Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Water Quality:
Rearing Koi in Fiberglass tank

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

rickyer8
Novice

Jul 13, 2001, 8:37 PM

Post #1 of 55 (161656 views)
Shortcut
Rearing Koi in Fiberglass tank Can't Post

I hereby starting a forum on Koi keeper who rear their fish in fiberglass tank. I have been in this forum for only few days and most of the Koi keeper has pond for Koi. But I only have fiberglass tank to keep my Koi.Does the problem for rearing Koi in pond and tank the same? I need more discussion on problem encountered rearing Koi in fiberglass tank. Coz I need more advice myself.Thank.

tstang
User

Jul 13, 2001, 9:30 PM

Post #2 of 55 (161579 views)
Shortcut
Rearing Koi in Fiberglass tank [In reply to] Can't Post

I personally do not think you need a new forum for fiberglass tank than pond. I may agree there may be different in size but the basic concept is the same.

In fiberglass, it may be harder to maintaine the pH compare to concrete pond, but this can be rectify by just using oyster/coral chips to buffer it.

The main point here is not to over stock your tank/pond with koi and have the adequate size for your koi. Another thing i notice is the filtration system for most fiber tank is too small for the tank.

As i pointed before, just follow the basic concept for quality water condition and it's the same.

"Elimination of toxic must be greater than the koi discharge, to maintain quality water"

Mark
Veteran

Jul 14, 2001, 1:08 AM

Post #3 of 55 (161579 views)
Shortcut

Hi rickyer8

Lands in Singapore are costly and many of us live in high rise buildings. In view of this, many hobbyists rear their koi in fiberglass tank.

We will try our best to help if you have questions.

rickyer8
Novice

Jul 14, 2001, 9:04 PM

Post #4 of 55 (161579 views)
Shortcut

Thank you Mark and Tstang.

tstang
User

Jul 16, 2001, 10:14 AM

Post #5 of 55 (161579 views)
Shortcut

Hi Rick & Mark,

Sorry, I do not mean it this way. I'm not trying to say koi must be rear in the pond. What i'm trying to get the message over is that by rearing in fiber tank does not denote it's not as good or even better than in concrete pond. Just as the basic concept is the same.

We all are koi lovers, and this is our common goals. To rear and enjoy our lovely koi.

rickyer8
Novice

Jul 16, 2001, 6:37 PM

Post #6 of 55 (161579 views)
Shortcut

Hi Mark,

What is the best temperature for rearing KOI?
I am currently keeping the tank water temp at 28 Degree Celsus.Is it alrigkt? What is the PH of the water for KOI? Will putting water floating plants in the tank benificial to the KOI? Please advice. Thanks.

Mark
Veteran

Jul 16, 2001, 9:52 PM

Post #7 of 55 (161579 views)
Shortcut

My friend
Where do you live? Do you have 4 seasons in your country?

In countries like Singapore and Malaysia, temperature is not a problem. I only use 28C to 33C when treating sick koi. Although koi are hardy, its best to have them in a constantly maintained temperature at a pH of betw 7 to 9.

Some of these floating plants are loved by koi. Roots may gets in the way and your pump may be all choked up. Best to keep the hobby simple.

Good luck.

rickyer8
Novice

Jul 19, 2001, 11:00 PM

Post #8 of 55 (161579 views)
Shortcut

Hi Mark

What is biological filter? Is having water plants in the tank act as some sort of filter for Nitrates? Why afraid of water plants root getting choked in the water pump? Please advice.

Khoobg
Webmaster

Jul 25, 2001, 4:22 AM

Post #9 of 55 (161582 views)
Shortcut

Pictures by Mr. Eric Lim,

Eric Lim
User

Jul 25, 2001, 6:13 AM

Post #10 of 55 (161579 views)
Shortcut

Hi! rickyer8,

Let me share with you some of my in-door koi keeping experiences.
I'd been keeping in-door koi for 13yrs. The above 4 photos are my present collection. It's a 1.8tons (including 40% of filtration) tank. Smile

Mr. tstang was wrong to say there's not much differences in In or Out-door Keeping. Let me share with all some tips;

1. Never keep yellow colour (Yamabuki, Kigoi) = Always fade fastest. Blue - also fade (Shusui,Asagi).

2. Never keep Matsuba type (pine-cone) - Kin/Gin/Hariwake Matsuba, Goshiki, Koromo, Asagi, Aka/Ki Matsuba, Kujaku, etc = Always fade.

3. Koi lustre/ sheen will lost in 1 to 3 months time. Hikarimono types the fastest. Of all the shining types - the best to keep is Platinum Ogon of Normal/Mirror/Leather Doitsu types. Silver will be pure without orange dots. Out-door common problem.

4. If bloodlines are good, fade lesser or slower. Applies to all types. Kinginrin = not a problem. The snort (mouth) of indoor koi tends to be whiter than outdoor.

4. Best to keep male koi. Female tends to go pot-belly. No depth/ space for exercise.

5. Be prepare for slow growth. If kept too many like me - get `bonsai' koi. (Actually I prefer this, don't eat me bankrupt). Wink

6. Chaigoi, Soragoi & Ochiba-shigure are the best types to keep - don't change much.

7. Gosanke are the most difficult to keep - most likely to lose out. Don't buy at 10 to 15cm. Buy above 15cm = more stable. Better if at 20cm.

8. Sumi is hard to maintain - must use coral chips (last compartment in small amount) & strong aeration. I'm using two Hi-Blow pumps.
FG tank pH can crash easily - must buffer with coral chips, etc. I'd ever experience pH at 4.5 & < the chart reading.

I'd paid alot of school fee to learn these. Cull off many. Presently, I've a out-door FG tank where I put my yellow, matsuba, Gosanke types = all are going well. But once put in-door = sob!
Well, at least now I got room to play. Those you see in photos are NOT from the outdoor tank. All have been in it,> two months, some years.

FYI. Pls. feel free to comments & share experiences.
Cheers. Smile

Rdgs,
Eric Lim

(This post was edited by Eric Lim on Dec 7, 2002, 9:00 AM)

welson
Novice

Jul 25, 2001, 8:24 AM

Post #11 of 55 (161579 views)
Shortcut

Hi

Eric missed out a photo that showed a mattress ontop of his tank for his bed. Just joking.

I witnessed Eric collection and the way he maintain his tank. Man, we need to learn from him.

RG

dttk
Veteran

Jul 25, 2001, 7:15 PM

Post #12 of 55 (161579 views)
Shortcut

Hi Eric, nice pictures. Seems like you keep your tank clean and water is clear. Is the water inlet to filter via some sort of bottom drain or a submerged pump in the tank? What is your water pump output? Smile

rickyer8
Novice

Jul 25, 2001, 8:08 PM

Post #13 of 55 (161582 views)
Shortcut

Hi Eric Lim

Glad to hear from an expert.May I know how big is your FG tank? And is it a custom made? Where and how much you have paid for it? what do you put in the filter tank? Sorry for asking so many questions. Actually, I have lots of questions to ask but didn't want to scarce you off.

Eric Lim
User

Jul 26, 2001, 7:02 AM

Post #14 of 55 (161579 views)
Shortcut

Hi! To all,

Hey! Welson, see you'd hop over from Cyberfins = to & from, that's good. Smile
So!, where is No. 10 Ganges Aq. now? Pls. email me info. Thanks.

Hi! Dr. dttk, to your;
Q1. = the inlet is by gravity means of 3ins. dia. pipe. Must try not to use pump to feed in to filter - this way the wastes are broken up & very hard to settle down.

Q2. = As FG tank are small capacity, I make use of this advantage to use Ehiem pumps x 2pcs. of 2,400 litres/hr. in total cap. Had serviced me for > 10yrs. & never fail once.
Unlike centrifugal submerged pump which use mechanical seal to seal the motor (life-span aver. is 2-3yrs), this design is such that it use electro-magnetic field to move the impeller, thus the electrical coil is never in contact with water as there is no wear & tear unlike in the mechanical seal.

Hi! rickyer8 - Oh! many questions. Join a koi club lah! Learn faster if you can find & follow a senior experience member.
Sometimes the best way to learn is by your own experiences & mistakes = always will remember for life. (Pay to Learn) Wink

Tank size = main tank is 6ftx5ftx1.5ft of water. Filter is another 40% of above.

Made = yes, is customized.

Where = FG maker closed already. How much? = S$2,000 @ yr. 1991 price. Now can never get at this price man!!!

Filter material = 1st. Knock out comp. - NIL, 2nd comp. - brushes as mechanical filteration. 3rd - pumps chamber x 2pcs, pumping up to overhead bio. filters.
Overhead 1st & 2nd comp. - fishing net, 3rd. - cockle shells. Drop down back to tank.

Aeration - 2 Hi-blow air pumps servicing air enough for 20pcs of large size air stones (2ins. dia).

Standby emergency units - Shiruba AC/DC K10000 model (@S$60)x 3 pcs.

Hope I'd answered your enquiries. Cheers & happy koi hunting.

Rdgs,
Eric Lim

rickyer8
Novice

Jul 26, 2001, 5:24 PM

Post #15 of 55 (161579 views)
Shortcut

Hi Eric Lim

You have keep quality stocking of Koi. The Kohaku are very nice as well as Tancho. They are about 20-25cm,right? Can you tell me where did you buy these beautiful Kois?

dttk
Veteran

Jul 26, 2001, 6:21 PM

Post #16 of 55 (161579 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Eric.

Joshua Lee
User

Jul 27, 2001, 9:31 PM

Post #17 of 55 (161579 views)
Shortcut

Superb koi, Eric! This proves what we suspected all along - tender loving care and good water will raise quality koi whether indoor or outdoor!

By the way, to answer Rickyer8's query, water plants are a good absorber of nitrates but tend to be messy because most Koi will eat up the roots or munch on the leaves. This will leave small pieces of broken leaves/roots which get sucked into the pump and clog it up. I used to have lots of water hyacinths, water lilies, etc but gave them up as it was too much trouble cleaning up the pump. Now life is much easier and I can spend more time admiring the lovely fish.

Best regards
[biggrin]

rickyer8
Novice

Jul 27, 2001, 11:40 PM

Post #18 of 55 (161579 views)
Shortcut

Hi Joshua,

I did not put water plants in my FG tank. Since water plants can absorb nitrates, I have put them in an improvished filter by using sterofoam box. The water pump water from the FG tank to this box with water plants in it and water will then flow down to another box. I have separate the box below into chambers with matting,charcoals, ceramic rings and cotton mats.Will the plants in the first box acts as a filter for nitrates? The problem I am facing now is that the wastes from the KOI cannot be effectively pump up to filter. The wastes alway left on the bottom of the FG tank and I have to clear them up to prevent high ammonia level. Please advice on how to resove this problem so as to save the effort of clear wastes.

Joshua Lee
User

Jul 28, 2001, 10:09 PM

Post #19 of 55 (161579 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ryker88

Looks like you got your plants at the first stage of your filter. I think plants should be placed at the last stage of the filtering system, after the first two stages:

I) 1st stage - mechanical filter (settlement chamber or brushes or filter mats places perpendicular to the flow of water)

ii) 2nd stage - biological filter (consisting of filter mats or other suitable media placed the same direction as the flow of water - acts as a breeding ground for good aerobic bacteria to covert ammonia/nitrites to nitrates). Your carbon can be here as well.

The rationale of putting plants last is to: i) Let the plants eat up the nitrates produced by the biological filter at the second stage.

ii) The water will be cleanest at this stage as the heavy wastes would have been trapped at the first stage (mechanical filter). So this won't clog up the roots of your plants with wastes which may be messy.

As for the wastes at the bottom of the fibre glass tank I guess you could probably suck them out using a wet/dry vacuum cleaner or one of those manually operated ones if you don't have a bottom drain.

Hope this makes sense. I am still learning the ropes of this wonderful pastime.

Have fun and best regards
[biggrin]

Josh

tstang
User

Jul 29, 2001, 11:47 PM

Post #20 of 55 (161579 views)
Shortcut

Hi Eric and co,

looks like i've been missing all the fun here...Nice koi...really nice...the water is really good...

Regarding the FG tank, i know someone who can do the same thing, customised FG with build in filter ( bottom draine ) cheaper than RM 2500 for the same FG size. It's located in Malaysia -KL...It's quite good as everything is build in....Good for start-up koi hobbist...Do not need to crack their heads on calculation & stuff..

Last few days ago i, i read about this filtration system, so called "the Answer". It's very interesting and i bet it'll change the filtration system design. It's capable of filter off partical as small as 100 micron in size and can be attach to current vortex system.

I personally think with this system, we can say goodbye to brushes and japanese netting....All we need is Bio-ceramic with the largest surface area for Bio-filter, thus reducing the physical size of the filtration system.

ie.Filter chamber consists of

1.Vortex/Sedament Chamber with "the Answer" (mechanical)
2.Bio-Filter

That's all...it's that simple..

Joshua Lee
User

Jul 30, 2001, 7:54 AM

Post #21 of 55 (161579 views)
Shortcut

http://www.koikichi.com/the%20answer/intro.html

Read about the 'answer' at Waddy's Infiltration website. Impressive. So's the money, all 925 British pounds of it. Oi, how to get past the "home" minister?

tstang
User

Aug 2, 2001, 12:54 AM

Post #22 of 55 (161579 views)
Shortcut

Yup...understood..

."home" ministry very hard to get approval.....

but...solve all problems....

think long term....

eeegoh
Novice

Aug 7, 2002, 11:03 AM

Post #23 of 55 (161512 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Eric Lim] Rearing Koi in Fiberglass tank [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Eric,

I have been looking for a reliable and economical AC/DC unit for some time. Please kindly advise where you buy your Shiruba AC/DC air pumps.

Thank you N Regards,

Patrick Goh

Eric Lim
User

Aug 8, 2002, 3:42 AM

Post #24 of 55 (161497 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eeegoh] Rearing Koi in Fiberglass tank [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! patrick,

You still can get the Shiruba K10000 AC/DC air pump at Rainbow Aquarium. Cost around $60 - 80.
It's using only alkali D size batteries x 4 pcs.
I prefer alkali batteries as it can last >2yrs.

If not - nearby Petmart also selling AC/DC pumps, different model, comes with a dry rechargable battery. This type after 1.5yrs. of usage, if you test it to run = battery only can run 20mins & then die off.

That's why I prefer the alkali batteries.Most of the time, I replaced the alkali batteries not because no strength, but because after 2-3yrs. - $ is well spent lah! Still can give for your kid's portable Hifi usage.
No wastage. Wah lau! Fully Maximise....Crazy
Also scare the battery leak from inside & corrode the pump contact points.

If you are looking for rechargable dry battery - go to Sim Lim Tower (not Square) basement. There is a shop near the escalator - selling all kinds of batteries. You name it - he got it. Tongue

Rdgs,
Eric Lim

(This post was edited by Eric Lim on Aug 8, 2002, 3:45 AM)

eeegoh
Novice

Aug 8, 2002, 6:19 PM

Post #25 of 55 (161471 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Eric Lim] Rearing Koi in Fiberglass tank [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for your advise. I shall go to rainbow and petmart

to look for the AC/DC air pump.

Thanks N Rgds.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com