Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Construction & Water Filtering System:
Need advice on building new Trickle Filter (TT)

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Khoobg
Webmaster

Jan 29, 2002, 8:23 AM

Post #1 of 33 (83955 views)
Shortcut
Need advice on building new Trickle Filter (TT) Can't Post

Post made on behalf of Mr. Sean Lee

I need advise me on the following :-

a) Which TT system is more suitable for my pond-Basket or PVC pipe
b) Where would the ideal/suitable location base on the pond plan
c) How do i direct water to TT filter
d) How many bioball do i need (pond size 18'x8'x6.5')

Hope you could draw a diagram of the TT and the specs of the material that i need to set it up!

Khoobg
Webmaster

Jan 29, 2002, 2:21 PM

Post #2 of 33 (83880 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Need advice on building new Trickle Filter (TT) [In reply to] Can't Post

• Both type of Trickle Filter serve the same purpose. The choice is up to you.
  • The best location seem to be near the pumping chamber (last chamber). Water can be pumped from that chamber to trickle tower and filter can go back to pond immediate. For asthetic reason, you can also install your trickle tower in hidden place and this will involve long piping works
  • Divert part of the water from the existing piping that pump water from last chamber to pond to the Trickle Tower. Install a valve to control the water leading to TT. TT is found to be more effective at low flow rate. You can always test with different flowrate and measure water parameter for confirmation.
  • You can start with one TT. If you use 12" PVC pipe, then try to have at least 5~6 feet tall. Put as many bioball that can be place into the PVC pipe bearing in mind that you clearance and the bottom.

dttk
Veteran

Jan 30, 2002, 4:07 AM

Post #3 of 33 (83853 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Need advice on building new Trickle Filter (TT) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Sean, follow Khoo's advice. Congratulations! Very nice pond. Would be safer to have some barrier between car porch and pond. Also plant some creepers on front railings to hide pond from nosy passerby or neighbour. Otherwise the depth and length is perfect for keeping koi upto Jumbo size! Smile
Always friendly :)

Khoobg
Webmaster

Jan 30, 2002, 6:27 AM

Post #4 of 33 (83844 views)
Shortcut

Reproducing a drawing taken from Koi Kichi by Mr. Peter Waddington

SMW1
Veteran

Jan 30, 2002, 4:48 PM

Post #5 of 33 (83817 views)
Shortcut

Hi Sean/ dttk,

In regards to what dttk says. I think I can see a barrier of about 1.5' - 2' drop from the pond to the car bay, am I right or are my eyes deciving me ?.

I'm not saying that you live in a bad neighbour hood or anything like that, but if you don't want to plant some creepers it may be worth insuring your koi from theft. I'm not sure if you have such a policy over there, but I have my koi insured here in the UK, claimed recently when someone decided to climb over my 6' fence at the back and net my 40cm Sanke. Since then I have installed a camera and security lights along with the cement and glass fragments on top of my fence. Poor cats, they can't get into my garden anymore without being ravished Unsure

Stuart

Khoobg
Webmaster

Jan 31, 2002, 2:52 AM

Post #6 of 33 (83809 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SMW1] Need advice on building new Trickle Filter (TT) [In reply to] Can't Post

Jumbo is always easier to net than the small koi. If there is a break in, Jumbo will be the first batch to go Frown. Keep a guard dog to guard your koi may be a good solution.

chong
User

Jan 31, 2002, 10:03 AM

Post #7 of 33 (83788 views)
Shortcut

Hi Mr Khoo & everybody,
Sorry for any interuption . Since you are advising on TT issue , can I kepo to ask some questions ?
I built a small TT as per my understanding from the previous forum threads . It is a small TT built from plastic drawers bought from Ocean supermarket . Overall height is 3.5 feet with about 350 bioballs filled into 5 stacked drawers [drilled with many tiny holes] .Size of each drawer is 12" x 8". Can TT with this height & size able to contribute to the overall filter system ? I intend to increase the capabilty of the filter system so that I can feed more to my kois !Smile

Khoobg
Webmaster

Jan 31, 2002, 2:20 PM

Post #8 of 33 (83776 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chong] Need advice on building new Trickle Filter (TT) [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, your TT should be able to contribute. To what extent that your TT is contributing, you need to confirm that with water test. Increasing your feeding slowly and test the water as it goes.

lee eddie
Novice

Jan 31, 2002, 2:53 PM

Post #9 of 33 (83773 views)
Shortcut

Hi everyone,
Stuart, you are right, my pond is 2ft. above ground. The place that I am staying in is quite safe and I do have a dog which is very alert.
For info, I should consider myself new to this hobby that is going into the 4th month. TT is very new to me, I appreciate your illustrative diagram provided and I do need more details in order to understand the concept. If anyone in Kuala Lumpur has a PVC TT, I would love to visit to understand better.
Thanks and bye.

Eddie Lee

Joshua Lee
User

Feb 1, 2002, 6:18 AM

Post #10 of 33 (83755 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lee eddie] Need advice on building new Trickle Filter (TT) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Eddie

Nice looking pond you have! I am glad you live in a friendly neighbourhood. A six and a half foot depth pond would be paradise for kois. They would soon grow up in a hurry. I can imagine a lot of passers-by stopping to admire your pond and the inhabitants. Be extra careful if a construction site comes up near your house. I hear some foreign workers fancy koi as a delicacy. The thousand dollar koi may end up in somebody's frying pan! By the way, my insurance company refused to insure my koi! Malaysian insurers are really kiasu!

Good to know you have an alert guard dog. Man's best friend. Wonder if there is a dog training school for koi guarding. Might help if you could add a warning sign - "Never the mind the dog, beware the owner!"

Best regardsCool
Joshua

SMW1
Veteran

Feb 1, 2002, 12:19 PM

Post #11 of 33 (83742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Joshua Lee] Need advice on building new Trickle Filter (TT) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Is it only malaysia that do not insure koi or are we looking at quite a few other countries as well. I know that with my insurance I am only insured for theft and I have to prove that the koi was stolen. My koi are not insured for heron attacks or hungery cats (although think the cats round my area are scared of koi the smae size as them Sly). If I spill some white spirit into the pond or paint etc and the koi's die , again I am not insured.

Maybe if you haggle with your insurance company they may be able to do the same sort of thing, just insure them for theft.

My insurance costs me about 1,000 a year, which is probably more than the value of my largest koi (kohaku). It can be expensive, but I have learnt from my past experience thats it's worth it.

Stuart

johnson lee
Veteran

Feb 4, 2002, 5:25 AM

Post #12 of 33 (83707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SMW1] Need advice on building new Trickle Filter (TT) [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileHi Eddie Lee

Welcome to the wonderful world of Koi-keeping! Indeed, you have a nice pond that can contain quite a number of kois which if properly taken care, will grow into nice specimens!

My only concern (if you don't mind) is the apparent lack of any barrier between your car porch and the pond. A six and a half feet deep pond may pose a danger to children. Needless to say, if adults are fascinated by a pond with beautiful kois swimming in it, children are no different. You may or may not have children yet, but this is something you will have to look into sooner or later.

My pond is only 4 feet deep but I planted a 2-3 feet hedge to separate the pond from the porch to prevent anyone from seeing the pond from the outside, just in case!

Anyway, I wish you well in your koi-rearing endeavours and be rest assured that you will have an exciting and challenging time ahead of you!

All the best!

JohnsonCool

lee eddie
Novice

Feb 7, 2002, 4:34 PM

Post #13 of 33 (83642 views)
Shortcut

Hi everyone,

At last, I have installed the TT filter to my pond today. I used a 6'x12" pvc with 1800 bioballs. My appreciation to all of you especially Mr. Khoo for his guidance. I will be posting the water parameters in the near future.

May I take this opportunity to wish all of you a Happy & Prosperous Chinese New Year. May the year of the Horse bring abundant wealth, happiness and best of health (including all the kois).

Bye,
Lee Eddie

Novice

Feb 15, 2002, 2:11 PM

Post #14 of 33 (83567 views)
Shortcut

hi friends..

i wonder how many bioballs in TT is needed for each 1000 L of water. I mean the standard / minimal??

russE
Novice

Feb 17, 2002, 11:10 AM

Post #15 of 33 (83548 views)
Shortcut
question [In reply to] Can't Post

Just wondering... how is the bacteria that alters nitrate into nitrous oxide cultured in a TT filter? Does it colonise the tt media filter on its own eventually, or is something extra done eg. bacteria supplement?

Chingbee
User

Mar 19, 2002, 9:16 AM

Post #16 of 33 (83414 views)
Shortcut

Hi Mr. Khoo,

I saw a picture of your (is that yours?) TT - with 4 plastic container (2 sets) My question is: how big is your pond? do you have a picture of your pond somewhere?? thanks.

Chingbee

tgarrett
Novice

May 19, 2002, 8:37 PM

Post #17 of 33 (83276 views)
Shortcut

Can anyone tell me how big a TT filter needs to be on my pond ( 70' X 50' X 3.5' deep) approx 60,000 US gallons. Also having ph problem too high (9) this is a new pond and has 800 3"-6" decorative koi in it. the pond has two skimmers with biofilters, three waterfalls with biofilters. A sand filter-UV unit that is not hooked-up yet. Do I need another filter or is this enough?Crazy

SMW1
Veteran

May 19, 2002, 9:11 PM

Post #18 of 33 (83273 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tgarrett] Need advice on building new Trickle Filter (TT) [In reply to] Can't Post

ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedSorry about that but 80,000 gal CrazyCrazy. Thats not a pond its a lake. to be honest I really would not know how big the trickle tower would have to be for that size pond. It's huge and 800 koi Crazy.

I'm speachless, sorry I couldn;t be of more help. Maybe I respond again once I regain conciousness.

dttk
Veteran

May 21, 2002, 10:45 AM

Post #19 of 33 (83234 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tgarrett] Need advice on building new Trickle Filter (TT) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Stuart...have you regained consciousness yet? Hope you didn't dream of swimming in the 'lake' with the 800 kois...Laugh.

Hi tgarrett, besides the high pH, is your pond experiencing a high nitrate problem? If not, then there is no need for a TT filter. The number and size of TTs required is really by trial and error. TT is also good for removing green water. Smile.

cwloo
User

May 21, 2002, 12:22 PM

Post #20 of 33 (83228 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dttk] Need advice on building new Trickle Filter (TT) [In reply to] Can't Post

if it's for pond / lake of that size it's best to hv some plant & TT together ..

SMW1
Veteran

May 22, 2002, 12:03 AM

Post #21 of 33 (83209 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cwloo] Need advice on building new Trickle Filter (TT) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Sorry for being a little childish there, I'm not sure what cme over me.

I would imagine that a pond of that size would be filled with more than just koi. How many plants do you have in the pond. I can see it now a few lilly with bluming flowers or pink yellow and white, some Yam and money plants, canadian duck weed aplenty !

I would love to see a picture.

Dr Tan, While we are on the subject of swimming with koi, Has this ever been done by anyone. Can you think of any reasons why this would be a bad idea, except for scaring the snot out of your kois.

Stuart

KevKoi
Koi Kichi

May 22, 2002, 3:39 AM

Post #22 of 33 (83200 views)
Shortcut

Geez, I've actually seen a picture of a little girl swimming in in a koi pond with kois surrounding her. Think the picture might be on the Australian Koi Association page.

Imagine if ZNA wanted to give the koi hobby a little publicity and push.... Get some hot babes in with some koi!!LaughLaughLaugh..... kinda like car magazines, with those sleek curvacious models on the cars. SlySly.

OK, OK..... better stop here. Getting funny ideas. LaughWink

dttk
Veteran

May 22, 2002, 7:27 AM

Post #23 of 33 (83184 views)
Shortcut

Hi Stuart, nope I don't see any reason why it's not good to share the pond with our beloved koi. With some ingenius training and conditioning, the koi should quite used to our presence in the water. Koi are intelligent creatures too. The problem is, would anybody want to do that ...other than the little girl that kevkoi mentioned in the Australian mag. How nice would it be if 3ft jumbo koi are able to do tricks like dolphins and killer whales.....Crazy.

SMW1
Veteran

May 22, 2002, 9:14 AM

Post #24 of 33 (83176 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dttk] Need advice on building new Trickle Filter (TT) [In reply to] Can't Post

Would anybody want to do that ?

I for one would love to swim with my koi, maybe just the once or twice but I have never been a lover of the Sea, but have always wanted to swim with the dolphins etc. I can just imagine it now, getting scuba diving geared up and sinking to the bottom of my new 7' deep pond. I can play admire my kois in ways that I have never done before, get them close up without netting or picking them up, and even check for wear and tear of the concrete while I'm down there. Obviously the water would have to be crystal clear.

I'm just wondering what effect if any our bodys bacteria will have on the pond / koi, and vice versa.

It's an iteresting thought. Hey Kev, maybe a I can get a few of my mrs friends over for a pool party, I'll take some pictures for you, lol Cool

TonyG
User

May 22, 2002, 9:16 AM

Post #25 of 33 (83177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KevKoi] Need advice on building new Trickle Filter (TT) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Kev

What an idea, maybe we should just write this suggestion to ZNA and who knows, their next magazine will have this picturesLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh. just imagine kois with beauty AngelicAngelicAngelicAngelic.

Just joking guys

Tony

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com