Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Construction & Water Filtering System:
Turbo Cleaner no bubble

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

patrick123
Veteran

Oct 27, 2002, 12:35 PM

Post #1 of 43 (82859 views)
Shortcut
Turbo Cleaner no bubble Can't Post

Dear All,

I finally connected my turbo cleaner with a powerhead of 2500L/hr. Unfortunately, the pump does not have enough juice to generate enough foam. Instead of buying another pump of 5000L/hr and spend more money on the electricity, can I just put a airstone into the turbo cleaner and generate more foam that way??? Wow...I'm a geniue. AngelicAngelicAngelic

dttk
Veteran

Oct 28, 2002, 6:37 AM

Post #2 of 43 (82771 views)
Shortcut
Re: [patrick123] Turbo Cleaner no bubble [In reply to] Can't Post

Patrick Smile, no bubbles may also mean the built-in venturi is not working. If it is, you should be able to hear a low pitch "roaring" sound or see the bubbles at the bottom from the opening above eventhough they may not be strong enough to rise up the tubes. If it is working, then by increasing water flow thru it, the bubbles should rise thru the tubes.

If it is not working, better to get it replaced if still under warranty. In this case, I do not know if putting an airstone would be effective or not eventhough the concept is the same Smile. You are indeed a Genius!Wink
Always friendly :)

SMW1
Veteran

Oct 28, 2002, 10:26 AM

Post #3 of 43 (82762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dttk] Turbo Cleaner no bubble [In reply to] Can't Post

Take off the lid and round center piece. Can you see bubbles now ?. if not check the light grey pipe and make sure that they are no leaks. On the G65 these are a little fragile and can snap off quite easily.

patrick123
Veteran

Oct 28, 2002, 7:13 PM

Post #4 of 43 (82742 views)
Shortcut

Dr Tan and Stuart,

Thanks for the info. Yes, there is a low pitch roaring sound and bubble forming. However, with 2500L/hr, it really doesn't produce enough juice to power the TC.

What I did was to divert 30% of my capacity from the main pump into the TC. What a difference in performance. The TC suddenly jump to life and roaring like crazy. Bubbles were bursting at the top. Really neat and impressive.

Guess what, I let it run for one night and the next day, I could not believe my eyes. Since my filter is not completely mature, the water was slightly green (even with a 15w UV light), and murky. After running the TC for one night, I can still see that the water is still slightly green, but, what a difference... the water is sparkling clean....almost shining. When I looked at the discharge, the water is yellowish and dull.

I will strongly recommend any serious koi hobbyist to invest into a TC or a TC equivalent protein skimmer. It really makes a big difference in the water quality.

BTW, one question I have is, since I'm still topping up with liquid bacteria, will the TC extract the good bacteria that is costing me a lot of money to buy?

Thanks,
Patrick

BTW, Dr Tan, I was joking when I say about the genius thing. Just kidding...hope you don't mind. BlushBlushBlush

dttk
Veteran

Oct 29, 2002, 5:10 AM

Post #5 of 43 (82734 views)
Shortcut

Hey Patrick Sly, you got me wrong there! I really think that was a good idea except that nobody tried it before...Crazy Sly. To me you're still a Genius! Smile

patrick123
Veteran

Oct 29, 2002, 6:27 AM

Post #6 of 43 (82731 views)
Shortcut

Dr Tan,

Thanks for your compliment. Any comment whether I should turn off the TC when I top up bacteria in the pond?

Thanks,
Patrick

jsoon
User

Oct 29, 2002, 6:34 AM

Post #7 of 43 (82730 views)
Shortcut

Patrick,

No regrets, right ?

However, I think TC is more suitable for outdoor and big pond as it discharge out water from your pond.

I am think trying to figure out how much water the TC discharge out ?

(This post was edited by jsoon on Oct 29, 2002, 6:40 AM)

SMW1
Veteran

Oct 29, 2002, 10:30 AM

Post #8 of 43 (82718 views)
Shortcut

Hi Patrick,

I think that the TC will extract a percentage of the bacteria you put in. Whenever I treat my pond I turn the TC off. I find the medication works much better without the TC. Salt is an exception here.

dttk
Veteran

Oct 29, 2002, 3:37 PM

Post #9 of 43 (82711 views)
Shortcut

Patrick, yes, as adviced by Stuart, no harm turning off the TC for awhile. Smile

patrick123
Veteran

Oct 30, 2002, 6:23 AM

Post #10 of 43 (82696 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jsoon] Turbo Cleaner no bubble [In reply to] Can't Post

Jonathan,

Yeap...it works like a charm. Really impressed. I kind of agree that TC is best for outdoor due to the noise it generates. Also, with the flow of water, it is best to be used for big volume of water. However, it will be neater if TC can be made of weatherproofed material so that it does not have to be under shade...and if they can improve the look of it will be perfect. SmileSmileSmile

For indoor, if you want to avoid the loud hissing sound, there are other types of protein skimmer in the market that use airstone to generate bubble. Hence, they don't make any noise at all....may be something worth considering for indoor ponder.

As for how much water is discharged, it depends on the amount of DOC you have in the pond, and the discharge rate that you set. Currently, my setting will allow a discharge of 2-3 pail of water in 1 day.. Don't think that that's too much because all the discharged water is dark brown in color. I'm using that to water my plant. SmileSmileSmile

Now my only chellenge is how to conceal the TC and how to keep it under cover since my pond is 100% exposed to sunlight. Thinking of customizing a Terracota pot to hide the TC inside. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Patrick

patrick123
Veteran

Oct 30, 2002, 6:26 AM

Post #11 of 43 (82696 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SMW1] Turbo Cleaner no bubble [In reply to] Can't Post

Stuart and Dr Tan,

Thanks for the advise. All I can say about TC is I'm totally impressed by it. It turned my murky and greenish water into sparkling water. I'm still trying to get my surface skimmer to work, and it will be perfect then. Smile

I can feel that my koi are much less jumpy and a lot more active now. Smile

Thanks,
Patrick

dttk
Veteran

Oct 30, 2002, 8:18 AM

Post #12 of 43 (82687 views)
Shortcut

Patrick, glad you found the TC useful. I agree that the TC doesn't look very nice beside the pond. Where is yours located? It is possible to extend the lengths of the inlet and outlet pipes so that the body can be hidden away, like in your case behind the filter. Mine is totally exposed to the sun. Smile

patrick123
Veteran

Oct 30, 2002, 10:06 AM

Post #13 of 43 (82680 views)
Shortcut

Dr Tan,

If I remember correctly, your TC is under the Pergola right? So in theory, it is not 100% under the sunlight. How long have you been using it under this condition?

I heard from a koi dealer that one guy had his TC under the sun and the cover cracked after 1-2 years.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Patrick

dttk
Veteran

Oct 30, 2002, 10:17 AM

Post #14 of 43 (82677 views)
Shortcut

Patrick, yes, my TC is under the pergola. But the pergola does not have a net or any plants to shade the TC. So, it's still pretty much exposed to the sun Unimpressed. Yes, it's possible that the TC may crack after 1-2 yrs. Thank goodness, mine haven't...ShockedSly. One advice though, make sure that the TC lay flat against an even surface. Otherwise cracks will appear on the bottom due to water pressure. Smile

patrick123
Veteran

Oct 30, 2002, 10:35 AM

Post #15 of 43 (82673 views)
Shortcut

Dr Tan,

Just to clarify further....since I'm contemplating to install a pergola....I thought the whole idea of installing pergola is to provide shading to the pond to minimize direct sunlight. I was told that beside the horizonally spaced wood, people also use certain type of net or shading to block the sunlight. Some people even go to the extend of using sheets that are waterproof to shelter the rain from the pond.

Please advise if my understanding is wrong.

Thanks,
Patrick

SMW1
Veteran

Oct 30, 2002, 11:26 AM

Post #16 of 43 (82671 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Pergola's are built for a number of reasons. Some to provide shade, where a sheet of bamboo stipps can be added to the top for a nice cool effect. Other pagola's are purley for landscaping, it gives the pond a 3D effect if you know what I mean. Origionally the main purpose of the pergola was to stop predators from above.

My TC has been out in the open for 2 years now, it has no shade and I have nver had a problem with it. It's not had as high temperatures as you guys but it has been frozen solid at one stage and still no harm has come to it. I think you friend who told you they would crack was underestimating the build quality of these TC's Sly.

patrick123
Veteran

Oct 30, 2002, 1:33 PM

Post #17 of 43 (82666 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SMW1] Turbo Cleaner no bubble [In reply to] Can't Post

Stuart,

It is a great relief to hear that TC can be used exposed in outdoor. I think the summer in UK must be quite hot too. In Singapore, it can go up to 33 degree celcius.

Now I don't have to use a garbage bag to cover my TC. At least it looks better. I will take some picture when I go back to Singapore in 2 weeks time to show everyone.

Cheers,
Patrick

dttk
Veteran

Oct 30, 2002, 3:12 PM

Post #18 of 43 (82662 views)
Shortcut

Patrick Smile, Stuart is right on target again! Yeah, my pergola was built as part of a landscaping feature. It could also be converted into a covered shed in future if the need arises. Will be looking forward to more pictures of your pond, koi and TC. Sly

mhlim
User

Feb 8, 2003, 8:09 AM

Post #19 of 43 (82599 views)
Shortcut

Hi Dr Tan,

I wish to thank you for turning my pond water clear. Remember on the last visit to your pond my enquiries on your sparkling water and TC? I bought and installed a G65 the following week on the 18/1/03. True enough the water turned clear on 1/2/03 although there is still foam at the surface skimmer (the amount is considerably lesser than before). It happened exactly 2 weeks after the installation, the time taken is the same as what Stuart has mentioned earlier!

I can happily state that this is a benefit of joining pond visits apart from making friends and getting to know more about kois and maintenance of ponds.Wink Thanks again.

Regards.

andyng
User

Feb 8, 2003, 1:16 PM

Post #20 of 43 (82594 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mhlim] Turbo Cleaner no bubble [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW.... mhlim crystal clear water, hint hint.... time for a pond visit and we all misses your nasi lemak. So just tell us when.

Andy Ng

dttk
Veteran

Feb 9, 2003, 4:16 AM

Post #21 of 43 (82584 views)
Shortcut

Hi Lim Smile, good morning to you. Like Andy, I'm glad that your water has turned crystal clear in just 2 weeks after installing the TC Wink. Keep up the good work and we'll be looking forward to seeing your pond and koi soon! Sly Happy Koi-keeping.

mhlim
User

Feb 9, 2003, 10:27 AM

Post #22 of 43 (82579 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andyng] Turbo Cleaner no bubble [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Andy,

Nasi lemak? No problem. Please confirm attendance so that I can prepare enough serving to all. Tentatively I suggest next Sunday, ie 16/02/2003, 2.00 pm. We meet at Petronas petrol station Jinjang. Is it OK? For those who come from PJ by LDP, you proceed to Kepong, then Kepong Baru and staright on, you will see Shell Station before Petronas. It's on your left hand side.

Regards.

wan
User

Feb 9, 2003, 6:06 PM

Post #23 of 43 (82570 views)
Shortcut

Hello Lim,
Pond visit at your place eh ? Sounds good.Smile
I would sure like to go, though I am not sure if I'll be around this weekend. (I'll reconfirm )
Anyway I have been looking around for a TC myself .
May I know where u got yours and how much did it cost.
Did u installed it yourself ? I am lousy at this DIY stuff.Crazy

Thanks.

dttk
Veteran

Feb 10, 2003, 4:38 AM

Post #24 of 43 (82555 views)
Shortcut

Lim, 16th Feb is great. Can we all meet at my favourite Caltex station again, you know the one next to Kohaku Koi? Unsure I'm not very familiar with Kepong area. Smile

mikekinrara
New User

Feb 10, 2003, 6:34 PM

Post #25 of 43 (82531 views)
Shortcut

Hi Patrick,

Can i know where did you brought the turbo cleaner and how much ?

Thanks

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com