Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Construction & Water Filtering System:
UV Steriliser

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

cwloo
User

Mar 27, 2002, 11:55 AM

Post #1 of 22 (65857 views)
Shortcut
UV Steriliser Can't Post

Regarding this UV Steriliser, is the UV light stay inside the white tude ? what's this white tude call ?

SMW1
Veteran

Mar 27, 2002, 4:22 PM

Post #2 of 22 (65793 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cwloo] UV Steriliser [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Johor,

This white tube is the UV casing. The bulb fits inside by unscewing the end of the tube. The grey pipes are the inlet and outlets.

Stuart

patrick123
Veteran

Mar 28, 2002, 11:16 AM

Post #3 of 22 (65775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SMW1] UV Steriliser [In reply to] Can't Post

Stuart,

In this picture, since you are using PVC pipe as connecting pipe, how do you know whether the UV is on or whether the bulb has blown....other than waiting for the water to turn green....which may never happen if the filter is mature.

In my case, the UV light comes with transparent connecting pipe from the manufacturer and was labeled UV safed. So I can see some blue light emitting from the transparent pipe. It looks kind of neat at night.Wink

Cheers,

Patrick

SMW1
Veteran

Mar 28, 2002, 3:53 PM

Post #4 of 22 (65765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [patrick123] UV Steriliser [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Patrick,

This is not my picture. I was merely answering cwloo's question about it. The design you see in the photo is the cheaper model. I do not own a UV, so I can not answer your question regarding the bulb.

Stuart

cwloo
User

Apr 17, 2002, 10:21 AM

Post #5 of 22 (65728 views)
Shortcut
Re: [patrick123] UV Steriliser [In reply to] Can't Post

Patrick,

The picture below to the Mr David Ngie, it is taken from the Koi.com.my webpage.

Since you have a unit yourself may I know what's the price you get for it? I had a DIY model which use a box which I put the UV light inside and facing the filter water. This method work well but it also kill some of the fish that inside the filter if they accidently swim to the last chamber (pump chamber). I was thinking this might be not the best method of using the UV light so I am thinking of a better method. My friend told me he get a similier one like the one in the picture for RM700 which I think it's too expensive.

any place to recommend for me to get in KL/JB will be good. Cool

Mark
Veteran

Apr 17, 2002, 12:13 PM

Post #6 of 22 (65723 views)
Shortcut

Try not to depend on the UV to clear your green. Build a proper filter system and equipp it with a proper pump. By when, you could turn it off after the filter matured.

cwloo
User

Apr 17, 2002, 12:21 PM

Post #7 of 22 (65721 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark] UV Steriliser [In reply to] Can't Post

My intention was not depend on the UV to clean my green but rather to use it to kill any bug that come from filter to pond (if any). hee .. but with the DIY box version that I made, it kill a lot of mosquito too. I was surprised the first week when I installed the UV in the filter (~7 years ago Wink) when I saw a layer of dead mosquito in one of the chamber where I put the UV.

SMW1
Veteran

Apr 17, 2002, 12:53 PM

Post #8 of 22 (65717 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Are you sure they were dead mosquito's ?.

Mosquito's lay there eggs in stagnent water, if this is unavailable they use any water. The eggs hatch and produce lavae, which will live in the water for a few days absorbing minerals though their tail (T shape), they will surface every few minutes for air. sometimes they will hang upside down on the surface if it is peaceful. Once these lavae trun into osquito's they surface and shed their skinn like a snake does. The skin remains in the skin remains in the water (grey/silver colour) and the mosquito's fly off to fing someone to chew on.

If a UV is powerful what bad bug can it kill ?. I would be very interested in this as I do not use a UV as my water is control by my filter which is doing an amazing job. Depending on answers to this qquestion I may set up the UV which I have laying in a box somewher ein the shed.

Stuart

Mark
Veteran

Apr 17, 2002, 1:01 PM

Post #9 of 22 (65717 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the respond.

In order to kill bad bugs you needs certain wattage. You may want to know that koi living in good managed water after sometimes, will develop a good resistance towards bad bugs.

cheers.

SMW1
Veteran

Apr 17, 2002, 1:40 PM

Post #10 of 22 (65714 views)
Shortcut

Ok, thanks Mark, the last statement will make me want to leave the UV in the box.

However you say a certain wattage. What level are we talking about and at what lph water flow ?.

Also what bad bugs are we talking about ?. Parasites or just nano bugs ?.

Stuart

cwloo
User

Apr 17, 2002, 4:27 PM

Post #11 of 22 (65709 views)
Shortcut

yes, I put the UV light ( 3 x 20watt) in the last statement chamber and I'm sure it's the dead mosquito cause I only put it for 3 days and I start notice a lot of them inside, maybe they are attract by the UV light.

This continue for almost 2~3 months until the the mosquito is greatly reduce in my area.

ctong9889
User

Apr 17, 2002, 6:35 PM

Post #12 of 22 (65703 views)
Shortcut

Hello all:

Some of you mentioned hi UV can kill bugs. I'm currently encountering frogs' eggs problem, a few days ago I saw whole bunch of frog eggs floating on top of water surface (evidence is I saw two frogs in my outdoor pond), I did catch the parent frogs and all eggs and throw them away, however frogs come back time by time).

Do kois eat the frog eggs, any harm/diseases? what's the best way(s) to prevent frogs and eggs to come in the pond? Please help, I wouldn't like to see thousands of tadpoles in my pond. (I think frogs come from the lake in my back yard, mostly)

Many thanks for comments/help
Chang

Mark
Veteran

Apr 18, 2002, 3:00 AM

Post #13 of 22 (65699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ctong9889] UV Steriliser [In reply to] Can't Post

1. UV @ 40 Watts, most bacteria including algae is killed.
  2. UV @ 50 Watts, white spot (called Ich).
  3. UV @250 Watts, Chilodinella. This is most effective wattage to control bad bugs.

cwloo
User

Apr 18, 2002, 4:12 AM

Post #14 of 22 (65695 views)
Shortcut

yes, high UV can kill bug if the contact time is higher , even frog. Do be careful with the UV as I once put it in the inlet charmber of the filter when I cleanning the filter and forget to move back to the pump chamber. 2 days later I discover 2 of my newly bought koi (~12cm) die inside the inlet chamber. They some how pass thru the cover under the pond and went into the filter. And, you don't wish to see dead frog floating inside your filter right ?

ctong9889
User

Apr 18, 2002, 6:25 AM

Post #15 of 22 (65691 views)
Shortcut

hello CWLOO and Mark,
Thanks for thr info of hi UV can kill frogs/eggs.
I'll be searching for 50W UV and try it.
Regards
Chang

newgen
User

Apr 18, 2002, 9:56 AM

Post #16 of 22 (65682 views)
Shortcut

Hi everyone!

I wanna share out some opinion! actually i think using UV to kill the algae is not good, when the algae dies, it will become something like brown color. And it will not kill all the algae in the pond or aquarium! correct me if i'm wrong.

I think that, yo should make use of the filter and think of ways to keep out from algae! thats the best thing! eekeke...try to do it! and the best way is to keep good bacteria~

Wish you luck!

JOHN

SMW1
Veteran

Apr 18, 2002, 11:05 AM

Post #17 of 22 (65677 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Mark,

On that note I think I may get the UV out of the box and only switch it on when there are signs of illness.

Stuart

Mark
Veteran

Apr 19, 2002, 7:29 AM

Post #18 of 22 (65661 views)
Shortcut

If you have to use UV lamp(s), my recommendation is to install the unit at the outlet of the filter system. Alternatively, like what I did previously, I have a separate pump to drive the water up the unit and back to the pond. In this way, I have the choice to turn it ON or OFF when the need arises. Just a word of caution, be prepared to pay high electricity bill.

newgen
User

Apr 19, 2002, 8:22 AM

Post #19 of 22 (65658 views)
Shortcut

Yup! I agree with Mark! that is easier to see the UV Light and sometimes you can wash it when it's dirty. Put it on a safe place for your koi, and of course FOR YOU TOO! as UV is harmful to living things!

KevKoi
Koi Kichi

Apr 19, 2002, 12:09 PM

Post #20 of 22 (65652 views)
Shortcut

Gee, didn't know that UV's take up a lot of power. Geez, had I known, I'd have switched off the UV to save on the power bill!! Just keeping in running 'cos I thought I'd like it sterilise the water as a 'just-in-case'.

I'm currently running 2 uvs on my pond and previously I had 2 Grundfos pumps running at 800W/hr. Electricity bill to run the bloody pond came out RM350plus per month!! (Just to run the pond24/7)

So much for me designing the pond to be 'big and powerful'. LOLLaugh

Do you know exactly how much it cost to run the UV's per month?

I've cut back my power bill considerably by replacing my Grundfos pumps with Tsurumi pumps (run at 150W/hr and has almost the same output..... not that much head, but I don't need the head.). Anyone use Tsurumi pumps? Any problems with 'em?

If I were to design another large pond, I'd really consider FOK pumps. Hugely reduces the running cost of the pond in the long run.

Just a 'lil warning to our new young friend Newgen, this hobby can get pretty damn expensive without you knowing it Wink .... but we love our kois nonetheless. Cool

SMW1
Veteran

Apr 19, 2002, 2:40 PM

Post #21 of 22 (65649 views)
Shortcut

Hi Mark. I will rig this up on th 9th and 10th chamber of the filter (the 10th being the pumps chamber). It will have a seperate flow to it controlled by valves. So I can turn it on and off when I like via the values.

Stuart

Thanks

QBW1
Novice

Apr 19, 2002, 4:01 PM

Post #22 of 22 (65646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KevKoi] UV Steriliser [In reply to] Can't Post

The running cost depending on the power of the UV filter. The UV filter that I am using is 9W, capable of handling flow rate up to 7000 l/hr.

Based on 9W lamp and ON 24/7, the monthly consumption should be about 6.5 kWH. In Singapore, the electric bill for 6.5 kWH is about $1.00

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com