Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Construction & Water Filtering System:
DIY PP Bead Filter

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

FrankChong
User

Apr 18, 2001, 7:00 PM

Post #1 of 38 (109423 views)
Shortcut
DIY PP Bead Filter Can't Post

Earlier on I have posted a photo on DIY sand filter. This PP Bead Filter is an improvement over the sand filter.

PP stands for Polypropelene, I call it PP Bead because the plastic bead used is Polypropelene bead. It has a relative density of 0.92 (or so) so it floats.

Water would be drawn from the pond and pumped to the bottom of bead filter. It filters through the beads and come out at the top of drum. The five valves are there to enable filtration, backwashing and rinsing.

The advantage it has over the sand filter is obvious. The beads are light and it floats, when backwashed the fish waste could easily be dislodged and drain off from the bottom of the filter.

If your existing pond is having green water problem try using this filter as your prefilter. Pump the water through PP bead filter first and then discharge it to your existing bio filter. It should cure the problem.

If it is intended as stand alone filter, I have no idea what size of pond it could support at this moment. This is new, I am trying it out on a 1000 gallon pond. I will be able to give feedback in a couple of months.

One word of caution, please allow the beads to be soaked for 4 weeks and clean off regularly any residual chemical it may have left behind during the bead manufacturing process.

Khoobg
Webmaster

Apr 18, 2001, 8:06 PM

Post #2 of 38 (109293 views)
Shortcut
DIY PP Bead Filter [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Khoobg on Jun 4, 2002, 9:00 AM)

Geo Mar
Novice

Apr 18, 2001, 8:28 PM

Post #3 of 38 (109301 views)
Shortcut

I am very happy to do one like this. What is beads? got picture to see?

FrankChong
User

Apr 19, 2001, 5:35 AM

Post #4 of 38 (109292 views)
Shortcut

The beads is polypropelene plastic bead. It is use as raw material for plastic injection moulding.

The beads are the white colour stuff in the drum.

ngyp
Novice

Apr 19, 2001, 7:21 AM

Post #5 of 38 (109293 views)
Shortcut

Hi Frank,

Is this type of filter more effective as a Mechanical or Biological filter ?

FrankChong
User

Apr 19, 2001, 8:09 AM

Post #6 of 38 (109292 views)
Shortcut

This filter is more effective as mechanical filter. Its ability to trap solids is very much better compared to Japanese mats.

If your present filter system is under capacity, it would be ideal to use the bead filter to trap most of the waste and discharge it daily. Leaving whatever fine waste particles that escape this filter to your existing filter.

However, same as sand filter, the bead filter must be backwash on a daily basis to dislodge the waste. Otherwise you will observe the water being filtered will reduce to a trickle. It is possible to make it to have automatic backwash function, but it will cost a bomb not advisible.

While this size of bead filter can work effectively as prefilter for a 20 ton pond. I would only recommend for a 1000 to 2000 gallon pond if use alone.

stevenc
Novice

Apr 22, 2001, 9:19 PM

Post #7 of 38 (109292 views)
Shortcut

FrankChong,

That's a very interesting piece of DIY Filter.

Can you please tell us where we can get the beads and if there are different sizes of beads. and the cost.

Maybe you can let us have a drawing showing the water flow cos the piping looks complicated in the picture.

If you remember, you were the person who first directed me to build a filter and the trickle filter that I built was a success.

Thanks

FrankChong
User

Apr 23, 2001, 7:34 AM

Post #8 of 38 (109293 views)
Shortcut

I will post schematic drawing later to illustrate the working principle.

Khoobg
Webmaster

Apr 24, 2001, 10:59 PM

Post #9 of 38 (109294 views)
Shortcut

Khoobg
Webmaster

Apr 25, 2001, 3:49 AM

Post #10 of 38 (109297 views)
Shortcut

Frank,

What is the size of pump you use to feed pond water through this filter ?

FrankChong
User

Apr 25, 2001, 6:38 AM

Post #11 of 38 (109291 views)
Shortcut

The above diagram shows the working principle of bead filter.

1. For normal filter operation, turn valve F to on position. Close all other valves. For bead filter, water enters through the bottom and come out from top of drum. ( Top Photo shows the version water enter from the top and discharge at the bottom. )

2. To backwash turn valve B to on position, off all other valves. Duration 2 to 3 mins

3. To rinse turn valve F near inlet and valve R to on, turn all other valves off. (Duration 30 seconds)

The pump use is Omni by Tsurumi of Japan. Standard low head pump. Flowrate is good.
Polypropelene beads could be purchased from small factories doing plastic injection. Titan in JB manufactures Polypropelene, ask them for their distributors and dealer. If you have difficulties send me an email, I could pull a string. If you look into yellow pages you can find plenty of them doing plastic injection.

dennis yu
New User

Apr 29, 2001, 5:46 AM

Post #12 of 38 (109291 views)
Shortcut

Hi Frank,

What do you mean by "turn valve F near inlet". Pls elaborate further.

thanks,
Dennis YU

FrankChong
User

Apr 29, 2001, 9:06 AM

Post #13 of 38 (109292 views)
Shortcut

There are 2 valves marked F. One at the filter outlet and the other at the filter inlet.

For rinsing operation you turn the valve F at the filter inlet and valve R to ON. Turn all other valves OFF.

dennis yu
New User

Apr 30, 2001, 4:39 AM

Post #14 of 38 (109294 views)
Shortcut

thanks frank.

alecb
New User

Sep 7, 2003, 1:57 AM

Post #15 of 38 (107822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FrankChong] DIY PP Bead Filter [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent piece of DIY, excuse my ignorance, but can you tell me what percentage of the drum is filled with the PP beads, and what size is the drum, do you need the lid air tight on the top.

I understand that this is your only mechanical filtratration in your system? And would it be possible to have a flow of 15000 Litres.

Thanks in advance for sharing your efforts with us.

koi aku
User

Mar 14, 2005, 7:06 PM

Post #16 of 38 (101492 views)
Shortcut

Hi Frank,

I am using the drum as my filter container. It was done back in 2002 and it works fantastically until now. The difference is only on the complicated piping attached to the drum. It is such an exellence effort.

Would u care building one for me. I ll bear all the costs and sweat.

Bach

dho
New User

Mar 15, 2005, 3:00 PM

Post #17 of 38 (101460 views)
Shortcut
Re: [koi aku] DIY PP Bead Filter [In reply to] Can't Post

Does anyone know who sells these PP beads or do you have to be in the plastic moulding industry?

allau
New User

Jul 17, 2005, 7:06 PM

Post #18 of 38 (98346 views)
Shortcut

I have read your DIY PP Brad Filter with much interest. I like to build one my self and try some water jets to automate the wash process. But before I start, would appreciate you can advice me where can I buy the PP Bead. I stay in Koto Damansara P.J. Thanks.

larz1
Veteran

Aug 11, 2005, 1:52 AM

Post #19 of 38 (97600 views)
Shortcut

I've been curious to hear how your PP bead filter is performing. It looks and sounds like it has much potential. Any progress reports to give to the forum?

FrankChong
User

Aug 16, 2005, 11:33 AM

Post #20 of 38 (97349 views)
Shortcut

Oops, you woke me up from my hibernation. This filter was done 4 years ago for my neighbour's 1000 gallon pond. Since then I have found a new hobby, been trying hard to keep my handicap low.
Ok, since then I have made some improvement to the filter. I have enlarged the inlet and discharge pipe inside the drum to much bigger pipe. As this filter is the only filter for the pond, the pump sometimes suck up leaves and algae and get clogged in the pipe. By enlarging the inlet and discharge pipe inside the drum chances of pipe clog has been reduced. Another improvement made was to enclose the submersible pump in the settlement with japanese matt so that no large debris could be brought into the filter thereby eliminate pipe clogging problem.

The filter remains in working condition, pond clear as ever.

GCSpyder
Veteran

Aug 16, 2005, 11:53 AM

Post #21 of 38 (97343 views)
Shortcut

Hi Frank,

Glad to hear that you are out of your slumber. Wanted to contact you in the past but could not reach you via pm as yours is not activated. You can check that under your profile.

Essentially what I automated my flushing system, similar to your setup but encountered alot of problems with leaking at the solenoid valves due to clogging. I have since replaced with actuated ball valve. Works well so far.

Is your system still running?

Cheers..

FrankChong
User

Aug 17, 2005, 4:13 AM

Post #22 of 38 (97309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GCSpyder] DIY PP Bead Filter [In reply to] Can't Post

I replaced my solenoid valve quite a while back. Now I am using 2 inch diameter stainless steel ball valves with electric actuator. It is timed to open for 1.5 minute every morning at 7.00 am. Everything cleaned while I am still in bed. If there is a malfunction I would notice it during feeding time at 8 am. So far no problem.

I have used solenoid valves in projects related to tap water. But first time in fish pond. The pilot hole regulates the opening and closing of valve keep fouling up. Finally got fed up with weekly cleaning I replace it with ball valves.

GCSpyder
Veteran

Aug 17, 2005, 6:29 AM

Post #23 of 38 (97299 views)
Shortcut

Hi Frank,

Good to hear from you. I replaced the solenoid valve for the same reason that you are encoutering. I replaced it with a Georg Fischer electric ball valve. Like the colour too. Smile I am still flushing 3-4x times a day on timer. The first time is the same time as yours at 7am. Unlike you, I will be at the pond admiring the flushing. Tongue

Cheers..

ja10son
New User

Dec 7, 2005, 11:03 AM

Post #24 of 38 (94851 views)
Shortcut

CrazyCan anyone help me? Where can I get those propylene beads in Kuantan? I'm planning to build a PP bead filter by this year end. Thanks in advance.

lcs
User

Dec 14, 2005, 4:57 AM

Post #25 of 38 (94671 views)
Shortcut

hi koi lover,
since u have done this. can i know how much u bough this PP bead? come in sand pack or count in kg? thanks in advance..

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com