Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Water Quality:
Oily film on the surface of the pond water.

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cookcpu
User

May 17, 2010, 9:30 AM

Post #1 of 39 (10527 views)
Shortcut
Oily film on the surface of the pond water. Can't Post

This morning I have some oily film floating on the surface of the pond water. I have scoop it up but it still appear. I wonder where does it come from. I check the return pump but all seen alright without any trace of oil leaking. Now the koi seem to stay away from this patch of water.[/img][/img]

DavidSoon
Veteran

May 17, 2010, 9:39 AM

Post #2 of 39 (10520 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cookcpu] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Brother William Smile

This oil film is not part of the water column , and likely to have some leakage somewhere that might have seeped into your filteration chambers ??
I would normally advise you to open up all the filteration covers for a start to ensure the oil is not contained in the filteration chambers .
If you have a over-flow skimmer , use your over flow skimmer to skim out this oil surface while you try to check for source of origin .
It can also be from one of your hi-blows your hi-blow , especially if you're using compressor pump for air .....

Hope this help ..

David

cookcpu
User

May 17, 2010, 9:47 AM

Post #3 of 39 (10515 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavidSoon] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Bro David. I will do it. Didn't know air pump can leak oil into the pond. Smile

DavidSoon
Veteran

May 17, 2010, 10:23 AM

Post #4 of 39 (10503 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cookcpu] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Brother William ,

There's 2 type of air-compressor which we can use , one that's running with lub-oil and metal vane / blade , while the other is dry air-compressor which runs on carbon vane/blade .
The dry air compressor normally would not have such problem , but more costly and the carbon blades wear out very easily , while the oil-compressor can last much longer , but often the oil-seal gives way easily and can have oil leak , and the leaked lubricant can be blown out together with the air-outlets ....

Just my 2 cents ...Tongue

david

cookcpu
User

May 17, 2010, 10:48 AM

Post #5 of 39 (10487 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavidSoon] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bro David thank you, if the air pump is leaking oil does it still work or will it make a lot of noise.

The oil patch located at one corner where there is only a HI-Blow 20 there. I have check the filter chamber but there is no sign of oil on the surface.

khongseong
Novice

May 17, 2010, 10:56 AM

Post #6 of 39 (10483 views)
Shortcut

I have experienced something like this before. Maybe you should check the water pump again. Good luck.

cookcpu
User

May 17, 2010, 11:00 AM

Post #7 of 39 (10479 views)
Shortcut
Re: [khongseong] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you. I will do that. What puzzle me is there is no sign of oil leakage from the water pump then I could be wrong as this is the first time I encounter this problem.

khongseong
Novice

May 17, 2010, 11:38 AM

Post #8 of 39 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Firstly I found the smelly oil film then notice the Tsunami water pump turned weak. Can't really see from the appearance of the pump.

cookcpu
User

May 17, 2010, 11:40 AM

Post #9 of 39 (10455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [khongseong] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh....thank you....I will check on the return pipe of each water pump and see any sign of weakness in the return.

cookcpu
User

May 18, 2010, 12:06 PM

Post #10 of 39 (10371 views)
Shortcut

I ask Max koi farm helper to come over to help me locate the leak. They say it is fish spawning rather than oil. They vacuum the surface of the water and now it look clear. Let hope by tomorrow morning, it stay that way. Smile

cookcpu
User

May 20, 2010, 6:43 AM

Post #11 of 39 (10272 views)
Shortcut

While doing water change on the filter, one of the dead koi (INC Grow Out Sanke) float out of the culvert. Now I found oil trace on the surface.

I think I really need to hunt down the leaking pump or air pump.UnsurePirate

larz1
Veteran

May 20, 2010, 3:44 PM

Post #12 of 39 (10237 views)
Shortcut

What type of pump are you running? Very few air pumps used in Koi ponds use Oil of any type, but many submersible pumps use Mineral Oil as an insulator/coolant in the motor housing. Some of them are notorious for developing slow seepage around the seals allowing oil to leak out and water to leak IN. Too often the pump will continue to run even though the motor winding are running in water and it can create electrical currents in the water.

cookcpu
User

May 20, 2010, 4:12 PM

Post #13 of 39 (10228 views)
Shortcut
Re: [larz1] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have 3 Tsurumi pump 40 2.15S and 1 new Malaysia make pump. (forgotten the name)

I have check the air pump and they didn't spew out any oil traces on the kitchen towel.

larz1
Veteran

May 20, 2010, 6:47 PM

Post #14 of 39 (10204 views)
Shortcut

I haven't heard of any problems with the tsurimi pumps but others may be able to give you feedback on that.
I would be looking closely at the other one to see if it may be the source of the problem. Koi "avoiding" an area of your pond may indicate that they are experiencing slight discomfort from electrical discharge when they stray to close and I would shut the pumps down one at a time and wait to see if the Koi behavior in that area changes.

cookcpu
User

May 21, 2010, 6:53 AM

Post #15 of 39 (10167 views)
Shortcut
Re: [larz1] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bro Larz1, thank you for the insight of what can happen if a pump goes wrong. I will try to solve this problem. I can't shut all the pump one at a times as the setup is such that I have to shut off at least 3 pump on one switch.

Maybe I will shut off the pump nearest to the problem area by disconnect the wire from the switch.

drcaseyloo
Novice

May 21, 2010, 6:11 PM

Post #16 of 39 (10149 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Just wanted to share that I had the same experience previously. The oil seal of the tsurumi pump gave way and there was a film of oil on the surface just as bro David described. It was easy to detect as the oil was contained within the chamber where the pump was located .

Casey

cookcpu
User

May 21, 2010, 6:25 PM

Post #17 of 39 (10142 views)
Shortcut
Re: [caseyloo] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bro Casey, thank you for sharing the experience. I guess there must be an internal leak in one of the pump as the pump chamber there is no sign of oil.

monscine
Koi Kichi

May 23, 2010, 8:07 AM

Post #18 of 39 (9956 views)
Shortcut

Brother William,

Is there any possibility that the oil came from fried kwetiaw container when you eating while you enjoying your kois beside the pond?? SlySlySly
Just kidding brother Wink. Just trying to give other unsuspected cause Smile

Cheers,

cookcpu
User

May 23, 2010, 12:16 PM

Post #19 of 39 (9907 views)
Shortcut
Re: [monscine] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bro Handy, this is what I thought when I first detected the oily surface. After a few days, I find a dead floating koi under the culvert and it started to float out of it when the pond water level goes down. I believe the koi have been dead for a few days as the stench was unbearable.

I had just disable a pump and a air pump that is servicing that area. I have to observe the next few days and see what happen next.

Cheers,
William

KoiAnswers
Koi Kichi

May 23, 2010, 1:23 PM

Post #20 of 39 (9895 views)
Shortcut

Bro William,
In my opinion, it must have come from your water pump. It must have leaked out from the lubrication compartment through the oil seal.

PH8
Veteran

May 23, 2010, 4:19 PM

Post #21 of 39 (9877 views)
Shortcut

Brother William, how come got koi missing for a few days you dunno one???CoolCoolCool I have a habit of counting my koi everytime I go out to my pond, and even if I don't, my Dad will!

kennywan
Novice

May 23, 2010, 4:56 PM

Post #22 of 39 (9863 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PH8] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bro William,

If the surface oil disappeared after you removed the koi carcass then is there a possibility the oil came from the koi carcass especially it's in the decomposed state and the found surface oil was smelly? I have similar experience with my aquarium and touch wood not with my pond.SmileSmileSmile. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Kenny Wan

cookcpu
User

May 23, 2010, 5:04 PM

Post #23 of 39 (9859 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PH8] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is not the first time fish die underneath the culvert. This koi have no sign of illness so I take more notice on the other koi that have red spot on this body and head and nose. Sometime koi just hide under the culvert and at times a few days just can't find them unless I use a mirror to scan underneath the culvert.Smile

I think I have to administer S1 to my pond.

cookcpu
User

May 23, 2010, 5:07 PM

Post #24 of 39 (9858 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kennywan] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bro Kenny there is a possiblity as now there is only a thin film of oil around the surface. Before that, as I have shown in the picture I posted, it keep having a big blog of oil even I skimmer it off with a bowl.

larz1
Veteran

May 24, 2010, 6:05 PM

Post #25 of 39 (9729 views)
Shortcut

I'm not familiar with the layout of your pond, but that "culvert" is a problem. I don't know its purpose, but if there is a way to prevent Koi from going inside I would do it. Fish that are sick tend to isolate themselves, and such a hiding place would be a natural for a soon to die fish to go to. Then you have rotting Koi flesh poisoning your water and the other Koi will tend to avoid that area of the pond.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com