Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Construction & Water Filtering System:
Bubble Bead Filter

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

stevenc
Novice

Feb 22, 2001, 8:13 PM

Post #1 of 22 (67597 views)
Shortcut
Bubble Bead Filter Can't Post

I am intending to build a pond and am trying to get as much information as I can. Currently the size of the filter seems to be bothering me. I read something about a bubble bead filter and am quite interested mainly because of its small size.

Would anyone by any chance know where I can get one in KL.

Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Chan

Ben
User

Feb 25, 2001, 5:51 PM

Post #2 of 22 (67532 views)
Shortcut
Bubble Bead Filter [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not think that there is anyone selling this type of filter in Malaysia and most pond owners use the standard multi-chambers filter. If size is not a contraint, then the normal multi-chamber filter will be a better option.

stevenc
Novice

Feb 26, 2001, 8:31 PM

Post #3 of 22 (67532 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Ben.

As I live in a link house, space is limited and I will have to search for alternatives to the normal multiple chamber filters.

Presently my Kois are being reared in a fiber tub measuring 5x3x2ft

Meanwhile can you recommend to me an experienced pond builder.

Regards,
Steven Chan

Mark
Veteran

Feb 26, 2001, 8:45 PM

Post #4 of 22 (67532 views)
Shortcut

Hi
If space is a constraint, go for a trickle tower. You can DIY(very simple) it or get someone to build for you. Our senior member/hobbyist Mr Hans Ham is an expert in this area. Wirte to him at coolhill23@yahoo.com and I am sure he will be more than happy to help you.

Good luck.

(This post was edited by Mark Richman on Feb 2, 2003, 10:00 AM)

FrankChong
User

Feb 27, 2001, 6:57 AM

Post #5 of 22 (67532 views)
Shortcut

Steven,

Are you a handyman ? I have design a DIY sand filter. A friend of mine had constructed it and tried. It works beautifully at the moment without any problem. His pond is 80% under direct sun and no algae, ammonia and nitrite.

If you are keen, I could post the photograph, if you are really interested you can make a visit to see it youself.

stevenc
Novice

Feb 27, 2001, 8:52 PM

Post #6 of 22 (67532 views)
Shortcut

Frank,

Two things are new to me now.

What is (a) a trickle tower and (b) a sand filter.

If the sand filter works, I will try it. Would appreciate if I can have some guide as how to build one. My postal address is

Steven Chan
17.03 MCB Plaza, Cangkat Raja Chulan, 50200 Kuala Lumpur.

FrankChong
User

Feb 28, 2001, 6:54 AM

Post #7 of 22 (67532 views)
Shortcut

Steven,

There are a number of articles in this and other web sites to learn about different filter system. Learn as much as you can before deciding on a solution.

Let me have your email address, so I can post the photogragh to you.

Mark
Veteran

Feb 28, 2001, 7:26 AM

Post #8 of 22 (67532 views)
Shortcut

Hi Frank
Could you post the picture and the contruction methods. I am very interested to learn new stuff.

Thanks in advance.

FrankChong
User

Feb 28, 2001, 10:34 PM

Post #9 of 22 (67532 views)
Shortcut

Photograghs have been posted to webmaster. Lets wait for him to post at this site.

Photo A, give you an idea of space utilisation. Traditional filters need not be inground. It could be in the air, just like what I have done for my aeration channel. The photo shows the return channel built on top of my perimeter fencing. It does not occupy any land, in addition it enhances the aesthetic view of my fence. (I thought so)

This water channel was built with the intention of making a vegetation filter. I discarded the idea when the water hycynth died making the water stinks. The water channel was infested with snails which I could not get rid of until today. I am toying with hydroponic plants now or just add filter material.

In my initial design, I wanted to have facilities to expand my filtration capacity when the need arises. This is one idea to incorporate a water feature and to convert it into filter when needed. The water channel runs from rear fencing around the perimeter until the water return.

Photo B
Shows the DIY sand filter. Some hobbyist would have bad experience with sand filters already. It always clogged and is very hard to clean. This is true if one uses a standard swimming pool type sand filter for the job. A standard swimming pool sand filter is filled with fine sand particles capable of filtering particles down to 5 microns size. It is excellent in keeping swimming pool clean.

However, if one uses it in a koi pond. The sticky and slimy waste would clog up the filter in a couple of hours.

The DIY sand filter uses small marble chips, the type they us in making Terazo flooring tiles. Particle size is about 3 to 5 mm, this would prevent filter clog. If you need to buffer the water, use calcium carbonate chips. Possibilities are endless.

The five 1.5 inches ball valves are arranged to enable one to do backwashing, rinsing and normal filter operation. This filter though is compact in size but require daily backwashing. If you have a pond size of 1000 gallon, a sand filter drum size of 42 gallon should be sufficiently oversized. The advantage of using sand filter is that, there is no back breaking job of cleaning filter material. Just turn the ball valves, it would be backwashed discarding old and new waste in one go. The disadvantage is that you have to do it daily.

If you can spare the money, there is an auto backwash type available in the market now. This guy borrowed my idea after I complained to him that I need to spend Rm 12,000.00 to buy actuator valves to make an autobackwash system on the DIY sand filter.

This guy adapted his sand filter with a autobackwash mechanism and I believe is going for a couple of thousand ringgit.

Try the DIY idea, start with small budget, if it works then only think of auto version.

Note: The buble bead filter works on the similar pricinciple. The difference is, the plastic beads being light, floats. Pond water is pumped into bottom of filter container, water is filtered passing through the beads and discharged at the top of filter. The advantage of this system is, the waste could be drained and discharged easily. Plastic beads are light making it very easy to backwash.

Khoobg
Webmaster

Mar 1, 2001, 5:44 AM

Post #10 of 22 (67532 views)
Shortcut

Pics by Frank Chong

(This post was edited by Khoobg on Apr 2, 2003, 10:00 AM)

ngyp
Novice

Mar 1, 2001, 8:43 PM

Post #11 of 22 (67532 views)
Shortcut

Hi Frank,

Normal swimming pool sand filter will require powerful pump to force the water through the minute sand particles. In the case of your filter that use bigger filter medium, what is the type and pump used to feed the water into the filter. Also interested to know any reinforcement made on the cover of the container to make it able to take the pressure.

FrankChong
User

Mar 2, 2001, 7:43 AM

Post #12 of 22 (67532 views)
Shortcut

This container was bought from scrap yard. It is a standard drum for storing chemical. It came with a metal locking ring.

A standard submersible pump is use in this installation, Dab pump from Italy. It would be changed to Omni pump soon.

The top cover is not pressure tight unless new packing rubber is replaced, when water streak out, it is an indication a backwash is required.

stevenc
Novice

Mar 5, 2001, 8:07 PM

Post #13 of 22 (67532 views)
Shortcut

Frank,

Very interesting the trickle filter. Do you use this with the aeration channel in photo A. If this has been used succefully, what is the size of that pond.

What is the size of the drum in the picture and where might the scrap yard be.

FrankChong
User

Mar 6, 2001, 7:06 AM

Post #14 of 22 (67533 views)
Shortcut

The sand filter is in my neighbour's house. It is serving a pond size of 1500 gallon. You can get the drum in Kepong area. If you drive from Kepong towards NKVE highway, look out on your right hand side. There is a hugh drum depot selling all kinds of secondhand drums.

Photo A water channel is my pond, it is 40 tons size, my inground filter chamber is another 5 tons.

Happy hunting.

stevenc
Novice

Mar 14, 2001, 8:47 PM

Post #15 of 22 (67532 views)
Shortcut

This is what I wrote to Doc Conrad. Maybe someone here will be able to give me answers.

Thanks

"Dear Doc,

I have noticed your immense contribution to the Malaysia KOI Forum regarding filtration and since I read that you use bead filters, I am writing to you direct rather that post it to the forum (which I also did) since the we do not have bead filters in Malaysia.

When you say you use bead filters, do you mean something like bubble bead filters. If so, I wish to DIY one as we can't get it here in Malaysia. I have seen a drawing of one but since I am new to the KOI hobby, I do not know what the beads are made of and what they look like.

If possible, could you send me a picture of what the beads look like or maybe a type of substitute which may be available here in Malaysia.

Reason for interest in bead filters is that I suffer from a lack of space to build a pond and would like to devote as much space in my (already small) garden to the pond and less (as little as possible) to the conventional in ground filters.

Thanking you in advance."

Mike
New User

Mar 20, 2001, 11:21 AM

Post #16 of 22 (67532 views)
Shortcut

Here's the URL of a site for a DIY Bead Filter:
http://home.netcom.com/~larry_l/diy_bead.htm

stevenc
Novice

Mar 20, 2001, 8:40 PM

Post #17 of 22 (67532 views)
Shortcut

Mike, Thanks a million.

On the point of a trickle filter, I have made one uising an 18" high clay flower pot filled with bio balls. WOW!!!

I have in my 5'x2.5'x1.5' fiber tub, 6 koi averaging 15" each and 3 averaging 6" each, and had cloudy water which I cannot see the fish even though the water was only 15" deep.

BUT NOW I have clear water in just 4 days. The only other filter that I use is a 'cylindrical type'12" high filter with a pump head (for use with aquariums).

UNBELIEVABLE.

EBNG
Novice

May 22, 2001, 7:38 AM

Post #18 of 22 (67532 views)
Shortcut

Dear Mr Frank Chong,

I am trying to build a DIY sand filter for my koi pond and your system looks ideal for me. I can roughly figure out how it works but am not too sure. Could you be kind enough to post a schematic of your DIY system, i.e. where the water gets into the system (from bottom?) and where is the outlet? How are the various valves used to backwash the filter?

I would appreciate if you could share your scheme with me.

Thanks

Eng Bin

FrankChong
User

May 23, 2001, 8:25 AM

Post #19 of 22 (67534 views)
Shortcut

The system schematic is shown under this thread.
http://www.koi.com.my/...um4/HTML/000148.html

The schematic is for Polypropelene Plastic bead filter. Water enters at the bottom and comes out on top. Sand filters will have the water entering from the top and discharge at the bottom.

Print out the schematic and flip the schematic upside down you have a sand filter.

Anyone interested in a proper sand filter, Waterco has a factory in Shah Alam. Lookup in yellow pages and ask for their distributors.

FrankChong
User

May 23, 2001, 8:37 AM

Post #20 of 22 (67533 views)
Shortcut

OOPS, The above thread does not lead to the correct site.

The discussion was posted under "Pond Construction & water filtering system",
"DIY PP Bead Filter".

Cheers

arifbakri
Novice

May 29, 2001, 8:33 AM

Post #21 of 22 (67532 views)
Shortcut

For those who have limited space and who are interested in building a DIY trickle tower, which is not only very effective but also extremely attractive, click here
http://www.arifbakri.com/fish_pond/

and choose filter system. I designed and constructed this my own (and the pond too) and all my water parameters are good (and the water is crystal clear). Good luck

Ivar
New User

May 29, 2001, 3:57 PM

Post #22 of 22 (67532 views)
Shortcut

Look at http://www.estrad.nl/...ned/IndexDealers.htm
There are dealers who sel Bubble Bead in Malysia

Ivar

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com