Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Construction & Water Filtering System:
Filter Brushes

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Mikey
User

Jul 26, 2002, 9:38 PM

Post #1 of 39 (75073 views)
Shortcut
Filter Brushes Can't Post

Hello everyone

i was wondering if filter brushes are as effective (or more) as filter padding if placed in one of the chambers of my filter(removing the filter padding in its place)?
Mikey
KoiFind.com

koifun
Veteran

Jul 29, 2002, 4:10 AM

Post #2 of 39 (74982 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mikey] Filter Brushes [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Mikey

Can u enlighten me what type of brushes are u refering to? I am currently using some normal coconut brushes ( the traditional brush for washing ) in my 1st compartment upon Dr. Tan advice but I was not sure whether the brushes I used were correct? May Dr. please confirm - thanks.

However, after replacing of my normal mate/bioball with brushes, I am yet to see the difference . I might be using the wrong thing - that is why I do not see the benefit as yet.

Rgds

• "Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. - Euripides"
  • CoolSmileTongueSmile

KevKoi
    Koi Kichi

Jul 29, 2002, 4:36 AM

Post #3 of 39 (74978 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [Koifun] Filter Brushes [In reply to] Can't Post

Coconut brushes? Now that's new..... I'm using black plastic brushes. The brushes are about 2ft long. Hung from the top of the settlement chamber pretty close to each other... touching each other. Gee, I must have like 30+ brushes in the settlement chamber. How big is your filter and most importantly how big is your settlement and how many brushes are there? It's suppose to be quite a few brushes in there.

The brushes are especially made for filters and not the cleaning brushes. Where are u from? U can get the brushes from koi dealers and some big fish shops.

koifun
    Veteran

Jul 29, 2002, 4:56 AM

Post #4 of 39 (74976 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [KevKoi] Filter Brushes [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, thanks for the quick response!

Judging from what u said , I am definitely on the wrong end. No wonder I don't get the benefits as advice.

Thanks again - I will get them replace right away.

By the way, I used coconut brush thinking that it will do no harm even if it is wrong. My filter tank is very small - 3' x 4' x1.5'.

Rgds

Singapore

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

koifun
    Veteran

Jul 29, 2002, 6:53 AM

Post #5 of 39 (74966 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [KevKoi] Filter Brushes [In reply to] Can't Post

Went round a few famous and relatively big fish shops here but none seems to know what I want.

Anyway, unsure of what it is I finally replace out my "brushes" with more softer mates.

Thanks.

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

cwloo
    User

Jul 29, 2002, 8:47 AM

Post #6 of 39 (74962 views)
    Shortcut

I dont' think you be able to get the brush from normal fish shop. Try hardware shop .. they might have it. I took the brush image from the pond of David.

dttk
    Veteran

Jul 29, 2002, 10:40 AM

Post #7 of 39 (74955 views)
    Shortcut

Hi Koifun Smile, looks like I need to step in to clear my name...Crazy. I did mention brushes but I don't recall saying coconut brushes Blush. Seriously, any type of brush will do as long as they are easy to clean, durable and arranged correctly. What the brushes are made of is not important as long as they're non-toxic. By the way, what do you mean by "yet to see the difference?" Smile. For your info, brushes are used as mechanical barrier to trap solid waste. If your coconut brushes are arranged correctly, I'm sure they'll be able to trap alot of solid waste as well...Wink. have a great day!
    Always friendly :)

koifun
    Veteran

Jul 29, 2002, 5:48 PM

Post #8 of 39 (74936 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [dttk] Filter Brushes [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Dr. TanSly

Sorry to make u feel that way.Cheers!Sly

You are right u did not mention about the coconut brushes to me and I didn't mean that tooSly. It was me assuming that coconut brushes may be the correct ones thinking that even if it is wrong it will not do any harm to the fish ( i.e. why I didn't clarify with u again - my apology) and that at the most it will not improve the condition of water but definitely not making it worse. By saying " yet to see the difference" means that before and after change to brushes, I have not seen any significant change in the water quality - that was the reason why I thought I was not using the right brushes as recomended by u.

All along and still the same, I have high regards to your suggestions for improving any thing pertaining to koi matter whether to me or others koi keepers. Sly

Hope I have clear your misunderstanding.

Best regards

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

chong
    User

Jul 29, 2002, 5:52 PM

Post #9 of 39 (74933 views)
    Shortcut

SmileHi dttk ,

Are brushes good as biological filter media ? [because brushes are cheaper than mats Blush] .

By the way , what is carlnet ? Where can it be bought ?

Regards

koifun
    Veteran

Jul 29, 2002, 5:57 PM

Post #10 of 39 (74931 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [cwloo] Filter Brushes [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, cwloo

Thanks for the the pictures of the brushes. I will try to check with hardware shop . Your filter compartment is much bigger than mine. Mine is much smaller and if they sell only standard size brushes ( 2 ft length I suppose), I doubt it can fit into my compartment . The picture however gives me a better idea to improvise in the event i can not get one to fit my tank.

Have a nice daySly

Best Regards

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

koifun
    Veteran

Jul 29, 2002, 6:11 PM

Post #11 of 39 (74929 views)
    Shortcut

Dr. Tan

When I read my previous post again, I do feel that u have a valid reason to misunderstand my wordings especially the wording of " as per Dr. Tan advice " - actually I meant to say that you advised me to use brushesSly and not specifically " coconut brushes" but unfortunately I didn't have time to read proof it.Sly

Very sorry for that and have a very nice day.

Best Regards

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

dttk
    Veteran

Jul 30, 2002, 4:54 AM

Post #12 of 39 (74919 views)
    Shortcut

Good morning Koifun Smile, don't worry! I've not been taking it seriously all along and thanks for all the kind words Sly. I've used coconut brushes as mechanical barrier in my small FG filterbox during my early years in this hobby Smile. It did quiet a good job of removing solids and the water was clear. These brushes are also easy to clean by flushing with water. The only problems with them are the bristles drop off quite easily and the iron wire that binds them together rusts very easily. My intention for using them was not for growing good bacteria but for mechanical filtration. Smile.

dttk
    Veteran

Jul 30, 2002, 5:29 AM

Post #13 of 39 (74915 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [chong] Filter Brushes [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Chong Smile, yes, I believe brushes are also good as bio-media. I'm not sure if they could support more bacteria than mats. However, both are quite easy to clean. Carlnet is available in koi shops like Zen Watergarden, etc. I don't think you'll find them in aquarium shops. David Ngie's filtration system uses it. Click on the link to see it Smile.

www.koi.com.my/d13.htm

(This post was edited by dttk on Jul 30, 2002, 5:41 AM)

koifun
    Veteran

Jul 30, 2002, 7:45 AM

Post #14 of 39 (74900 views)
    Shortcut

Hi, Dr. Tan

Glad to hear of the positive note from u. Sly

Yeah, the coconut brush with iron tends to rust in time and drop off - that were also exactly my consideration at first but they were dirt cheap for trying out. So far, all the media I used I hardly detect any significant different except for the soft mate ( come in either green or blue from Taiwan about 1 inch thick but soft to touch ) which is very effective but tend to spoil very fast after some washing ( cotton material coming off ) and need to be replaced. The hard Japanese mate,however, other than being durable and good to look at seems to be too porous for mechanical filtration and is rather expensive too - I am not sure of its absolute effectiveness as it seems to be able to do without it. However, I do find that the soft mate is so important to me that by excluding them the water turns cloudy overnight. Of course, the Hard mate may have ability as biological filtration which can not be seen on the water. Since the usefullness can not be noticed, it depends on experienced users' advice or write-out explaining the action and experimental results. In my case, with the hard jap mate , nitrite level still appears to be around 0.1 ppm - though not alarming.

Just try to share my experience for comment.

Thanks and best regards!

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

Mikey
    User

Aug 5, 2002, 9:37 AM

Post #15 of 39 (74867 views)
    Shortcut

Wow! i wasnt aware that there were posts to my question. the filter chamber i have it 2 feet by four feet. If filter brushes are set up correctly could it trap more or as much as a medium coarse filter matting?
    Mikey
    KoiFind.com

hobie
    Novice

Aug 8, 2002, 11:55 PM

Post #16 of 39 (74844 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [Mikey] Filter Brushes [In reply to] Can't Post

please have a look at the following web site ....

http://www.blackknight.co.uk/

this in my opinion is a top quality U.K. manufacturer of filter brushes who use stainless steel so no rusting problems .... the site has many sections on how to use brushes etc so look at all sections and I am sure you will learn much

koifun
    Veteran

Aug 9, 2002, 5:55 AM

Post #17 of 39 (74835 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [hobie] Filter Brushes [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Hobbie

Thanks for the introduction of the web site. It is indeed informative - I got a much bettee idea of how it works now.

Ultimately, I will have to replace all the coconut brush/ soft mat if I can find the right brush here.

Good day!!!Laugh

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

jsoon
    User

Aug 19, 2002, 6:25 AM

Post #18 of 39 (74795 views)
    Shortcut

talking about brushes, are these more better in removing debris compare to Jap mat.

Which method is better ?

In the first chamber where the inlet is -

Should put brushes and arrange them vertically or should I put mat and stack them in horizontally ?

patrick123
    Veteran

Aug 19, 2002, 11:06 AM

Post #19 of 39 (74781 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [jsoon] Filter Brushes [In reply to] Can't Post

Jsoon,

The reason brushes are chosen is because it is alot easier to remove debris from them than jap mat. Jap mat are meant for bio chambers to colonize the good bacteria.

To remove debris from brushes, all you have to do is to give it a good shake and all the debris will come out. To remove debris from Jap mat, you probably need to invest into a jet spray to spray the mat.

Cheers,
    Patrick

koifun
    Veteran

Aug 19, 2002, 7:07 PM

Post #20 of 39 (74768 views)
    Shortcut

Hi, Jsoon

I has removed the coconut brushes from the first chamber as I thought since it is not the right type I might as well use mat.

Right now my first chamber consist of stack of media - bottom layer a plastic tray with filled with vertical stack of brush fibres about 20 pieces of 5" x 8 "( like a thin mat of 2 mm thinckness) ; middle layer a TT plastic tray with 2 sheets of hard Jap mat placed in horizontal position; top layer a TT tray with four pieces of white soft/medium mat in horizontal to remove dedris directly from the water inlet PVC pipe. White colour mats are good as it is easily visible when dirty - but I change them every morning . Less than 5 mins job and the pond is crystal clear all the time. The dirty ones will be soaked in a pail of water and washed when my maid is free and get ready for next day chnage. Other than that, I don't need to wash or do any thing else to the filter tank as all other mat in the other chambers are always clean now. I find this method of maintenance the filter tank effective as I have 18 kois ranging from 55 cm to 10 cm living happily in a 600 gallon pond which is suppose to be over crowded but the water parameters are very good. I only test for ammonia, nitrite and pH but not nitrate which i think should be ok.

I also drain my filter bottom about 1 - 2% water daily to water my plants.

I also have another additional small filter tank made of round blue industrial barrel - a small size one. This is filled with shells ,coral stone and larva stone. They are separated by japanese mat in the barrel . The incoming water from pond go straight into the bottom via a 16mm PVC pipe and filter its way up before return into the pond. This is also equiped with bottom drain which I use to water my other plants daily as do in my main filter tank.

Hope my experience is of use to you.

CheersSly

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

jsoon
    User

Aug 27, 2002, 11:04 AM

Post #21 of 39 (74716 views)
    Shortcut

Just called up Mainland and they are selling white colour brushes...

where can we get black brushes or green colour ones ?

patrick123
    Veteran

Aug 27, 2002, 2:23 PM

Post #22 of 39 (74704 views)
    Shortcut

Jsoon,

Is color really that important? You are going to cover it up right?

I'm really surprise since the last time I visited mainland, I saw a lot of black brushes but they were pretty long...about 2-3ft in lenght. Don't know if you can fit these into your tank or you may have to cut them in half.

Cheers,
    Patrick

jsoon
    User

Aug 28, 2002, 3:55 AM

Post #23 of 39 (74697 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [patrick123] Filter Brushes [In reply to] Can't Post

It just that white colour brushes..first time I heard of it...maybe someone did though of that idea of white because you can see the dirt trap in it and rinse it away...

koifun
    Veteran

Aug 28, 2002, 5:01 AM

Post #24 of 39 (74693 views)
    Shortcut

Jsoon,

I don't use brush. Instead I have been using white spongy filter material ( I call it soft Jap mat ) and change daily. It work wonderfully well - imagine I have 18 - 20 kois and 1 talapin, some guppies in my FB pond. The water parameter so far after two month experiment is very good, water clear and most importantly my kois are happy.

With this daily change of filter media of 5 min job [the dirty filter media - about 2 - 3 or more depending on the need can then be soaked and washed as and when free - just flush with water ; but when the fibres are getting loose after washing for a few times, I will dispose it off - one pack of 5 - 6 media cost $2SlySly].

I believe this way of handling filter can only work for small pond when the pond get bigger, the filter size needs to be bigger and changing out can be a nuisance - brush will be better. I think dttk or Johnson will agree with me as theirs are big ponds. I implement this out of no choice as I could not get the right type of brushes in the beginning .

I do drain my filter tank bottom very often to ensure the overflow dirt at the bottom be cleared as this bottom slug may make the water a little unpleasant due to H2S and this is potentially hazard to the kois.This could be done within 5 min and the water of the bottom will be drained directly to the plant sorrounding it.

I can feed my kois as much as I can without jeopardizing the quality of water ( in the event that I feel need, I just replace the filter )SlySly. Besides, my main filter tank is about 12% of the pond size which save a lot of space and with a insignificantly small additional filter tank, the total filtering capacity is still less than 20% of the pond size. This is revolutional against the generally accepted 30% figure.

However, having said that, this is still in the stage of experimenting and only time will tell whether it is effective but so far so good.

I will post my filter through dttk for your reference as my pic sizes are too big for direct posting here. Thanks dttk Smilefor giving u the trouble.

CheersCoolCool

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

jsoon
    User

Aug 30, 2002, 10:22 AM

Post #25 of 39 (74661 views)
    Shortcut

In Reply To
    Jsoon,

I don't use brush. Instead I have been using white spongy filter material ( I call it soft Jap mat ) and change daily. It work wonderfully well - imagine I have 18 - 20 kois and 1 talapin, some guppies in my FB pond. The water parameter so far after two month experiment is very good, water clear and most importantly my kois are happy.

With this daily change of filter media of 5 min job [the dirty filter media - about 2 - 3 or more depending on the need can then be soaked and washed as and when free - just flush with water ; but when the fibres are getting loose after washing for a few times, I will dispose it off - one pack of 5 - 6 media cost $2SlySly].

I believe this way of handling filter can only work for small pond when the pond get bigger, the filter size needs to be bigger and changing out can be a nuisance - brush will be better. I think dttk or Johnson will agree with me as theirs are big ponds. I implement this out of no choice as I could not get the right type of brushes in the beginning .

I do drain my filter tank bottom very often to ensure the overflow dirt at the bottom be cleared as this bottom slug may make the water a little unpleasant due to H2S and this is potentially hazard to the kois.This could be done within 5 min and the water of the bottom will be drained directly to the plant sorrounding it.

I can feed my kois as much as I can without jeopardizing the quality of water ( in the event that I feel need, I just replace the filter )SlySly. Besides, my main filter tank is about 12% of the pond size which save a lot of space and with a insignificantly small additional filter tank, the total filtering capacity is still less than 20% of the pond size. This is revolutional against the generally accepted 30% figure.

However, having said that, this is still in the stage of experimenting and only time will tell whether it is effective but so far so good.

I will post my filter through dttk for your reference as my pic sizes are too big for direct posting here. Thanks dttk Smilefor giving u the trouble.

CheersCoolCool

Koifun,

I used to try using white spong form but realise that it tend to choke and block my water flow. Also, I have to clean it every other day to get rid of the dirt. There was one time when I was away and did not clean it for more than two week and my entire filter was choke and the water overflow out. I think, mat or brushes is better for me.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
    Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
    No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
    For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com