Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Construction & Water Filtering System:
filter construction

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Khoobg
Webmaster

May 27, 2002, 9:43 AM

Post #1 of 29 (89391 views)
Shortcut
filter construction Can't Post

UPGRADING A KOI POND (PART 3) - Working With Fiberglass

By: Eric Lim

Before I proceed, I would like to update the latest happening on our pond project. Due to the persistent green pea water condition, I added on an 18W Ultra Violet unit (cost: S$230) at the 3rd. Compartment Nova 300 pump T-out point. After 3 days of running, the 17 tons pond water was now clear. So, to prolong the bulb’s life I added on a timer to run at 12hrs. Interval. If run at 24hrs., the bulb’s life span is 11 months. The UV unit is design to cater for 20tons. Spare-parts are available easily.

In this article, I will discuss on where to buy fiberglass materials for small amount of usage and how to apply it.

Layout of Fiberglass materials and equipment required

Below is the address and cost of fiberglass materials;

Sin Kang Lian Hardware Co.
27A, Jurong Port Rd., Blk. 2, #01-51
Tel: 261 3122, Fax: 265 5046

(Note: their right side hardware shop neighbour Huat Hardware Ind. Supply, #01-52, also sell these materials, but slightly more expensive)

Cost for small amount of usage;
Fiberglass mat (5.5ft.x3.5ft) = S$8
Resin (1 gallon) + hardener (small bottle) = S$40
Acetone (1 gallon) = S$10

Cost for large amount of usage;
Fiberglass mat (whole roll- by weigh) = esti. S$120
Resin (1 tin - 7 gallons) + hardener (1 gallon) = S$100
Acetone (1 tin) = esti. $50

(Our project required the large amount of usage = more economical).

Next, we will discuss on how to use the materials.

Acetone - is use for washing brushes, rollers, diluting of the resin for easy working when it started to harden slightly. It is highly flammable & volatile. So keep well cover. Do not punch hole on container top. 1 gal. of resin is only enough for 2 standard mats (ie. 38 sq.ft.). Always wash brush and container holder after use, using acetone and leave the brush to soak in clean acetone in a seal container (to prevent brush from hardening).

Resin – the most expensive item of all. So do estimate correctly to prevent wastage. Once the hardener is added, it will start to harden. Any not in use has to be thrown away. Better to use small amount first and mix some more again, if further required.

Hardener – add to the resin to cause it to solidify and harden. The bottle is never use-up fully.

*Important - If you think you mark equally on the resin container & then on the small hardener bottle the same nos. of markings and use this to mix in equal proportion = WRONG. The mixture will harden in 5 mins. Too much hardener here. Use only half the amount. Always keep stirring constantly to check for premature hardening. Better to have another helper for this job. Add Acetone to dilute but not too much as it will make drying much longer (three days instead of one day).

Mat – is actually glass in fiber form. Work like a piece of cloth, cut using a pair of scissors. Once resin mixture is apply, will fuse in and harden in 1 day.

*Beware of any hardens fiber hair sticking out. Is as sharp as a needle. Use sandpaper to smoothen down.

Fiberglass patch-up at filter box joint and side.

Caution – when you need to bore holes, DO NOT use your hand to swipe off the fiber dust. You will experience hundreds of needles pricking you and rashes will appear. Best to use gloves, long sleeves shirt or using a vacuum cleaner to suck off the dust. If somehow dust did get in, use cloth type of masking tape and use the sticky side to apply on the itchy area. This does helped in pulling out the micro glass splinters. Always use an eye goggles & mouth mask during drilling. Safety first.

Patching up a crack on the side of an 8ft. Tank.

Apply one layer at a time and dry first before applying another layer. Minimum is two layers. For better strength, add more layers as required. Eight layers can take a lot of weight. But more layers means more resin is needed, therefore cost will also increase. Make sure no air bubbles are traps under when applying the resin. I was unable to get hold of colour dye, as the shop did not sell it. For the compartment partition, we used plywood with 2 layers of FG wrap over it. For both ends, we used 4 layers, applying & drying each at a time. This way, it is much stronger.

For the final, we used 2 coats of non-toxic epoxy paint for painting the whole tank internal (4 liters in usage).

For FG work, I'll advise using 2 persons – one working on the FG & another to give a helping hand as needed. In the beginning, I used rubber gloves, but find it very troublesome. Finally, I use my bare hand, which has better feeling & can work faster. Clean-up hands using clean acetone and then soap.

*Caution – make sure no one is smoking near you. Highly flammable.

As to where to buy non-toxic epoxy paint, I got mine at Siong Hua Supplier Pte Ltd, 184-A Chua Chu Kang Rd., Tel: 769 1001 (just opposite Keat Hong army camp), at S$70 for 5 liters which also came with a small tin of hardener. For specified colour, you have to order in advance – takes minimum one week.

Mix the hardener in for only the amount required. Hardening is not as quick as in FG mixing.

FG can also be used for many other application – sealing leaking pipe, roof / sewer drainage / joints, patching back drilled holes in tank, be molded into any shape like pond bottom intake cover, rubbish container repair, protecting facility from any corrosive chemicals, repairing roof leakage, etc.

Repairing of cracks along a drainage using fiberglass

Working with FG is a very itchy & messy job. And it is certainly not cheap. Of course the best is to contract out to a FG maker. Problem is most of them are not too keen on small job. Our project cost us S$300 just in FG materials.

(This post was edited by Khoobg on May 31, 2002, 3:12 AM)

newgen
User

May 27, 2002, 10:06 AM

Post #2 of 29 (89329 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] filter construction [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Mr, Khoo!

Actually what are these pictures all about? I'm not sure what is it, can you tell me? or Us?

Thanks!

Regards,
John

Eric Lim
User

May 27, 2002, 12:35 PM

Post #3 of 29 (89319 views)
Shortcut
Re: [newgen] filter construction [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! Newgen,

It's photos of my 2 pages article on `How to Work with Fibreglass'.

I'd also sent the text to him. With the text, it explains better. Cool

May have to wait for Mr. Khoo to post up the text.
Sorry. Blush

Rdgs,
Eric Lim

patrick123
Veteran

May 28, 2002, 10:53 AM

Post #4 of 29 (89278 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Eric Lim] filter construction [In reply to] Can't Post

Eric,

Do you know where I can buy fiber glass sheets in Singapore? I'm thinking of doing some customization on my FG tank/fiber to make bottom drain. Cool Do you know whether silicon is strong enough to hold FG sheets together?

Thanks,
Patrick

SMW1
Veteran

May 28, 2002, 11:35 AM

Post #5 of 29 (89274 views)
Shortcut
Re: [patrick123] filter construction [In reply to] Can't Post

Silicon would be no good for fibre glass. You would need the appoxy resin that is used for all fibre glassing.

Eric Lim
User

May 28, 2002, 4:13 PM

Post #6 of 29 (89257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SMW1] filter construction [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! Patrick,

SMW1 is correct. No need used silicon. Resin + hardener will hardened the fibreglass mat. Wink

All is explained, including where to buy in S'pore & how much the cost, how to apply,etc. = all in the 2 pages text.

Maybe I send a reminder to Mr. Khoo. Blush

Rdgs,
Eric

newgen
User

May 28, 2002, 6:36 PM

Post #7 of 29 (89251 views)
Shortcut

Hi there!

Can anyone tell me, This page and pictures is about which previous post?

Unfortunately, i can't find it! can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Regards,
John

SMW1
Veteran

May 28, 2002, 7:47 PM

Post #8 of 29 (89248 views)
Shortcut
Re: [newgen] filter construction [In reply to] Can't Post

Be patient John,

There is no previous post. Eric has send the pictures along with the explanation for them to Mr Khoo, but Mr Khoo must be very busy at the moment as so far we onlyhave the pictures without the text.

patrick123
Veteran

May 29, 2002, 4:09 AM

Post #9 of 29 (89232 views)
Shortcut

Eric,

Since I need this info in a hurry (need to do some FG work this weekend), could you email the pages to me at: pchng@lucent.com ?

Thanks in advance,
Patrick

Eric Lim
User

May 29, 2002, 4:13 PM

Post #10 of 29 (89212 views)
Shortcut

Hi! Patrick,

Had sent email with text file attachment to you.
Wink
Wah! So desperate....

Rdgs,
Eric

patrick123
Veteran

May 30, 2002, 4:21 AM

Post #11 of 29 (89191 views)
Shortcut

Eric,

I received your article. Thank so much. It is very detail and comprehensive. Hope Mr Khoo will post it up in the web soon so that everyone can see it too.

On the other hand, after reading your article, it doesn't seem like a easy or hazard-free job. At first, I was thinking of adding a bottom drain in my overhead FG filter tank, now I'm having a second thought. Unsure

Do you know any FG contractor willing to do this for me?

Thanks,
Patrick

KevKoi
Koi Kichi

May 30, 2002, 8:21 AM

Post #12 of 29 (89174 views)
Shortcut

Aiyah, see lah, stay in S'pore. I know someone in M'sia.... so dun think that helps you much huh? Frown

patrick123
Veteran

May 30, 2002, 8:32 AM

Post #13 of 29 (89173 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KevKoi] filter construction [In reply to] Can't Post

Kevin,

Don't think so unless he is willing to come to Singapore. May be I can bring my filter box along when I visit Dr Tan's pond Laugh. Are you going to be back from Australia for the visit too? It will be great to meet you in person. SmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

Cheers,
Patrick

KevKoi
Koi Kichi

May 30, 2002, 8:49 AM

Post #14 of 29 (89169 views)
Shortcut

Sadly no, I won't be back then...Frown I'll be in the middle of the Australian Desert in a place called Menindee doing some work.FrownFrownFrown

Oh well.....

patrick123
Veteran

May 30, 2002, 11:41 AM

Post #15 of 29 (89157 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KevKoi] filter construction [In reply to] Can't Post

Kevin,

Hope you are not digging a giant pond in the middle of outback desert. LaughLaughLaughLaugh

Cheers,
Patrick

KevKoi
Koi Kichi

May 30, 2002, 8:37 PM

Post #16 of 29 (89140 views)
Shortcut

Oh GAWD! I AM actually.... LOL!! It's a research facility..... but it's fish related too. ;) It's actually my thesis/design project.

Khoobg
Webmaster

May 31, 2002, 3:15 AM

Post #17 of 29 (89126 views)
Shortcut

Text by Mr. Eric Lim added. Sorry for the long delay Frown

johnson lee
Veteran

May 31, 2002, 5:29 AM

Post #18 of 29 (89115 views)
Shortcut

Webmaster Khoo

Can't seem to see any text from Eric!!?Crazy

Am I the only one?

Johnson

dttk
Veteran

May 31, 2002, 5:57 AM

Post #19 of 29 (89111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [johnson lee] filter construction [In reply to] Can't Post

Johnson, scroll all the way up and you'll see the text.Smile
Always friendly :)

johnson lee
Veteran

May 31, 2002, 6:06 AM

Post #20 of 29 (89109 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dttk] filter construction [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks doc!

Am I a dud or what? Crazy Should have use some common sense before asking webmaster khoo!!Unsure

Johnson

patrick123
Veteran

Jun 3, 2002, 1:30 PM

Post #21 of 29 (89060 views)
Shortcut

Eric,

Just one question for you. If I want to add a bottom drain with PVC valve on my FG filter box, can I do just the following:

1. Drill a hole at the bottom of the FG filter box.
2. Buy a pair of 20cm PVC joints with screw threads.
3. Sandwich the FG bottom with the PVC joints and silicon the joints.

Will this work without leakage?

Please advise. I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say as I'm not a plumber by profession.

Cheers,
Patrick

Eric Lim
User

Jun 3, 2002, 4:13 PM

Post #22 of 29 (89054 views)
Shortcut

Hi! Patrick,

To your earlier question - you can call Mr. Thomas Tan of Ban Loke Manufacturing Trading Co. Pg: 9607 4772. If can't get him - go to Love Koi. He's usually there with Eric Ong.
Your problem is - IS your job big enough to interest him? He's a busy man. But his workmanship is of quality, unlike others in the market. Laugh

As per your later questions - the way I see it, its too small scope. Do it yourself. Unsure
1. Why do you use only 20mm PVC piping for drainage? that's 3/4 ins. - too small as drain pipe.
If possible not less than 2ins./50mm - or whatever largest size you can afford above 20mm.
Or am I reading incorrectly - you really meant 20CM. That's abt. 8ins. wow! Cost of 8ins. PVC fitting will kill you, that is IF you can find a shop who STOCK them....Crazy
2. Use a male & female coupling with external & internal threads. Remember to buy the rubber gaskets - one on each side.
3. Remember - inner side of filter box is always smooth. Use the female piece on the Inside, coz the face area is bigger & sealing with the rubber gasket inbetween is much better. You can use silicone here for more failproof sealing. On the outside, you still use one more rubber gasket or not at all (doesn't sealed well anyway).
4. Once this is done - applied 2 layers of FG at one go, dry till tomorrow & then again 2 more coats & dry.
To over come the circular PVC piping contour, you can cut the mat with a V-cut so that the mat can sit inner. Tongue

The 1st time is always difficult, especially with the terrible smell & sticky / messy job. But once you are more familiar - can work faster & seems easier. Wink
You be surprise how FG can be useful for many other sealing job. In facts, I learnt this technique when I once worked in an chemical company where corrosion is a big problem. Every bolts & nuts are FG to made it more lasting. Even wooden frames can also be coated.

The only thing I still can't find is the non-toxic color dye for FG. Not sold in the shops I'd mentioned. Don't think Thomas is willing to sell or tell me where to buy!! Pirate
Anyone out there know where to buy in S'pore?
Pls. care to share? Crazy

rdgs,
Eric

(This post was edited by Eric Lim on Jun 3, 2002, 4:26 PM)

patrick123
Veteran

Jun 4, 2002, 1:02 PM

Post #23 of 29 (89028 views)
Shortcut

Eric,

Thanks for the info. It is 20mm (a very small FG filter box lah..) BlushBlushBlush

I was just trying to save myself some trouble by only using the silicone glue to glue the male and female coupling together. Don't know if this will leak. What do you think?

Thanks,
Patrick

QBW1
Novice

Jun 4, 2002, 2:47 PM

Post #24 of 29 (89023 views)
Shortcut

Eric, I wonder whether Patrick can use PVC glue instead of silicon glue. I just thinking it should be more suitable to use PVC glue for PVC pipe, rather than silicon glue. Wink What do think ?

Happy koi keeping !

bcktang
User

Jun 4, 2002, 7:05 PM

Post #25 of 29 (89014 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

i used silicon to glue my pipes together, but it didnt work, so dont use it,

use PVC glue would be the best.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com