Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Water Quality:
Rearing Koi in Fiberglass tank

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jsoon
User

Aug 21, 2002, 12:47 PM

Post #26 of 55 (78026 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Joshua Lee] Rearing Koi in Fiberglass tank [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
http://www.koikichi.com/the%20answer/intro.html

Read about the 'answer' at Waddy's Infiltration website. Impressive. So's the money, all 925 British pounds of it. Oi, how to get past the "home" minister?

Has anyone tried putting the answer in a KOI FG tank before ? I heard the answer is meant only for 10 ton pond only.

SMW1
Veteran

Aug 21, 2002, 9:13 PM

Post #27 of 55 (78012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jsoon] Rearing Koi in Fiberglass tank [In reply to] Can't Post

There are three sizes of the answer. I personally need two of the big ones for my new pond. I don;t see any reason that they can;t be in a FG tank. What sort of volume are you looking at and how fast are you goingto to pass the whole lot through your filter ?

You will also be paying too much for it if you are looking at 925.

You can get this for 795 if you shop around. I can;t advertise so you will have to drop me a message and I'll point you in the right direction.

jsoon
User

Aug 22, 2002, 5:52 AM

Post #28 of 55 (77998 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SMW1] Rearing Koi in Fiberglass tank [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm....I believed most of our pond in government flat are about 1 ton in size. Does the Answer cater for such a size. BTW, how do you fit the answer in a filter box ?

SMW1
Veteran

Aug 22, 2002, 9:31 AM

Post #29 of 55 (77989 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jsoon] Rearing Koi in Fiberglass tank [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes the 325 should be ok for a 1 tonne pond. This need to sit into a copartment all by itself. it can be mounted upright or upside down (sometimes even on its side) depending on your setup. A round chamber like a vortex is usually a good place to put it. However you need to have enough room around it in ordr for the blow back pump to work correctly.

Have a look here for specifications. http://www.evolutionaqua.com/

Stuart

micky
User

Oct 18, 2002, 8:31 AM

Post #30 of 55 (77953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eeegoh] Rearing Koi in Fiberglass tank [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Eric
I just bumped into your posting and perhaps you
can help me too.
I have just setup a 8'x8'x4' fibre-glass tank,
no problem with the filtration ..etc, just like
to know how you keep the pond bottom free of
debris. Is it possible to connect a matrix of
pipes with holes to suck up the dirt to a pump?
I put an EZ sub200 pump at the center but debris
tend to collect around the corners, of course we
can wait for the kois to sweep it around towards
the pump. I experimented by modifying the pump
inlet to connect to a 40mm pipe, then reduce to
30 mm from a T-connector, the pipeworks form a
sqaure around the bottom, then further split by T
connectors to cover the area at center but the
suction taper off very quickly away from the pump.
I am just thinking there must be a simple way to
keep the bottom clear and clean!
"dttk" has suggested pushing the debris using
powerheads towards the pump and do away with the
pipeworks, any good advice ?
Regards, Micky

SMW1
Veteran

Oct 18, 2002, 9:30 AM

Post #31 of 55 (77947 views)
Shortcut
Re: [micky] Rearing Koi in Fiberglass tank [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Micky,

That's one of the majo problems with having a pump fed rather than gravity fed filter.

The pump can not draw in the waste from all over the pond bottom unless the bottom of your pond is benched at a large angle towards the pump.

I also have this problem with my old current pond. It's a liner pond which had no benching and the filter is fed from 2 pumps in the pond. I currently use a pond vac to hover the floor of the pond every week. It only takes about 30 minutes and keeps the pond nice and clear.

Stuart

micky
User

Oct 18, 2002, 11:34 AM

Post #32 of 55 (77942 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SMW1] Rearing Koi in Fiberglass tank [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Stuart
Thank you for your contribution.
The vac part is what I am trying to avoid.
There is not much I can do with the fibre
tank and it is already done and running.
Do you think reducing the size of the pipes
from 30 mm to 20 mm, & replace the T-connectors
with nipple heads, then make the holes smaller
from 8 to 5 mm...etc. Do you think these efforts
will improve the suction?
Hope to hear from you again soon! Smile
Regards, Micky

koifun
Veteran

Oct 19, 2002, 4:41 AM

Post #33 of 55 (77917 views)
Shortcut

Micky

I have a similar FB inground pond with pump fed system. Facing the same problem , initially I used a rubber wiper to wipe the dedris at the bottom once a week to the pump surrounding to be siphoned off from there. Now with a hibrow, it seems that the debris are caused by the turbulent air bubbles to suspend in the water during feeding as the kois are moving rapidly - I believe this will help debris being sucked off by the pump constantly though still not 100% but I don't wip the bottom of the pond any more as the debris are not that significant. The botom seem crystal clear most of the times. Not sure u notice the similar observation.

RgdsSly

• "Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. - Euripides"
  • CoolSmileTongueSmile

micky
    User

Oct 19, 2002, 6:57 AM

Post #34 of 55 (77909 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [Koifun] Rearing Koi in Fiberglass tank [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Koifun
    Thanks for responding.
    You mentioned "hibrow", I supposed this is some kind of small pump generating a current to blow the debris towards the pump. I wonder if the current is too strong, won't it stress out the kois? Please tell me brand & capacity of this gadget and where to take a look, I live in Singapore. BTW, did you try out the pipe matrix way to suck out the debris?Smile
    Regards, Micky

koifun
    Veteran

Oct 19, 2002, 9:47 AM

Post #35 of 55 (77905 views)
    Shortcut

Hi, Micky

I am in singapore too. Hiblow is an air compressor similar to air pump but of higher capacity and said to be more durable. The benefit of hiblow is to ensure the water is saturated with oxygen at the same time assists the bacteria in nitrification. What I told u is the additional benefit I observed - that is helping debris to suspend in the water thereby sucked out through the pump in the circulation. As debris is constantly sucked out and being stirred to suspend, it hardly settle down at the bottom.

I am using Hiblow 40 which has a power rating of 38W - I am not sure of capacity but I know there are two more model of HB20 and HB80. U can try petmart to get reference price. Hiblow is the brand name - I think from Japan ( may be wrong - not sure).

Pipe matrix sound like crisscross pvc pipes with holes drilled on them and one end to pump inlet - just guessing! Can u enlighten if my guess was wrong?

Rgds

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

micky
    User

Oct 21, 2002, 3:36 AM

Post #36 of 55 (77880 views)
    Shortcut

Hi Koifun
    OK I now understand how this "Hiblow" works, my only concern is that the currents may stress out the kois, did you use some kind of timer device to turn it on/off or is it running all the time? Do you think turning it on for 10 mins every 2 hours is enough? I have a conern on the suspended waste, I would rather it be kept at the bottom and not be left swrilling around - any comments?

The pipe matrix was my original solution, what you described is quite exact. In theory it should work, but my installation didn't. I used 30mm pipes with 8mm holes at 80mm intervals, perhaps I should use smaller pipes, 5mm holes at 120 mm intervals, this may just increase the suction presure - will try this out when time permits. If you are interested in the outcome I can keep you posted.Smile
    Regards, Micky

koifun
    Veteran

Oct 21, 2002, 8:40 AM

Post #37 of 55 (77867 views)
    Shortcut

Hi, Micky

I do agree that initially they seems slightly stressed but soon they learn to like it by playing with the strong water current. You can see that they are happier and the water quality is visually cleaner and less sluggish.

I turn the Hiblow on for 24 hrs a day since there are more benefits to do so. I think you concern might be due to the fact yours is a glass tank and the churning of water vigorously seems stressful to both the kois and human outside the tank. That is why kois should be kept in FG so that outside/inside will not affect each other - u are happy and the kois are too.

Rgds

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

koifun
    Veteran

Oct 21, 2002, 8:52 AM

Post #38 of 55 (77864 views)
    Shortcut

Micky,

Sorry, I think I got mix up, yours is not a glass tank.

It will be good if u can share your result of pipe matrix with our friends here after some trial - that is why I think this forum is very friendly and helpful.

Rgds

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

micky
    User

Oct 21, 2002, 9:10 AM

Post #39 of 55 (77862 views)
    Shortcut

Hi Koifun
    The tank is a customised FG 8x7x4ft. I also have a concrete pond which is not doing quite well - limited by its design. When the FG tank is fully bio charged, I will move all the kois over, then give the concrete a good flush and redo all the pipe works and filter system. Its been quite fun doing it the DIY way. I have learnt not to depend on the pond contractor to much. This forum is great, I am trying to pull away though - getting a little addicted.Blush
    Thanks & regards
    Regards, Micky

mwinnig
    Novice

Apr 11, 2003, 7:47 PM

Post #40 of 55 (77748 views)
    Shortcut
    Why Fiberglass??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can anyone tell me WHY FIBERGLASS??? Here in the U.S., fish tanks are glass or plexi-glass. Ponds are usually EDPM (rubber) lined, or a new composite material. Big containers used for overstock, fish bait, etc. tend to be plastic or aluminum. We tend to use fiberglass to make things like sports cars, motor boats and the like. I know large f.g. tanks are used commercially, but not sure for what. I would think that large plastice tanks would be produced in Asia, just wondering why I hear so much about f.g.. Also, pre-formed ponds with built-in ledges are becoming quite common at pet, garden and home improvement shops as fast and easy (and fairly cheap) ways to build a small (usually under 200 gallons) pond.

Thanks!

koifun
    Veteran

Apr 12, 2003, 4:25 PM

Post #41 of 55 (77734 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [mwinnig] Why Fiberglass??? [In reply to] Can't Post

HI, mwinning

I think the main reason why FG is used for kois' pond is its hardiness especially for a relatively large dimension of a pond compared to fish tank. FG pond can be easily made to shape of your choice and relatively easy to DIY as compared to plastic which usually required to be made in a factory. Besides, FG is resistant to weathering and temperature variations and provides a water tight, smooth and easy to clean surface.

A FG pond placed inground has many advantages as follow :

1. Easier to build than a concrete pond.

2. Cheaper.

3. Can be disposed of easily when giving up the hobby - just remove instead of hacking the concrete. The FG removed may be resold to someone.

4. The outlook of the FG pond can be constructed to look like a concrete pond by using stones and tiles to camouflag the edge.

5. There is virtually no leakage problem.

Hope I am making sense to you.

Sly

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

mwinnig
    Novice

Apr 12, 2003, 6:49 PM

Post #42 of 55 (77727 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [koifun] Why Fiberglass??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, NOW I GET IT! So most of the FG ponds or tanks people are referring to are custom, in-ground, home-built installations? That makes sense now. Also, I have done a bit of F.G. work myself, and though the stuff is a bit toxic it is NOT that hard to work with. (I could see it being kind of cool to do large installs with a portable large-scale F.G. setup (spraying chopped glass) vs. hand lay-up. Any idea on approx. cost to build? EDPM is about $1US per sq. foot, or a bit over $3US per sq. meter.

Thanks again. You've certainly got me thinking!

koifun
    Veteran

Apr 13, 2003, 5:50 AM

Post #43 of 55 (77716 views)
    Shortcut

Sorry, I couldn't really pinpoint to the cost especially in different location.

I would say it is not too expensive given my location here in Singapore and I would grossly estimate it to no more than US$300 for a FG of around 8' x 4' x 3'. Hope that help.

Sly

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

cwnchong
    Koi Kichi

Apr 14, 2003, 7:31 AM

Post #44 of 55 (77691 views)
    Shortcut

Hi Mwinnig,

What Koifun meant is that FG tank is convenient, light weight and can be placed anywhere even in-ground. Most FG tank are bought either off the shelf or custom made to suit individual requirement and is not common to DIY. Currently most FG tank are factory made. It will be very adventurous to DIY a tank. Even custom made tank are not made in situ, they are precasted prior to delivery. The reason for this is probably due to the need of an autoclave or curing house. The handling of the raw material is also another hazardous issue.

mwinnig
    Novice

Apr 15, 2003, 12:46 AM

Post #45 of 55 (77666 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [cwnchong] Why Fiberglass??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to you both for the info.. That's why I was a bit puzzled. You can buy a 192 gallon kidney-shaped molded plastic pond with one ledge (total about 2' deep for $74US at Home Depot in the US, (or for about double that a high-rent district pet shop). They do great things here with plastics, and I have never seen a pre-formed f.g. pond or tank setup for sale. I did, however, see a nice 30 gallon cube tank with glass cover and light for $129 on a really cool $169 (all USD) stand. It would be a nice place to grow some baby koi.

Novice

Dec 2, 2003, 3:39 AM

Post #46 of 55 (77138 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [tstang] Rearing Koi in Fiberglass tank [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I am new to this forum and have been following and reading all the threads that has been posted. Very informative and one of the best site ever i would say. Kudos to the people giving their valuable inputs.

This inputs has surely given me some hope that I too can have my own KOI's too. As such I am interested to find out the location and contact no of the person you mentioned here for a FG tank. Like you said it would be good for a start-up koi hobbist like me.

Thanks.

Siva

alk12
    Novice

Nov 16, 2005, 9:58 AM

Post #47 of 55 (70450 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [123456] Rearing Koi in Fiberglass tank [In reply to] Can't Post

hi..

i am new to this whole koi things...i keep my koi in the fiberglass tank (1.5 x 2 M)...and only have 6 koi at the moment..i'm only starting this hobby for 1 month...i use 4 chamber filter, the first one i use cotton, second one i use brush, third one i use bio ball and the last chamber i use ziolite...in this 2 - 3 days my water become greenny, not clear...my question is :
    - what do you guys think about my filter??...am i using a right media ??...
    - why my water is green, is it because of algae?...if yes, how do i overcome this problem?
    - do you guys ever heard og biolite G ??can i use it ??...

please help me ...thank you

koiguyoz
    Koi Kichi

Nov 16, 2005, 10:22 AM

Post #48 of 55 (70448 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [alk12] Rearing Koi in Fiberglass tank [In reply to] Can't Post

alk12 your tank is experiencing someting close to the "new pond syndrome" where the filter hasnt grown enough good bacteria as yet to consume the wastes put out by the kois.

Physically we don't know how large the filter is. Can you give us an idea by measuring it by length, width and height?

The water is green because of floating phytoplanktonic algae. The algae is a plant. The plant will give off oxygen when it receives sunlight, but will release carbon dioxide during the shadier and night time parts of the day.

I would recommend:
    *Cleaning all media in tank or aged water only.
    *Cleaning the cotton and brush gently for the first few months (a squeeze to remove loose dirt is enough, you dont need the media super clean).
    *A water change of 10% of tank water every week until the water clears, then around every 2-4 weeks thereafter.
    *Increasing aeration through the use of a large air pump, DIY venturi etc.

alk12
    Novice

Nov 17, 2005, 8:28 AM

Post #49 of 55 (70425 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [koiguyoz] Rearing Koi in Fiberglass tank [In reply to] Can't Post

about the measurement of my filter, i use a cylinder with diameter 75cm and depth 1m...and my fiberglass tank measurement is 1.20m (width) x 2 m (lenght) x 1 m (depth)...do you think it's enough??...and can you show me how to calculate it ??..

thank you for your response

alk12
    Novice

Feb 6, 2006, 10:47 AM

Post #50 of 55 (69638 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [koiguyoz] Rearing Koi in Fiberglass tank [In reply to] Can't Post

hi..

i am just wandering, if i keep my koi in fiber glass tank, can the koi grow big??...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
    Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
    No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
    For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com