Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Construction & Water Filtering System:
Step of Setting a Pond

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

newgen
User

Apr 19, 2002, 5:51 AM

Post #26 of 39 (29655 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doitsu] Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Doitsu!

Yeap! i'm 18! akakaka...where r u living? wanna meet someday after class?

Not at all! you are very wrong! i'm not wasting pallets! anyway, i'm learning alot of things and knowledge from the cheap once! they are fish too! and KOIS!!! CoolSmileWinkTongue

Best of luck!

John

johnson lee
Veteran

Apr 19, 2002, 5:52 AM

Post #27 of 39 (29655 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doitsu] Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileHi doitsu and newgen (John)

It is heartening to see younger people taking up this hobby!Wink I myself only started on this hobby about 1 yr ago and I am thankful for being spared much more heartache after reading up all the material in this forum.Cool From here, I found other websites Coolgiving additional info on health, diseases, medication etc.

So what I am trying to say is that rearing kois can be a lifelong hobby and there will also be ups and downs as well. What is important is not giving up after a 'disaster' occurs and some or all of your beloved kois dies. If one is committed to this, then we must keep trying until we succeed.

By the way John, the koi you mentioned is called a tancho (named after a Japanese crane with the same red colour and pattern). Doitsu, I would disagree with you regarding getting the really good kois in the beginning. I believe you mean, getting the more expensive ones right, like Japanese kois? When you start off, chances of making mistakes are high and you might kill some of the fishes. So it is better to start with less expensive kois, learn how to maintain the water quality and once you are more confident and perhaps more knowledgable, then you can safely embark on buying better and more expensive kois.

This is not to discourage but hopefully you can learn something from the mistakes we ourselves made in the past. Happy koi-keeping!Sly

Rgds

Johnson

newgen
User

Apr 19, 2002, 6:07 AM

Post #28 of 39 (29650 views)
Shortcut
Re: [johnson lee] Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Johnson Lee! Now i know they are called TANCHO! THEY ARE CUTE! ekekkee....

And i love this hobby! i really hope that i will have a pond for my fish...coz now i'm keeping them in aquaerium! really sorry to my beloved kois!!!!!!! PirateUnsure

Thanks everyone!

JOHN

newgen
User

Apr 19, 2002, 6:18 AM

Post #29 of 39 (29648 views)
Shortcut
Re: Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh Johnson!

Really glad that you hooked up with this really GOOD hobby! It's good to keep kois! and anyway! its not too late to do it! maybe it was too earlt for me i think! i started keeping kois when i was only 13(5 years ago)!

i got about 18 kois and they died 1 after another, and when i was 14, i finally know how to keep them well and healthy! i was very happy! Cool but i left 7 of them! and i keep them well until now! they are very healthy and cute! I LOVE THEM!!!!!Blush ahahahaha~!

I'm glad that they are alive!

John

johnson lee
Veteran

Apr 19, 2002, 7:05 AM

Post #30 of 39 (29646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [newgen] Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi John

I'm happy for you and wish you well. But always remember, the secret of keeping good healthy looking kois is to maintain good water quality! do water test regularly and I assure you, you will have many many good years of enjoyment!

Rgds

JohnsonCoolSmile

newgen
User

Apr 19, 2002, 10:24 AM

Post #31 of 39 (29641 views)
Shortcut

Erm.....but....Johnson! I don't know how to do water test one ar!
FrownCrazyUnsure

I really don't know! I just do it naturally and uses my "six sence"Tongue ekekeke.....

Anyway, ANYONE CAN TEACH ME HOW TO DO IT??? AND WHERE TO BUY THOSE LIQUED, PAPER OR WHATEVER TO TEST THE WATER?

PLS HELP ME!!!!!

THANKS!

John

johnson lee
Veteran

Apr 19, 2002, 11:08 AM

Post #32 of 39 (29640 views)
Shortcut
Re: [newgen] Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileHi John

Basically you can get the water test kit from any respectable aquarium shop. Tell them you want to buy ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and KH test kits. Each cost around RM25-35.

If you are near Damansara Utama, I can recommend you to this shop called Aquarium Marine Fresh S/B. I go there very often to buy my supplies and they provide friendly service and prices are reasonable as well.

The address: 52, JlnSS21/62, Damansara Utama. Go look for Tony, Susan or Victor and mention my name and they will help you and also give you discount!Wink

Once you get hold of the test kit, just read the instructions, they are simple. I normally get the tetra kit. There are also other brands like Azoo etc. Its really up to your budget.

Rgds

Johnson

KevKoi
Koi Kichi

Apr 19, 2002, 11:55 AM

Post #33 of 39 (29639 views)
Shortcut

HAve to agree with Johnson, u gotta get your test kits. U probably have to start with the basic 2 should you not be able to afford all of 'em at the same time. Start off with Ammonia and Nitrite. I use Azoo, and they're easy. Just take 5cc of water from you tank, put one tiny spoon (spoon provided) of the crystal into the water in the little vial (also provided), shake well, sit for a few minutes and check the colour to the colour chart (also provided!). If your water is as good as it is suppose to be, there should be no colour. After that, get a pH tester.... followed by the rest.

To be quite honest, 7 kois in a 4 foot aquarium is really pushing it..... and you say you've had them for a couple of years?

What I think doitsu meant in only keeping 'expensive' kois is that it's different keeping trully Japanese kois compared to the locally bred kois we get in M'sia. U don't have to buy the kois in their thousands of dollars to tell the difference. I guess what I'm saying is when you get your fiberglass tank, save up some money and spend it on a jap koi. If your water conditions are good, and you feed with good food u'll see it grow a WHOLE LOT FASTER than your locals. I've had 20cm kois bought at about RM180 grow to 450-500cm in a year. I guess the satisfaction is in that you see your fish GROW with all that expensive food you put in.

Good luck..... oh, and I started keeping local koi at 12yrs of age when my family bought a house with an indoor pond (see pic in members ponds), Japanese kois happened at 20yrs of age, never looked back and now my family has a 45000L pond in the garden. My parents think I'm nuts, my girlfriend thinks I'm nuts, my friends think I'm nuts.... and they're rite. Crazy LOL.

SlySly kev

johnson lee
Veteran

Apr 19, 2002, 12:04 PM

Post #34 of 39 (29638 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KevKoi] Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't worry Kev. If there is any comfort to you, I would think that most of us are 'nuts' too!Smile We spend most of our spare time fussing and fretting over the health of the kois, we can sit in front of the pond for hours just gazing at them swimming lazily in the water and we talk about koi all day long etc.WinkCoolSmile

We even spend time at this forum still talking about koi, in this case for a good cause, trying to help others to be a nut!Smile

I am proud to be called a koi-nutter!!Sly

Johnson

mattloui
User

Apr 21, 2002, 7:27 AM

Post #35 of 39 (29623 views)
Shortcut

Hi friends

After reading all the comments and the invaluable experiences from all of u, i would like to comment and seek advise on some issues:-

1) water tests apparatus

there are easily 6 to7 tests apparatus with each costing appro. RM 30 will amount to a total of RM 180 to RM 200. I could have got a beautiful kohaku or Sanke for this price.Cool So far i have only got two . Ammonia test is considered crucial cos' without it, the filter is not working. And if the filter is working, won't nitrites be ultimately be removed too; then is it necessary to test nitrites here??. For nitrates, if I have put money plant and some water plants in the pond; won't the nitrates be removed too.?? CrazyCooltherefore it is necessary to test for nitrites and nitrates if i have already tested for ammonia???TongueTongue Will appreciate some good advise here.Frown

Next, i have bought ph test just to determine the ph. But now with corals chips; is it still necessary to constantly test for Ph or Hardness.???Frown

not so much for money BUT i really would like to enjoy my kois w/o subjecting myself to constant testing of water when the kois do not show any signs of unhealthiness. Unsure

PL ADVISE WHETHER MY ASSUMPTION IS CORRECT. I AM PREPARED TO DO MORE IF I HAVE TO.Unimpressed

2) EXPENSIVE VIS-VIS CHEAP KOIS

Just for mention, a 20 cm koi at taman desa which i believe is imported from Japan costs RM 1,200 whereas a 20 cm relatively nice sanke costs RM 200 in Robson heights. What a world of difference OR is it really so. I don't know!!! MadMadBut what is important here is whether u like what u see. SO, just compromise and get something in-between and buy reasonble nice koi at reasonble price. Earlier in this forum, i have mentioned to newgen not to buy the RM 5 per fish cos' I reckon the appreciation of koi will very much be enhanced if the kois are reasonbly nice ones to maintain the "fire" going. Well, i guess it is a matter of choice.Pirate

3) NUTS or not NUTS for kois lovers

Well, anybody can call u nuts for spending so much time on something which do not even say Thank YOu after your sacrifices. Considered it as "vice" and this Vice will beats womanising, drinking alcohol, gambling,estacy and etc.Mad

I am also a music and movie freak, and i have easily 500-600 cd/vcds at home. Am i a music/movie NUT. LaughIf I am, then my Boss in the office is a worst NUT Piratecos he has a collection of 4000 cds and my GM is also a nut cos he has 3000 cds.Pirate

ENOUGH SAID, WHAT DO U THINK OF ITEM 2 AND 3.

BYE FOR NOW.
CHEERS

SMW1
Veteran

Apr 21, 2002, 11:37 AM

Post #36 of 39 (29618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mattloui] Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Mattloui,

I know that water testing kits are expensive and you are probably right that you caould have bought a nice Sanke for that price, however I can not strees enough how important the test kits are. You may have been able to buy a Sanke instead of the test kits, but if you bought that sanke, it along with our other koi have no chance, if you don't see th enitrite rising or PH crashing in advance. It's better to buy them now, then to have to rush out later, when you koi are jumping, flashing or laying at the bottom not eating.

Anyway answers to your questions:

1) Ok, Ammonia and PH, that's a good start. I would advise getting Nitrate and Nitrite as well. These 4 ar the most important ones, you will need. KH, Salinity, chlorine etc come later. Yes you are correct, Ammonia and Nitrites are th emost toxic to koi. These levels will be kept to a minimum by a good bio filter. It will stillbe necessary to test for Nitrites and Nitrate if you have tested water. If you have a level of 0.1 ammonia, you may not see a great difference in the Nitrite, however the nitrate could be anything. You are also correct in assuming plants will get rid of nitrates. Plants work very well as a vegi filter, along with a trickle tower this is the most effective way to reduce Nitrates. However, plants will do a better job in the stream or filter chamber, with water passing through them constantly, than in the pond. Coral chips will buffer PH, but will not control it.

As for constantly checking the water, I only check my water once a month and record the data, Iwill also check the water when something doesn't look quite right. i.e. 2 days ago, one of my ogon's flashed, so I check the water params, they were fine, so I took a scape of the ish and found samples of both Gyrodactylus (skin flukes) and Trichodina.

2) I would agree and disagree, I agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so if you like a koi and you think it's well worth the money, then it is cheap. I can not comment any mor on the pricing of koi and in th eUK, we have a differne tpricing system. i.e. everythink is so dam expensive Mad.

do not agree that newgen should not start with cheap koi. I can't remember if Newgen is new to the hobby or not (I'm talking practical experience here). If he is then I would sugest keeping cheap tester koi, just to get a feel for it. It's very hard if you see expensive koi you like to resist. But only time will tell how much you have learnt.

3) Spending timewith the koi, spending time with other peoples koi (in this forum), vistiting koi web pages, take drives at the weekend to visit koi farms and aquarium shops, with no intention of buying anything. I think koi kichi sums it up.Cool.

Also my koi say thank you in their own speacial way. I nettig a platinum Ogon a few days ok, put him in a display bowl for 30 mins, lifted him out, by hand a few times for detailed checks and a scape. Left him in the bowl (29", bowl not koi), while I check the results. When I release him back in the the pond, I decided to sit in my normal place which tells my koi its feeding time. And guess who was the first one up before I even threw and food in ?. Yes he was, as if to say, "Thanks for testing me for desiese, now that you have found what was causing me trouble, I'm sure you will fix it. Also while I am here can I have some food for being such a good patient ?"

I hope this ansers your question an also proves that we are all NUTS Crazy

Stuart

newgen
User

Apr 21, 2002, 3:50 PM

Post #37 of 39 (29611 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SMW1] Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi eveyone!

Actually, i fell that, cheap or expensive, real or not real, is not important to me! TongueSmileCool as long as, THEY ARE KOIS! maybe you all won't understand my situation now...Cool it's ok~

Stuart said, "I can't remember if Newgen is new to the hobby or not (I'm talking practical experience here)"

actually, i don't dare to say that i'm an expert or something like that, but i must admit that, I"M LEARNING GUYS! Cool and maybe i can say that i'm a person above beginner Wink, maybe~? who knows? no one is perfect right?

I don't care if they are cheap, i just wanna keep them! thats all!

Crazy me, right?

John

doitsu
Novice

Apr 22, 2002, 8:38 PM

Post #38 of 39 (29581 views)
Shortcut

Hi mattloui, Johnson, new gen, and Mark,

Yes, new gen, I think there are certain restrains you face that restricts you from buying Japanese kois. But rear what is within your limits until you can afford better ones.

Oh yes Johnson, thanks for the teaching about cheaper kois first. I do agree, but when my pond was completed the urge to fill it up with beautiful kois was just irresistable.
But I thank God that out of my first batch of 17 Japanese kois, only one died, my Asagi. But it is not due to bad water parameters, but it got through the netting in to the pump... yikes... it got beheaded!
The other 16 are still alive and they are the most active kois I've ever seen.

Yes, mattloui, I do agree with you. I also just test for Ammonia and ph as advised by my dealer. However, no offense to Mark. He has a point. Well, I just say that he has that extra care for his precious kois.

EErrr, I can't remeber who was the one that said the the Taman Desa dealer sells one for RM 1200 and Robson heights sells one for RM 100 -200. I think you are not too clear, though you may be right. Some varieties go for RM 1200 like their Shiro Utsuri. But their others are not to expensive. I bought my 30-inch Yamabuki Hariwake for RM 300. So, I guess some varieties are that expensive and some are not. I also think it depends on the farm they came from. For example, I got my kohaku's from a reputable farm (according to the dealer) which cost RM 350 ++ for a small 8-inch kohaku.

Thanks guys for adding more hipe in me in this crazy hobby! I love reading your comments and stories. Keep it up guys.LaughLaughLaughSly

ChengAun
Novice

Nov 20, 2010, 4:21 PM

Post #39 of 39 (9279 views)
Shortcut

hey! i go that same shop i think! is it the one with arowanas and other fish in the fron and 2 koi ponds at the back? Thats called Syarikat Lam Aquarium SDN BHD. been goin there for 5 years +

We Keep Koi's. We Dont Behave Like Them!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com