give up on the Answer at the moment but I suggest you hang in there as I still don't see anything better in terms of mechanical filtration. Frank Chong's article which concludes with allowing only 10% of the waste through the bio-stage as the key concept is in inline with what The Answer is about and that's why an Answer based system should technically be very efficient as only a small part of the wastes needs to be handled by the bio stage.

Have a good sleep and tomorrow will be better. Will keep you posted. Life can always be worse so do cheer up. At the very least, you get the water pulse now. There will be no hiss; all you will feel is the water pulse.

Regards,

boonyong

patrick123
    Veteran

Mar 3, 2003, 9:27 AM

Post #47 of 73 (38390 views)
    Shortcut

Boonyong,

Thanks so much for your help and console. It makes me feel much better. BTW, what is a caustic soda and where can you get it? In my case, since it is not easy to remove the screen, I'm thinking of just buying the caustic soda and just spray it on the external part of the screen, and then jet wash the unit. Do you think this is good enough? Also, is caustic soda harmful to koi if expose to in small quantity?

Also, where did you find Frank Chong's article?

Thanks again,
    Patrick

keithkoi
    User

Mar 3, 2003, 10:08 AM

Post #48 of 73 (38387 views)
    Shortcut

Hi Patrick,
    Just my 2 cents worth, I've had the Answer installed in my 1 mth old FG tank (8 X 5) and using K1 for bio filtering, IMHO:
    1) The slide valve between the Answer and the next chamber - Bio filter is the most critical for maintenance, ie. for any flushing of the Answer settlement chamber where water level of the chamber will be LOWER than the bio-filter chamber, the slide valve need to be closed to prevent back flow of water from the bio filter and worst of all K1 materials flowing into the inside of the Answer jamming or choking the Answer backflush OSAE pump.
    2) Using caustic soda and spraying externally onto the Answer screen will not remove the debris already trapped within the Answer and caustic soda will also get into your bio-filter, my suggestion is to perform a thorough maintenance of your Answer removing the top cover and screen to expose the backflush arms for inspection and cleaning.
    3) Depending on how your Answer system is installed, generally the entire Answer could be lifted out from the settlement chamber (as mine is slotted into a 4" pipe joint that connects to an 90deg. elbow leading to the bio-filter chamber) and enough slag in the Answer wiring. You could then easily work on the Answer out of the chamber.
    Best of luck! Cheers, Keith

(This post was edited by keithkoi on Mar 3, 2003, 11:03 AM)

patrick123
    Veteran

Mar 3, 2003, 12:34 PM

Post #49 of 73 (38378 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [keithkoi] Effective mechanical Pond Filter - ''The Answer'' system [In reply to] Can't Post

Keith,

Thanks for the input and advise. May I know where you buy the caustic soda and how much is it?

I think I can remove the answer and clean it. The problem is that it is very damp heavy and bulky.

Cheers,
    Patrick

cby
    Novice

Mar 3, 2003, 1:15 PM

Post #50 of 73 (38374 views)
    Shortcut

Caustic soda is a cleaning agent and needs to be bought from chemical supplier. There may be restrictions on availability. I got the stuff from a friend who's in the chemical business.

There is a whole lot of stuff on the evolutionaqua web that gives you the full run down on maintainence and spraying on is not recommended.

Franks article is on the koiforum home page.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
    Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
    No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
    For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com