Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Construction & Water Filtering System:
Which is more dangerous, high or low pH?

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Anonymous
Anonymous

Feb 10, 2000, 6:51 PM

Post #1 of 43 (81186 views)
Shortcut
Which is more dangerous, high or low pH? Can't Post

Hi everyone?

Of course both are dangerous. But the reason I ask the particular question is that I've made few beginners mistakes.

I've just introduced 9 small kois to my new concrete ponds. Unfortunately, the pH blow off the roof with reading almost at pH 10.

I've done the leaching process with Hydrochloric acid for more than a week. After that the pH seem like stable. So I drained the water and put fresh one for a day. The pH is around 8. Then, I introduced 7 kois in the pond. 2 days ago, I bought a Showa and Kohaku at UCP. Nice one, a Sakai and Dainichi. Now my stock is 9 kois. Today the pH value is almost 10. However, ammonia and Nitrite readings are zero. I put zeolite just to be careful of ammonia present in the pond. Did 15% water change. But pH still the same.

Later today I'm going to buy the pH down chemical.

So lesson to be learned:

1. Be patient, don't rush. Wait until water quality acceptable before stocking the pond.

2. Never buy expensive koi until acceptable water quality is achieved.

Thanks

Bancherd
User

Feb 11, 2000, 6:11 AM

Post #2 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut
Which is more dangerous, high or low pH? [In reply to] Can't Post

With you pH being around 10, is your water green by any chance?

I went through the same thing, leached out my concrete pond with hydrochloric acid, refilled, checked pH, around 8. Stocked up with my koi, things were OK until I had green water problem, my pH went to around 9, and stayed there(in the evening and morning). Could not figure out why my pH went so high(might be due to the algae).

Bancherd

Anonymous
Anonymous

Feb 11, 2000, 5:57 PM

Post #3 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

Hi Bancherd,

No the water is not turning green. At least not yet. I think the high pH due to the concrete lime.

Did you lose any fish? How did you bring the pH down and how long it took? Can you tell me about your fish reaction to the high pH? As I'm writing this message, I'm doing about 30% water change.

Thanks

Anonymous
Anonymous

Feb 11, 2000, 8:14 PM

Post #4 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

HELPPPPP.....

After I did 30% water change, the pH become 7.0. Within few minutes, my 4 inches chagoi seem like flashing around the surface and gasping for air. Soon after all of my 9 kois are gathering at the small waterfall.

I took the water reading as below:

pH 7.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite less than 0.3 ppm
GH 4dH
KH 3dH

I've panic and move them to a kiddie pool and put up small pump and filter. Now is about 20 minutes they are in there. Still swimming slowly at the surface.

The pool pH is about 7 also. I put in some sodium bicarbonate.

So pls help. I don't want to loose these guys.

Thanks

Anonymous
Anonymous

Feb 11, 2000, 8:52 PM

Post #5 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Things just getting worse. 5 of them are dead already I think. Others are just going to follow. I just don't understand what has happened. It just so fast and I'm hopeless.

I think I've done nothing wrong but water change just don't justify the terrible consequence.

Any opinion anyone? I'm just about a brink of tears....

Oh Tian Huat
User

Feb 11, 2000, 10:02 PM

Post #6 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

Hi Alan,

If you want a chat call me at xxxxxxxx. (Singapore).

pH 10 to 7 within in a short time is bad for the fish. Did you add anything else? Is the kiddy pool water new water as well?

Koi could take pH up more then pH down swing. But 30% water change is very normal, it should not bring the pH that far down. Check the water again.

-oh-

(This post was edited by Oh Tian Huat on Jun 2, 2001, 8:00 AM)

Mark
Veteran

Feb 11, 2000, 10:18 PM

Post #7 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

Hi Alan
Seems to me that you are experiencing an ammonia spike or a pH swings.
pH swings of more than 2 in a short period of time may be the reason
why the koi is dying

How long did you have the cement/concrete pond? How did you treat your pond?

Is your filtration system OK? Enough cap. for the pond?

Your pond may not be ready for fish.

You did the right thing by moving the koi to the kiddy pond. You should also:-
1. Aerate your kiddy pond vigorously. Air stone helps.
2. Add salt - besides killing bugs it also calms koi.
3. If you can install a heater and bring it to 28 to 30C, it definitely help to bring up the body resistance.

If you are still lost, bring your fish to the petshop and safe keep them there. The seller should be glad to help you. Alternatively, you may want to consider a small fibre glass tank and put the young ones there for the time being. Later tank can becomes a Q-tank when you move fish to pond.

Good luck

(This post was edited by Mark Richman on Nov 2, 2000, 9:00 AM)

KokJong
User

Feb 12, 2000, 4:48 AM

Post #8 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

Hi guys,

1. So mcuh about aeration and the acid. What kind of filter media did you use apart from zerolites?

2. Do you have bagful of coral chips in you filter box?

3. Give Tian Huat a ring, he likes to experiment with water. I'm sure he cld give you a beeper or so.

Regards.

------------------

Anonymous
Anonymous

Feb 12, 2000, 8:54 PM

Post #9 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

Hi everyone,

Lost all the kois last night in the kiddie pool. May be I should what happened to my pond so that it is easy to analyze the problem.

Pond description: 4'5" x 6'8" x 4'. Two filter chamber each 3'x 1.5'. First one is filled with brush and green net. Second, is with filter mat bought in Syarikat Atari in Tmn Desa. First filter is fed by bottom drain from the pond. Then submersible pump is used in second filter to pump water out to 1 stream, 1 waterfall and 1 middle water return.

Pond finished on 28 January. Then filled with water and the waterpump is used to keep water running 24hr. Hydrochloric Acid was added up almost daily to keep pH at 5. This was done up to 6 February when the pH stay stable at 5.

On the 7th, water with acid was drained and replace with fresh tap water. 2 kg salt added along with dechlor. Add all the brush, net and filter material and let the water running.

On the 8th, pH is 8 and two kois introduced to the pond.

9th Feb, Nothing happened to the two kois and 5 kois is added. The seem active and look very hungry but I only feed them a little. I worry about ammonia building up.

10th Feb, added 2 new kois. In the afternoon, took pH reading and result is 9.5. Ammonia and Nitrite readings were zero. Add 1 bag of zeolite in 2nd filter chamber. Add 2 bottle of pH down. The amount is enough to treat 600L of water.

11th Feb, pH at 8.5 in the morning. Decided to do 30% waterchange. This suddenly made the pH swing down to 7 and the fish dying within minutes. Took out all the fish in the pond into kiddie pond and they keep dying. In the afternoon 3 hours after water change, I noticed that the water in main become chalky white.

Today, Even though there are no fish in the pond, I keep the water running. The water still chalky white and the pH is 7.

So, thanks for everyone concern. I'll gather all my strength and suck in my pride and made one commitment. I'll never give up this hobby.

To all the guru here, please give your best shot on what the problem really is. I knew may be 90% is my own mistake.

Thanks

Bancherd
User

Feb 13, 2000, 2:44 AM

Post #10 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

Hi Alan:

I am no guru(just got my pond going about 3 weeks earlier than you). I am sorry that you lost your fish. Believe it or not, ever since I joined this forum, sucked down all the information, I have not lost any fish!(knock on wood), as a matter of fact, I increased my fish from about 12 to 26(as of today).

I am not sure about the pH of your replacement water. The fact that your pond's pH dropped like a rock and stayed at around 7 suggested that you no longer have lime-leaching problem(if it ever were a problem). Your replacement water might be a problem.

Regarding my pond, the fish(all 26 of them!) are doing just fine. pH stayed around 9 in the evening and morning, and water was very green. Two weeks ago, I added sea-salt to 0.3%, then something happened:
pH in the evening stays around 9.
pH in the morning stays around 7.5...ouch
but the fishes are not showing anything unusual. I guess my adding salt killed off algae, adding biological load to my system, and dropped my pH. Does this make sense?

Bancherd

cch
User

Feb 13, 2000, 5:39 AM

Post #11 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

When pH shot up to 9.5 in such a new pond, it is obvious that you have not cured your pond sufficiently. No other condition will shoot your pH up so fast other than your new pond condition.

Curing of new pond include adding to water to new pond and draining it off and adding again until the pH of the water is stabilized. This process may require up to a month. Adding acid will be great help but acid will only neutralized the water in the pond. So your just has to monitor your pond water a little bit longer and check pH continuously before adding koi. Drain the water in regular interval until the pH is stabilized.

Oh Tian Huat
User

Feb 13, 2000, 6:10 AM

Post #12 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

Hi Bancherd,

Ph swing that much is bad. Stay at 9 is better than swinging between 7.5 and 9. You might want to check your KH. Post your result. I suspect that it might be as low as 1-2 kdH.

You are right, your bio-load is high and the filter is working hard to keep the Ammonia zero. You need a lots of carbonate to support your bio-filter. Do not worry about high pH watch your kH instead.

-oh-

Mark
Veteran

Feb 13, 2000, 8:13 AM

Post #13 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

Hi Alan
Could you provide more info on those koi housed in the kiddy pond will be good for lesson.

Hope you don't mind we do a postmorten here:
1. Precisely, how long after transferring the koi to the kiddy pond did water turns chalky... did you say chalky - white?
2. What were those water parameters before and after putting in the koi?
3. Is your filter system colonised?
4. Take a look at your filter. Are the surface water (top 2 to 4 inches depth) clear?

My suspicions on your pond:
1. Filter not colonised. Betw Jan to Feb - these periods is not possible for filter to colonise unless you "jump start" your filter system.
2. On 7 Feb, you did 30% water change. If not decholrine, probably this water changes kills bugs which was building up in the filter. Its worst if water is filled thro' the filter system at 1st chamber.
3. 2 chambers filter system. You give 2 figures. What are they - height x width x (?)height or what?
4. Pond not ready to recieve fish!

Anonymous
Anonymous

Feb 13, 2000, 7:01 PM

Post #14 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

For Mark's question,

1. No, the water in the pond that turned chalky white. The kiddie pond water is OK. Today, morning, the pond water clearing up to the point I can see the pond bottom. pH goes down to 6.5. The main pond water turn chalky within 20 minutes after the 30% water change.

2. My filter is not colonised yet. It just been treated for four days using bioenzyme.

3. Filter surface is clear.

1. Tap water is fed through main pond. I used Tetra dechlor. And I check chlorine content, undetectable.

2. Filter chamber is 3'x1.5'x 3.5'.

3. I think so.... so how long I have to wait?

For OTH question, my KH reading as posted is 3 dH. Is it too low.

Thanks
Broken hearted koi lover

Khoobg
Webmaster

Feb 13, 2000, 7:40 PM

Post #15 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

Hi Alan,

Like Mark has said, your pond is definitely not ready for koi yet. Do not introduce koi, especially high quality, until the ph is close to 8.0.

Once the koi is added to the pond, do not add acid as big pH swing of more than 2.0 will cause substantial pH shock to koi and this is the reason that you koi die. Just like Tian Huat said, a pH at 9.0 is still better than risking your koi with big pH swing.

Each time when your water is in acidic condition, any water change will turn your pond water to chalky white condition. If you stay in KL, most tap water is in alkali condition. Adding alkali to acid will lead to neutralization process, hence the chalky white condition.

So how long you have to wait ? What you need to do is to drain your pond water, fill up again, wait a few days and measure the pH. If the pH is still high, repeat the process until the pH is close to a stable 8.0 before introducing more koi.

Cheers

Anonymous
Anonymous

Feb 13, 2000, 8:59 PM

Post #16 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Khoobg,

I'll keep that at the back of my mind forever. Today, I'll drain the water and fill up again and let the pump running for few days.

Just few questions;

1. Is it OK to introduce fish in a new pond but the filter is also brand new?

2. Last Dec 99, I saw beautiful small kois at PWTC during Aquamas 99. They were only RM38. Furthermore, they come in all type of koi. Ogon, Kohaku, Chagoi,Shusui, Shiro, Utsurimone etc. The company that put them into display is UCP. But when I went to UCP last week, they only got 6 small pond that have expensive small kois. Do you know where I can get this kind of deal around KL?
I need to find the replacement for my kois especially by next month when my pond water getting better.

I've been to Zen Watergarden and Syarikat Atari, but the quality is not that good.

Thanks
Broken hearted

Khoobg
Webmaster

Feb 13, 2000, 9:52 PM

Post #17 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

Hi Alan,

It is OK to add koi to pond even when the filter is new. However, do add only in small numbers and control koi feeding. Test water for ammonia and nitrite level regular to ensure they do not hit danger level.

The filter need koi waste for bacteria to colonise. When your filter is starting to be colonised by bacteria, you will observe that the ammonia and nitrite level will start to drop. From there, add more koi slowly. Beware, do not overstocked.

Cheers

Bancherd
User

Feb 14, 2000, 6:54 AM

Post #18 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

Alan:

Not sure if it is safe for pond, but I have read from somewhere that one could dump a small amount of household ammonia into the pond to get the filter going.

I did use this trick on my salt-water tank(years ago), and it significantly shortened the time it took for my filter to mature.

Bancherd

Khoobg
Webmaster

Feb 14, 2000, 7:39 AM

Post #19 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

Hello Bancherd,

Without koi in the pond, you possibly add ammonia to get the filter started. Ammonia will serve as food for the bacteria to start the cycle. If there are koi inside the pond, then just feed the koi and ammonia will be produced anyway.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Feb 15, 2000, 7:13 AM

Post #20 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

My KH is low at 3 dH. Is it possible? I mean pH is high at 9 while KH is low. I've heard that concrete pond is famous for high KH and pH.

How do I drive the KH higher?

Thanks

Oh Tian Huat
User

Feb 15, 2000, 7:33 AM

Post #21 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

kH must be kept high above 4 at least. Baking soda will do the job.

See related post at http://www.cyberfins.com/...um3/HTML/000005.html

-oh-

Anonymous
Anonymous

Feb 15, 2000, 8:13 AM

Post #22 of 43 (81137 views)
Shortcut

Hi OTH,

Isn't that will also drive the pH value higher? I mean if the pH is already high and you add baking soda, the pH will go higher.

Thanks

Oh Tian Huat
User

Feb 15, 2000, 8:48 AM

Post #23 of 43 (81137 views)
Shortcut

Hi Alan,
The nice thing about baking soda is that you never be able to bring the pH above 8.4. Try a little experiment using small amount of water and lots of baking soda. Max. pH is 8.4. I never have a chance to try the experiment on high pH pond water. I think it should bring the pH down to 8.4. Try it and let me know.
-oh-

Anonymous
Anonymous

Feb 16, 2000, 4:16 AM

Post #24 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

Hi OTH,

I've tried adding 100g baking soda to my 600 gal pond. Initial reading is pH 9 and KH 3dH. After 30 minutes, pH maintain at 9 but KH increase to 4 dH. I would like drive up the hardness to 6 dH as you advised. Unfortunately, the pH refused to go down.

Anyway, I will try to add another 100g tomorrow.

Wish me luck

Thanks

cch
User

Feb 16, 2000, 4:42 AM

Post #25 of 43 (81136 views)
Shortcut

Adding Baking Soda may not be able to push pH above 8.4 but this does not mean that it can bring pH down.

To bring pH down, you need acid. Baking Soda is unfortunately not an acid and therefore I do not think that it will bring the pH down by adding more.

Adding more Soda will increade KH and hence more buffer again pH change.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com