Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Construction & Water Filtering System:
Filter Brushes

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

koifun
Veteran

Aug 30, 2002, 1:25 PM

Post #26 of 39 (32846 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jsoon] Filter Brushes [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes. Jsoon

You have to do it daily if you want the have crystal clear water and happy kois. But try to make your daily work simple by getting ready the media every night in a tray. Make it a habit to do it 1st thing in the morning - 2 minutes job, atmost 5 min. When u have to be away for more than a few days, teach the others at home to help. You may be able to relax to two or three days change once, if you feed them once a day or less. For that u have to experiment to see the which is the best interval.

Having said that, your other compartments must be filled good stuffs to function as biofitration. I have larva stone, bioball, ceramic ring, coral shell etc.. except zeolite which will absorb salt in the water.

The point of doing it daily is - are you tired of it or u don't mind for 5 min. a day. Like someone said keeping kois is better than taking HGH or Gensing - so treat the 5 min time spent daily as taking gensing to keep yourself healthy.SlySly Unless u can find a better method this is still a good method as far as I am concerned.

The important thing is, when u put the media in the 1st comp,try put it in a tray( no hole on the side only at the bottom) so that unfiltered water can not be leaked out from the side. In other words, try to ensure every drop of water into the tank is filtered in the first comp b4 it goes into other compartments. In this way, the other compartment will be clean for long time to come - there is practically no maintainance from the second comp onwards as there is free from debris. You safe time from there and spread it into daily 5 mins ( which include washing the soiled sponge.)

I will like to try getting the brushes if available to compare with this method - until then this is still a solution.

CheersLaughLaughand a nice week end !

• "Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. - Euripides"
  • CoolSmileTongueSmile

jsoon
    User

Aug 30, 2002, 6:27 PM

Post #27 of 39 (32838 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [Koifun] Filter Brushes [In reply to] Can't Post

Koifun,

Is your inlet water coming to the filter from the top ? If this is so, then I know why you can do a daily clean up of your white mat.

For both of mine ponds, the inlet is at the bottom. If my filter is 2.5ft deep, there is no way I can put so many white mat to trap the dirt. The dirt are trapped from bottom up. By the time, I can see dirt at the top of my filter, it means my filter is already choked.

I am have trying to figure out how you manage to clean only the top of the filter and after your explaination, I got the picture of your filter set up.

koifun
    Veteran

Aug 30, 2002, 7:21 PM

Post #28 of 39 (32837 views)
    Shortcut

Hi, Jsoon

Yup. My water inlet at the top. Now I see your reason. In that case yours is pump fed system - right? Your filter tank is at the same level as your FB koi tank and a pump is needed in the last compartment to pump back the water to tank - right?

Mine is a gravity fed system - water is pump up via a PVC pipe to the filter tank and drain back to pond by gravity. No wonder it doesn't work in your system. In this case, u must use brushes - I think brushes will work best in this system as the water is flowing upwards.

Pls let me know if it is not pump fed.

By the way, have got any brushes already?

CheersSly

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

jsoon
    User

Aug 31, 2002, 8:19 PM

Post #29 of 39 (32828 views)
    Shortcut

Koifun,

Yes, mine is pump fed filter system. Initially, I wanted to save money and space to get a gravity fed filter but after Eric's comment in the forum on 2 filter system, I decided to get the former even though it cost me some space on my tank.

I was at Mainland today and it was really hard to find the road that lead to it. I got the brushes (white) ones for $6.50 a piece.

I also purchase a UV light and the Japanese Blue mat. The funny thing is that initially I got 2 filter mats made of harder materials than the Blue Jap mat but it could fit into the car's boot nor the passenger seat. In the end, I have to change to the Jap's mat.

BTW, my contractor gave me some old green colour filter mat ( he made it clear to me) but I threw them outside my flat - I do not think I want it as it still smell. I have asked Mainland if these filter mat need to be replace and the answer is YES, every few years. Is this true ?

koifun
    Veteran

Sep 1, 2002, 8:55 AM

Post #30 of 39 (32824 views)
    Shortcut

Hi, Jsoon

So your is a pump fed system.

The blue Jap mat is rather expensive - I was quoted about $90 a piece but a very big one - if not wrong 4' x 8' or around there. If u ask them to cut into 2 x 1 feet will cost around $10. In the end, I took the used pale green mate which cost me about 2 x 3 feet for $10.00. Besides, I was told the used one tend to have good bacteria growth on it. It is true that the hard jap mat last very much longer - imagine used mat can cost so much!Sly

What is the length of the brushes u bought? I may also wish to get some to find out how good it is on my system.

How is your filter tank now? and the kois - are them ok?

CheersSlySly

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

jsoon
    User

Sep 1, 2002, 5:44 PM

Post #31 of 39 (32814 views)
    Shortcut

I paid $85 for the blue mat. It is 2m by 1m.

The brushes length is about 2ft, but you can cut it.

Oh...my tank just got repair. Initially, the Bangadesh workers told me that they have tested the tank to the full load but I found out that they only fill water to the half mark. Real lazy bumps!!! That why it leaks when I did the full load test by filling the water to the top. Really piss off by these workers.

I am really asking for all forum fellows who has deal with FG contractors what should I do when they delivered my tank. Patrick advised me to get from them a baclk and white of some gurantee free repair of workmanship...any other advices are welcome.

As for my Kois, most of my better prize ones are now at my uncle's place and so when my tank is ready I will transport them back.

koifun
    Veteran

Sep 2, 2002, 1:48 AM

Post #32 of 39 (32808 views)
    Shortcut

Hi, Jsoon

Sorry to hear that your tank is still leak despite being repaired.

Patrick is right - if I were u, I will also press for the black n white. Besides that you must ensure they deliver in your presence ; do a thorough check to ensure everything is properly done in their presence.

By the way have u got those changai wood and make a nice covering ?

CheersSly

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

jsoon
    User

Sep 2, 2002, 9:35 AM

Post #33 of 39 (32793 views)
    Shortcut

Koi Fun,

Do you know any carpenter ? I am looking for one to give me a good quote.

koifun
    Veteran

Sep 2, 2002, 12:32 PM

Post #34 of 39 (32786 views)
    Shortcut

Hi, JsoonCool

Frankly speaking I don't know any carpenter but it should not be difficult to find one.

Just go to this website :

http://www.yellowpages.com.sg/peoplesearch.shtml

Click "business" then search under carpenter. You will get a list of carpenters.

I have found one by this way not too long ago but due to delay in my engaging him, the link was broken. He charges $70 - $80 a day.

Try that and u will be able to find someone there. I have yet to engage one but soon I will require a carpenter to do some works. If you got a good one, pls let me know.

CheersCoolWink

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

jsoon
    User

Sep 3, 2002, 9:53 AM

Post #35 of 39 (32766 views)
    Shortcut

Hi Everyone,

I was looking at the picture of the filter brushes in this forum and I would like to ask what is that green colour netting for ?

Where can we get this type of netting and do we construct it ?

dttk
    Veteran

Sep 4, 2002, 7:11 AM

Post #36 of 39 (32759 views)
    Shortcut

Jsoon Smile, that is called carl-net or izeki-net. It also acts as a mechanical barrier to trap solids. It is available in some koi shops. Wink
    Always friendly :)

einig
    Novice

Mar 27, 2007, 2:12 PM

Post #37 of 39 (26685 views)
    Shortcut

can u recommend fg contractor to me.I want to make one[reply]

mumbly
    Novice

Mar 27, 2007, 9:11 PM

Post #38 of 39 (26670 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [einig] Filter Brushes [In reply to] Can't Post

can u recommend fg contractor to me.I want to make one

In Reply To

wow, ths thread is like 4 1/2 yrs old and still got reply? lol

In Reply To

einig
    Novice

Mar 28, 2007, 4:11 PM

Post #39 of 39 (26628 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [mumbly] Filter Brushes [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks mumbly wait till i dig my own pond

In Reply To

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
    Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
    No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
    For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com