Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Water Quality:
ORP?

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

raistlin
User

Sep 3, 2009, 2:00 PM

Post #1 of 13 (12160 views)
Shortcut
ORP? Can't Post

Hi All,

Just wondering how many sifus here monitor ORP levels, is it really useful?

Regards,
Raistlin

lamig747
User

Sep 29, 2009, 2:15 PM

Post #2 of 13 (12029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [raistlin] ORP? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey raistlin, youre really in too deepSly

raistlin
User

Sep 30, 2009, 11:22 AM

Post #3 of 13 (11977 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lamig747] ORP? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha.. Just like the the scientific approach. Tongue I find it easier to accept something if I can actually understand WHY. So I am giving myself at least 1-2 years to study and experiment before I ramp up my efforts in the hobby.

simoneinzaghi88
User

Sep 30, 2009, 3:56 PM

Post #4 of 13 (11955 views)
Shortcut

HI Raistlin,

May I know what ORP is?
Thanks and regards

Simon

raistlin
User

Oct 1, 2009, 4:46 PM

Post #5 of 13 (11902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simoneinzaghi88] ORP? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Simon,

ORP or Redox potential, in a most simplistic explanation, measures the 'health' of your pond water. Unfortunately, it is highly complex and variable according to individual situations unlike parameters like Nitrate levels, pH etc. According to my understanding however, it looks like a very good way to monitor real-time how your pond is doing. By doing regular monitoring, you can tell whether your pond design and maintenance is sufficient. This is also one of the measurements you would use if you use ozone generators. A probe is coupled with the ozone generator to control the level of ozone in the water to prevent overdosing.

I still don't really understand it, but it sounds interesting to me. And unlike some of the other meters used to measure some parameters, an ORP meter seems quite affordable. You might want to do more reading yourself if you're interested. Here's one of the better threads I've seen.

http://www.koi-bito.com/...e-orp-questions.html

Cheers! Smile
Raistlin

farik
User

Oct 2, 2009, 2:18 AM

Post #6 of 13 (11840 views)
Shortcut

Wah,.... i haven't heard about redox potential eversince i left my uni years.... ha,ha,Have to get out those chemical text books i guess....Yeah, using ozone is now widely used but you must make sure that the ozone generator emits the exact amout of ozone and it needs calibration every 6 months to a year.too much of it kills not only the kois even us...Tongue
mad about koi

simoneinzaghi88
User

Oct 2, 2009, 2:52 AM

Post #7 of 13 (11828 views)
Shortcut

Hi raistlin,

Wow!! This is way too deep for my comprehension. Anyway, it's interesting and will read up more about it. Thanks mate!!Wink
Thanks and regards

Simon

raistlin
User

Oct 3, 2009, 2:28 PM

Post #8 of 13 (11660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simoneinzaghi88] ORP? [In reply to] Can't Post

Kigoi3m> Ha.. yeah ozone seems to be used quite widely in certain parts of the world for koi. I'm not too keen on ozone as you mentioned about the possible problems. My interest in monitoring ORP stems from the fact that it gives sort of a general idea how your pond is doing if monitored in real-time.

Simon> Ha.. a lot of the topics are also way over my head, but reading about it is really interesting. We're all here to learn from the kichis with way more experience than us so no worries! Smile

monscine
Koi Kichi

Nov 3, 2009, 9:18 PM

Post #9 of 13 (11294 views)
Shortcut

Hi Raistlin,

I'm about using this device. And I just get this about 2 months ago, but I haven't get my time yet to install it on my pond. The usage of ORP meter is quite good as we can know some parameter that happen to our pond water. I rewrite the summary from the link given from you as follows :

<120mv : The water is very polluted. The pond filtration and aeration has not kept up with the organic load.
120-200mv : The water is polluted. The pond filtration and aeration is struggling to keep up with the organic load.
200-300mv : The water is relative clean. The pond filtration and aeration are keeping up with the organic load.
300-400mv : The water is extremely clean. The pond filtration and aeration are more than keeping up with the load. This should be the target range for all nishikigoi ponds.
400-500mv : This range may be too oxidative for long range good nishikigoi health. May indicate presence of a chemical oxidizer such as potassium permanganate, chlorine, or ozone
500-550mv : Very oxidative water suitable for killing parasites. Exposure should not be longer than 8 hours.
550-650mv : Too oxidative for nishikigoi long term or short term.
650-700mv : In this range bacteria are killed within a few seconds and the water is considered sterile enough to be potable.

Below is the device that i will use on my pond and will be connected to ozone generator Wink

Cheers,
Handy

raistlin
User

Nov 4, 2009, 4:14 PM

Post #10 of 13 (11217 views)
Shortcut
Re: [monscine] ORP? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Bro Handy,

Wow, sounds really exciting. Smile Pls do start a thread detailing your data collection and observations! I'll definitely be a faithful follower of a thread like that. Tongue It's really interesting because we've been talking about Biotope in this forum. IMHO, ozone would also act in a similar manner. Of course, there are inherent risks with zone. However, I think if it's properly installed and maintained, it's a very powerful tool. Coupled with the ORP measurements, it could be an even better real-time system to monitor our pond health.

Here's wishing you an enjoyable new step in this wonderful hobby! Smile

Cheers!
Raistlin

monscine
Koi Kichi

Nov 13, 2009, 3:07 AM

Post #11 of 13 (10912 views)
Shortcut

Hi Raistlin,

I've installed the device yesterday and plugged the ozonizer unit behind the device. After I lured down the sensor onto my pond, below was the first reading of the ORP meter :

What does it mean? According to the reading meaning before, the reading of 118 means that my pond water was this :
<120mv : The water is very polluted. The pond filtration and aeration has not kept up with the organic load. CrazyCrazyCrazy

But then, after the ozonizer work on about 18 hours with one time feeding, the reading became different as shown below :

So now my water condition is in the range of this :
200-300mv : The water is relative clean. The pond filtration and aeration are keeping up with the organic load. AngelicAngelicAngelic

Other differences that I saw is that the CLARITY of the water become increasing!!! WinkWinkWink

That's all for now. I would observe and check another parameters that I forget to test before running this device PiratePirate

Cheers,

raistlin
User

Nov 13, 2009, 5:03 PM

Post #12 of 13 (10866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [monscine] ORP? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Bro Handy,

Thanks for sharing this! Looks like a very exciting time for u. Wink Can I also request you take some pics of your pond (water?) and maybe describe what you observe both in the pond and in the behaviour of your koi. Much appreciated!

Best Regards,
Raistlin

tradefischer
New User

Jan 25, 2010, 9:22 AM

Post #13 of 13 (10383 views)
Shortcut

it can help to control the ozone level when you use ozone generator.

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com