Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Construction & Water Filtering System:
Step of Setting a Pond

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

newgen
User

Apr 16, 2002, 5:09 AM

Post #1 of 39 (73761 views)
Shortcut
Step of Setting a Pond Can't Post

Hi! I'm John and i'm a new member here! I'm only 18! I'm a Help College student! Hope all the seniors here will welcome me! Thanks anyway!

OK! NOW! i hope to post out a question, WHAT ARE THE STEPS OF SETTING UP A POND? i mean from planning to digging, and constructing, cleaning, setting up filters(included types of filters and layers of filters), filling up the pond, testing the water pH, ammonia level, freeing up the cute Kois(i think they are all our babies! Right?) I hope someone can solve this question! Sorry about that! Cause I really hope to know! And i'm sure alots of people out there wants to know about the answer too!

And I hope to know the minimal size of the pond that we need to have, for our kois big enough space to swim and grow bigger~!

And roughly how much to pay for the smallest pond setting and included with pump and filters?Unsure

Thanks!Cool Wink

(This post was edited by newgen on Apr 16, 2002, 5:27 AM)

dttk
Veteran

Apr 16, 2002, 6:34 AM

Post #2 of 39 (73705 views)
Shortcut
Re: [newgen] Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi newgen, welcome to the forum Smile. It's good that you are very enthusiastic about the whole koi thing because you'll need that to read and find out the answers to all the questions about koi keeping. It's too lengthy to describe everything here. So please take a look at the homepage and click on the appropriate link to begin. We'll be happy to assist you if there are any problems along the way Sly. My first question, do you have any experience at all in water management and koi-keeping, say in a FG tank or aquarium? Are you really serious about building a pond? How much space do you have? Hope to get some answers soon Sly.
Always friendly :)

newgen
User

Apr 16, 2002, 7:02 AM

Post #3 of 39 (73703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dttk] Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the Help dttk! erm...about water management, i'm keeping some cheap kois in my 4ft aquarium now, but i take very good care of them! they are very active and healthy now! free from sickness and no problem at all! About the water management, i think i'm just a beginner! i don't know how to check the pH of the water, ammonia level of the water, nothing! i only know how to check the chlorine level! to make sure no chlorine in the water, then it will be the 1st thing in the water changing steps! right? and after changing the water i put some salt into the aquarium, about 3% to 5% of the water. and i found 1 thing! putting enough salt into the water, may keep the fish healthy enough!!! its true!!! sometimes even cure sickness!!!CoolSmileWinkLaugh if i'm wrong, then pls correct me!!!!

currently, there's no place in my house to dig a pond but putting a "tangki" maybe is possible! i mean some kind of plastic or fiber "pond" on the floor! and as i'm a student now, no income and my family is not rich at all, maybe sometimes there is difficulty of finding money to pay for my school fees, only sometimes...! but i do like koi very much! i give them the best thing that i can affort to buy! some ppl give thier fish some cheap fish food like...RM3 for 3KG!!!!! what is that!?!?!? i don't think i'll give my kois those food!!! i always look for good food for my kois! spirulina koi food, cost me about, RM20 for 1kg, RM35 for 2KGs, but i think it's worth to give them to have the great meals! and sometimes i even want to look for better food for them! keep on finding! i hope 1 day i can get something special for them! don't worry! i'll tell u all when i get the "special something"Wink

And finally! I need more advices!!!! Thanks!

Mark
Veteran

Apr 16, 2002, 7:11 AM

Post #4 of 39 (73702 views)
Shortcut

Hi and most welcome,

First of all, you need mental and monetary support from the family members. Next is your committment to keep the hobby for the next 3 or more years. If you are not prepared, don't even start it.

newgen
User

Apr 16, 2002, 7:25 AM

Post #5 of 39 (73700 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark] Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi again!

Thanks for the advice Mark!

I've been keeping Kois for about 3 years~! i love kois very much and b4 i keep my own kois, my dad used to keep fishes too! and finally he kept kois 2 years before i keep my own kois. for these years, they are healthy and no sickness.

BUT the sad thing is, i can't grow bigger! Unsure coz of my aquarium is only 4ft! pity kois...i'm very sad coz i can't give them a good place to swim, but they show me that they are happy with all they have! and they cheer me up when i'm sad, while looking at them! that's y i love kois very much, instead of those what "dragon", so fearce, or those flower horns...i only prefer KOIS!!! cause they are the BEST!

johnson lee
Veteran

Apr 16, 2002, 9:00 AM

Post #6 of 39 (73693 views)
Shortcut

SmileHi Newgen

Welcome to the forum! As Dr Tan and Mark have advised, you must be prepared to commit yourself to this hobby once you embark on it, this includes money (to build a pond, buy pumps, filter media, the fishes, food, water testing kit, medication etc.), time, and space.

As you said, a 4ft aquarium is not suited for kois to grow because kois really need lots of space to swim about. If you build a pond too small due to budget constraints then when they grow bigger, you will have problems trying to build a bigger pond for them. So right from the beginning, you must determine what you have in mind.Wink

An average sized pond would be around 8' L x 6' W x 4' D. Do you have the space in your garden? Will your parents allow you to dig up the garden? Assuming you do, you also need to allocate space for the filter chambers. That would take up another 30% of the water surface area of your pond. It can cost you between RM5000-RM10000 just to contruct a pond suitable for kois and that includes bottom drains, piping, electrical wiring, filter chamber etc.

We are not trying to discourage you from embarking on this hobby, but we do not want you to make the same mistakes we made when we started. So take your time, read through the info on this forum. You will have a better idea of things and this will give you a headstart.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want and we will help whenever possible.

Enjoy!

Rgds

Johnson

dttk
Veteran

Apr 16, 2002, 9:01 AM

Post #7 of 39 (73693 views)
Shortcut

Hi newgen, thanks for the info. Johnson is right. My opinion is if you really can't afford a pond, go for a FG tank. With your parent's blessings and approval, you'd need minimum a fiberglass(FG) tank, measuring at least 3ft width x 6ft length x 2-3 ft depth, although a few of our forum friends have slightly smaller ones. With this, you may keep a few koi only, which should be good enough for you. Try and look around for the FG tank. It comes with a filter box. Used one is cheaper. New one will cost abt RM500. Make sure you have a place for it, not directly under the sun. Hopefully this is a step towards building a pond in the future when you have house with a garden. Cheap koi is still koi and seeing them healthy, happy and growing is a wonderful experience. Koi keeping need not be too expensive if you manage the water well by following some basic rules. That is the most challenging and difficult part of the hobby...Pirate. In the meantime, don't forget to find out as much as you can about koi-keeping from this forum. Cheers...Smile.
Always friendly :)

(This post was edited by dttk on Apr 16, 2002, 9:12 AM)

newgen
User

Apr 16, 2002, 9:30 AM

Post #8 of 39 (73687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dttk] Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks!

Thanks for the infos!!! Jason And DR. Tan! Thanks!!! I'm now looking forward to buy a used FG tank! and i hope my kois won't get angry or upset cause of my condition here!Unsure Its about RM300 cause before you all answer the questions...i drove out to search for it already! cause i can't wait to free my kois up into a bigger space!

And Dr. Tan is right! cheap kois are also kois, and i still love them! maybe they are all mixed up and the colors are not really as nice as those good kois but they just looked the same!

About the water management, I CAN HANDLE IT! no problem about algea, fungus, spots on the fish...i've keep those same 7 kois, nothing happend on them! nothing at all! ekekeke...cheers~i'm proud of myself sometimes, not to say bullshiting...but it's real! =řSlyCoolSmileWinkTongueBlush

Really hope that i manage to get a used FG tank!

Cheers!!!!!!

Newgen

=> John

mattloui
User

Apr 16, 2002, 9:35 AM

Post #9 of 39 (73687 views)
Shortcut

hi newgen

Glad to note of another enthusiatic koi-admirers who shares the wonderful feeling of witnessing these beauriful kois. But as advised, being over enthusiatic can also bring much grief and sorrows. Unless you master the filtering system and water quality, there will much dissappointment to come as your beloved kois die one by one. I have learned this the hard way by rearing all sorts of fishes, ie goldfish, frontosa,chiclids, etc.until i started to rear kois for a change and realise that the filtering system is a must know before you even venture further. I started rearing 9 kois in an 4 feet aquarium about 2 years ago and much to my surprise all of them died together even though the water was clear and looked good. I gave up and started black cidchilds which lasted another 2 years and subsequently died one by one becos' i was busy and did not change the water for 3 months.(note : filter was only cotton wool). I rekindled my interest on kois this year when I was told that kois actually bring good fortune and since this year has been forecasted as not so good for me i took up the "challenge" again. This time i was lucky as somebody who knows nothing about koi mentioned to me that the secret of sucessful koi rearing is in the filter system which ultimately bring about good water quality. Since then i have never been happier when my filter kicks in. And mind you, I have learned almost everything about koi rearing from the internet and especially this forum. So browse thr' and you may never have to regret again should your beloved starts to "leave" you for a different world( God knows where). Then again even after mastery of everything, once in a while you may be sad as one or two die with no apparent reason. I have just lost two beautiful kois which i loved so much. So be prepared if you want to take up this seriously and it is a commitment you must keep for your kois sake as well as your happiness.

happy koi rearing and good to have you around despite your tender age
CHEERS

newgen
User

Apr 16, 2002, 10:08 AM

Post #10 of 39 (73683 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mattloui] Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi mattloui,

I was surprised that you said that, "good to have you around despite your tender age". Unfortunately, that's not true, my tender age was 5 years ago ! Itís a long time ago. =)

And I always do things on my way. Sometimes I discover something about the filter, that sometimes I can't even tell the others, HOW IT REALLY WORKS? HOW COME IT WILL BE LIKE THIS? Are these questions similar to you all? YES! Of cause! As we, normal people, we ask these questions to our self almost everyday! Or even more than 10 times a day! Right Dr. Tan? Wink

As I'm keeping my kois in a 4ft aquarium as mentioned, Iím using a Fluva NO.4 filter and another water pump to pump water up to a small box-filter on the aquarium. And in the small box-filter. Can you imagine, my aquarium is outside the house, half of the aquarium is directly shined by sun shine, and the water tempreture is perfect, not too cold, not too hot, about 25C to 29C(sometimes. But, not too hot right?)

And in the condition up there, sure got tick layer of algea growing up, right? BUT NOT IN MY AQUARIUM! There has only slightly little algea growing at the coners of my aquarium, thats it!

That's why i said that sometimes i can't tell what it's going on, why no algea?crazy right? maybe the box-filter works perfectly! but it's a normal filter and I just put in different things into it.

TonyG
User

Apr 16, 2002, 12:11 PM

Post #11 of 39 (73674 views)
Shortcut

Hi

Newgen means new generation (I suppose). Wink I tends to agree with what the members mention here. Koi rearing is a commitment which from what i've read, i think you do have one. I would suggest that once you got the FG, treat it as another ball game together.

Built the filter as what the forum has advise, transfer some of you media from your old filter to the new one to kick start it. I would not recommend that you transfer all your kois into the tank at one go. Keep your aquarium first until your new FG tank is mature. What you can do is put in one or two of your kois into the tank as a tester and monitor the water parameters for 2 to 3 weeks. Once your water register zero NH4 and NO2, put in another 2 kois and monitor the water again and so on. This is to ensure that you don't stress out the filter which can bring in adverse effect.

You have to check you parameters, no way out. I understand that you have no problem with your current setup but remember that it doesn't always work on other pond. It is better to be safe than sorry right?

Having said all this, i'm sure you will have a bunch of beautiful kois once you get it right. Good luck and Happy Koi-ing Smile

Tony

newgen
User

Apr 16, 2002, 2:19 PM

Post #12 of 39 (73670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TonyG] Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Tony!

Yup! you're right! Newgen means new generation!

But the bad news is, i think i'll have to wait till i have enough money to buy the FG tank! sad... Thanks anyway!!!

But i really learn alot of things here! Great to chat here! Anyone willing to be my buddies?!!? ekekeke

My ICQ number is: 34002019

add me if you have one!
TongueCool

Thanks!!!!!
JOHN

SMW1
Veteran

Apr 16, 2002, 3:54 PM

Post #13 of 39 (73666 views)
Shortcut

Hi John ,

Just out of interest, what country are you from ? I am in the UK.

The reason I ask is that I am curently building a new 25,000 gal pond. Once this is complete my old pond will be redundant. I will have quite a few bits that can be used as a start kit including enough pond liner (3 ply) to hold 11.5 tonnes of water. I am willing to dontae them free of charge, just to encourage people like yourself to get into this great hobby. I believe that the people on this forum are like one big happy family. Eveyone has helped me, and I will go out of my way to help eveyone else.

These days on the front of all koi magazines in UK, all I see is pictures of old men in their late 50's with pictures of their ponds. I say start young, learn along the way. I'm 28 and have been interested in koi for about 15 years. I Helped my dad with his pond up until 6 years ago when I got my own place and started my own koi paradise.

Good luck John.

P.S. will add to buddy list.

Stuart

newgen
User

Apr 16, 2002, 5:07 PM

Post #14 of 39 (73660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SMW1] Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! Buddy Stuart!

Thanks for your offer, but i think it will be inposible for me to get your free gifts, cause i'm living in Malaysia...Thanks anyway!

I can't manage to get your gifts but...i'm happy too! cause you're willing to help me! Smile

By the way, anyone selling used FG tank? about 6"x4"x4? and with a very cheap price?

Thanks!

John

mattloui
User

Apr 16, 2002, 5:53 PM

Post #15 of 39 (73658 views)
Shortcut

hi newgen(John?)

I Hope my passing remark on the tender age did not offend u too much. Actually i meant it as a compliment and my apologies if u feel otherwise. No offence whatsoever intended.Cool

So you are Malaysian.Smile Well I am too and I live in KL. If u ever desire to purchase good quality kois but at a reasonable price, I would like to introduce u to the fish shop which i patronise in Robson Heights KL. I purchased some beautiful Sanke (about 4-6 inches) at a price of RM 30 per koi which is considered reasonable as compared to the two same size kohakus i purchased in Taman Desa( a renowned place for koi) at a price of RM 100 per fish.

the shop in Robson Heights has a shop front of all other fishes whilst the kois are all located at the back of the shop.There are some reasonbly nice kois here which will be an excellant start for beginners like me and maybe u. Never buy too expensive, less u feel frustrated if these kois "goes Off". Having said these, I would also not advise that u buy those RM 5 per fish type as u may lose interest in them after u learn more about koi and the many types of koi. Go to the webs recommended in this forum and u will realise that koi rearing for the real pro runs hundreds of thousands in terms of pond const. and koi quality. Soon u will like to purchase the real thing.Blush In the mean time, buy small but beautiful koi where u can't get your eyes off her beautiful body and when she grows u will love her ever moreSlySlySly.

koi lover
CHEERS

newgen
User

Apr 17, 2002, 1:43 AM

Post #16 of 39 (73648 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mattloui] Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Mattloui,

Yes! I'm John~! Smile anyway, you don't need to appologize, it's just ok! Cool

Don't Worry! Tongue And thanks for the advices! but where is Robson Heights? Is it that the "TIAN HOU GONG" the Tian Hou Temple there? Please let me know! i would like to go for a look although i'm not planning to buy any of them yet coz recently just not much cash with me~Laughekeke, just changed my tyres!Mad

Anyway! Really thanks for the advice!

Thanks!!!!!!

John(Newgen)

johnson lee
Veteran

Apr 17, 2002, 5:28 AM

Post #17 of 39 (73638 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SMW1] Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileHi Stuart

Its nice to know that you are willing to donate the used items from your previous pond to newbies!Cool I am glad we have generous members like you in our forum.

May you have even more success with your new pond and my wish is that you will grow beautiful kois to the envy of others in UK! Keep us updated on your pond construction and pls post some good pics for all of us to enjoy.Wink

Rgds

Johnson

Mark
Veteran

Apr 17, 2002, 6:35 AM

Post #18 of 39 (73632 views)
Shortcut
Re: [johnson lee] Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

See, you are welcome by all. Come back to the fourm with question if there is any about your pond and your fish.

Good luck.

mattloui
User

Apr 17, 2002, 1:20 PM

Post #19 of 39 (73616 views)
Shortcut

Hi John

yes The shop is near Tian Hou Gong at the junction of the road leading to the Le Catheau Condo and lingkaran Syed Putra

Good luck on koi hunting
CHEERS

newgen
User

Apr 18, 2002, 9:31 AM

Post #20 of 39 (73599 views)
Shortcut
Re: Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!

I'm really happy to be here! this is really KOI'S HEAVEN!

I love this place!

Really thanks for all the help!

Anyway, anyone selling used FG tanks?

Thanks!
JOHN

cwloo
User

Apr 18, 2002, 9:59 AM

Post #21 of 39 (73594 views)
Shortcut

I saw a new Koi farm (shop) near kepong (Malaysia) .. I follow the sign board but didnt manage to locate the farm.. Anyone went there before ?

newgen
User

Apr 18, 2002, 10:01 AM

Post #22 of 39 (73593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cwloo] Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

Ya!!!!!! me!!!!!
is it the sign got 1 white/red koi?!?!?!?

right?!?!?!

cwloo
User

Apr 18, 2002, 10:34 AM

Post #23 of 39 (73588 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Ya!!!!!! me!!!!!
is it the sign got 1 white/red koi?!?!?!?

right?!?!?!

yes, anything great there ? Like Koi etc ?

newgen
User

Apr 18, 2002, 3:17 PM

Post #24 of 39 (73578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cwloo] Step of Setting a Pond [In reply to] Can't Post

The kois there, hmm...i went there about 2 months ago~ that was nice! not much kois there, but they have nice kois! and i saw the butterfly koi there! that was my 1st time! and then tanko(am i right? the fish with 1 red spot on the head?) too! hope hope i can go there again, i hope i can see more things and kois there!

John

doitsu
Novice

Apr 18, 2002, 4:06 PM

Post #25 of 39 (73573 views)
Shortcut

Hi new gen,

I'm 21 and also in HELP and I thought I was in the youngest person in the whole wide world to be interested in this crazy hobby. Thought wrong man.
My new pond was completed just a month ago and really thank goodness that I really read up about koi filter before going into this.

So, hope you enjoy your kois... my amateur advice is to get the really good ones, if not you will end up wasting pellets, time and water. CheerioLaugh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com