Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Water Quality:
Ammonia-Zeolite-UV

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

doitsu
Novice

Apr 18, 2002, 4:09 PM

Post #26 of 35 (43880 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dttk] Ammonia-Zeolite-UV [In reply to] Can't Post

EEErrr... Dr. Tan,

Hope you did not miss my question earlier today...

(Just checking)

KevKoi
Koi Kichi

Apr 19, 2002, 2:57 AM

Post #27 of 35 (43873 views)
Shortcut
Re: Baking Soda. [In reply to] Can't Post

Baking soda is also known as Sodium Bicarbonate. (or if you so happen to see it in Malaysia, it's sometimes sold as Natrium Bicarbonat <--- Malay version. )

It's found at your local sundry shop, usually in small little clear plastic containers. Looks like very fine white salt grains.

If your pond is big (like 30 000L +) be prepared to buy quite a lot of baking soda to see change in pH. Check with pH tester to see if what you have added is enough, ie pH drop or rise to 8.4

I personally only ever added baking soda once, and that's when my new 45 000L pond was completed. After that, I just maintain pH using coral chips in bags in the pump chamber and some in the trickle towers. pH 'bout 7.8 last time I checked. Blush

Mark
Veteran

Apr 19, 2002, 4:06 AM

Post #28 of 35 (43872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doitsu] Ammonia-Zeolite-UV [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Doitsu,

Baking soda is a layman term. The chemical name is Sodium Bicarbonate and is commonly used for baking cake. Please note that baking soda is different from baking powder. I once read ponder in Singapore throwing baking powder into the pond instead of baking soda and all the fish were "baked" overnight.

Baking soda is usually used in situation whereby there is a pH crashed - falling below 6. It will not hurt the fish or the good bugs in the filter system. Please also note that Baking Soda does not offer a permanent solution to a constant pH crash resulting from a poor filter system.

Since I do not know where you are from, I can only recommend you those outlets from Singapore. You may go to NTUC Supermart, Diamaru and Guardian Phamarcy or any place that sells product relating to cakes hobby. Sodium Bicarbonate is cheap and but you may not be able to buy them by the bulk. A 100gm repacked bottle costs S$0.95 available from NTUC. Price at Diamaru is alittel higher but Guardian is selling it a a premium price.

Good luck.

Appreciate if you could give us more info. about yourself in your personal profile. Thanks.

johnson lee
Veteran

Apr 19, 2002, 5:26 AM

Post #29 of 35 (43866 views)
Shortcut

SmileGood morning Dr Tan

Yes, I can understand your reasoning for not wanting the KH to be above 120.Cool I believe that a KH of around 80-120 is within the limits and yes a higher KH than that can cause ammonia toxicity if ammonia is present in the water.Crazy So guys, make sure you check your KH readings as well apart from pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates because KH readings lower than 80 will cause adverse fluctuation in your pH which in turn can cause pH crashes. Thanks Dr Tan for your input. I appreciate it. Also, I agree with you in disliking putting baking soda on a regular basis!Sly I probably do it once a quarter.

Rgds

Johnson

dttk
Veteran

Apr 19, 2002, 5:27 AM

Post #30 of 35 (43866 views)
Shortcut

Hi doitsu, sorry for the delay in answering your previous question. I thought it was directed to Johnson...Crazy. Nevertheless, Mark and Kevkoi have answered them already...Smile. Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate can be obtained cheaply in shops that supply to bakers. I get mine at RM7 per 2kg bags from a shop in Uptown Damansara. The 100g per bottle packing at the grocers or supermarts are much more costly. 100g of baking soda raises the KH of 1000L of water by 17.9ppm. Smile
Always friendly :)

johnson lee
Veteran

Apr 19, 2002, 5:36 AM

Post #31 of 35 (43862 views)
Shortcut

SmileHi Doitsu

Basically Mark and Kevkoi have answered your question about sodium bicarbonate (SB).Cool Remember, DO NOT BUY baking powder! Otherwise....your kois will Pirate uggghhh!

I agree with Mark that SB is not a permanent solution in maintaining stable pH. You might use it initially to bring up the pH of your pond when it is hovering near the danger level of say, below 6. A better alternative to buffering the pH of your pond is by using oyster shells or cockles in your filter system.

The carbonates in these shells will help 'neutralise' the acid produced from decaying matter, koi poop etc. Yes, SB is safe to use with fishes. Depending on your requirement, you can buy SB in bulk from cake shops. I buy my SB from a bakery supplier thus you can get them in 500g or 1kg packs. It is also cheaper to buy them this way. All the best!

Rgds

JohnsonSmile

doitsu
Novice

Apr 22, 2002, 7:31 PM

Post #32 of 35 (43840 views)
Shortcut

Hi Dr. Tan, Johnson and Mark, and all the rest,

Thank you for your elaborate reply regarding the sodium bicarbonate.

However, you guys missed out my question on April 18. But I'll repeat it hear again.
If my ph is 9, what will happen if I place oyster shells in my filter?
What do you mean oyster shells buffer the ph?
Could you guys please explain the concept to me?
By the way, oyster shell stinks big time. I've soaked them, I've basked them under the blazing sun, then soak it in salt water, yet they still stink big time! Are they supposed to be like that? Will my whole pond stink?
Any advice, comments, and elaboration would be appreciated.
Sorry if this sounds to easy for you veterans but I hope you'll take time to explain these things to a amateur little 'brother'Angelic.
Thanks you guys... really learnt a lot from you guys!Cool

johnson lee
Veteran

Apr 23, 2002, 6:00 AM

Post #33 of 35 (43828 views)
Shortcut

SmileHi doitsu

If your pH is 9 and you add oyster shells, there will probably be a slight increase in your pH initially but as the carbonates is 'consumed' during the nitrification process, the pH will gradually start to drop.

In my earlier article, I mentioned that corals, oyster shells and cockles (all with carbonate based substance) acts as a very good pH buffer. Buffering basically means preventing the pH from swinging/dropping below the acid level ie. below 6 Some people refer to this as pH crash.

We know that koi thrives in alkaline water ie. between 7 - 8.4. So we would want to keep our pH between this range at all times. So if your pH is below 7, you add baking soda to increase the carbonates thus increasing the pH. If your pond is a concrete pond, then at the beginning you will have a naturally high pH because of the lime from the cement. However, over time as the lime wears off, your pH will start to drop. That is why you hear us talking about buffering the pH with the abovementioned stuff like oyster shells etc.

Yes, I agree with you that oyster shells stinks!Crazy I have also tried all sorts of ways to remove the smell but with varying amounts of success. In my case, I use cockles. I have put it under the sun for long periods of time. I then soak in lime water with salt and I also took the trouble to remove all the residue flesh and dirt from the shells. Ouch...my finger nails are still hurting!Pirate After that, I dry them under the sun again. It has been a long process so I detect very little smell now. However, once you put them into the filter, the smell from return!

Good luck to you!

Rgds

Johnson

doitsu
Novice

Apr 23, 2002, 7:42 PM

Post #34 of 35 (43812 views)
Shortcut
Re: [johnson lee] Ammonia-Zeolite-UV [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much Johnson for your elaborate reply.
So, I guess I'll wait till my ph go down a little ( as my ph is 9) then place the oyster shells since placing them in now will cause a rise. Or should I just put it in straight away?

Regarding the stench, I think you almost answered the whole questions except that you chose the wrong word - 'from' - in the last sentence of your reply. Perhaps you could rephrase that? Thanks man.

johnson lee
Veteran

Apr 24, 2002, 5:13 AM

Post #35 of 35 (43803 views)
Shortcut

Hi doitsu

I am glad that my article has been useful to you!Cool Thanks for pointing out the error in the last sentence. It was not a wrong choice of word but when I type too fast and do not have the time to check, this is what happens!Crazy

Anyway, it should read as 'the smell will return!'

Rgds

JohnsonSmile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com