Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Water Quality:
Safe way to bring ph down?

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TonyG
User

Dec 21, 2001, 12:56 AM

Post #26 of 34 (38336 views)
Shortcut
Safe way to bring ph down? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Tazul

Welcome back, hope you enjoy your holiday.

How is the water parameter, please post the actual reading. If the filter shows signs of maturing, this is what i will do, i will change 80 ~ 90% of the water (others may be against it but this is exactly what i will do) and will monitor from there. The greenish this is the pond is algae and it looks like it blooms there . This maybe due to the nitrate which 'fertilize' the algae which is the end product of the whole cycle. Some says that clay will help to remove the algae, but in your case, i will advise not to.

As for the specks of black spots on your kois, i read that it is because of the 'poor' water quality. It will slowly disappear if you get the water in control.

Regards

SMW1
Veteran

Dec 21, 2001, 12:59 AM

Post #27 of 34 (38336 views)
Shortcut

Hi Tazul,

When adding salt. The easiest way to work out how much to add is this simple equation:

1000 litres of water weighs 1000kg.

So I'm not sure how much water you have in your pond. Lets say its 10,000 litres. To make a 0.1% salt resolution, you need to add 10kg of salt (I know it sounds allot, but its right trust me).

0.1% of salt will prevent nitrate poisioning.
However if you say you now have black spots on the koi it may be worth increasing this to 0.3% which will be 30kg of salt.

To add the salt you should just spinkle it over the surface, make sure you get all of the pond. Adding 30kg of salt in one shot will stress your fish, you need to introduce it gradually. Add about 2kg every 2 hours. Over the weekend will be best (unless you are around during weekdays).

You may want to net one of your fish for closer examination of the black spots.
They may be ancor worms. Just make sure that the spots do not have a tail poking out.
apart from that the 0.3% salt should get rid of most parasites.

Unless its a case of life or death, you should never change more than 50% of the water at any one time. Sorry to disagree Tony [biggrin].

Don't worry too much about your green water for now, the bio filter takes about 3 -4 week to fully mature (sometimes longer, depending on the weather). The more important is getting your water down to the relevant levels.

Also, can you post some information about your filter set up, as we may be able to suggest some minor adjustments that will help you out a great deal.

I hope this helps.

Stuart

(This post was edited by SMW1 on Aug 12, 2002, 9:00 AM)

Tazul Adzhar Ishak
Deleted

Dec 22, 2001, 6:43 PM

Post #28 of 34 (38335 views)
Shortcut

Hi SMW1

I have 5 chambers,
1st with mid. size 40 brushes
2nd with 5 kgs of coral under 2 layers of coarse blue (local) matting
3rd with 5 layers of fine white matting
4th with 600 bio balls (80% wet)
5th with pump + 2 kgs of carbons + 3 mid. size yam trees
I also have 18 in height waterfall and fountain for oxygenation..Pump run with timer..15 mins stopped 60 mins pumping round the clock.

Today is raining at my place cant take any reading.. pond is about 2000 ltrs..will add salts @ 6kgs to 0.3% (confirmed)..will try to catch the fish to inspect as suggested..

rgds

sauwen
New User

Dec 23, 2001, 2:07 PM

Post #29 of 34 (38336 views)
Shortcut

Hi there, once il have a problem with high ph the solution is esey you must areate te water the mutch air you bring in to your water the lower the ph go. after il started a triklefilter my problem was over greetings frans from belgium.

SMW1
Veteran

Dec 25, 2001, 2:24 AM

Post #30 of 34 (38336 views)
Shortcut

Hi Tazul,

You filter sounds great. You should have no problem keeping the Water parameters up to scratch once it kicks in.

Salt level sound goos as well. Is there any reason you have a stop start process on your pump ?. If its to save you money. Then it may not be worth it.

It works the same as a light in your house. It cost you more money to turn the light on and off twice in 5 mins than it does to keep it on for 15.

It may be worth you taking your meter readings to see how much you are saving. A pump does not use much electricity.

Or is there another reason ?

Happy Christmas and New year.

Hi Sauwen,
The Trickle tower really works against Amonia and Nitrates, so your paramerters should be very pleasing to the koi.

The Fight against high PH is usually a smaller problem than it seems. Oyster shells & baking soda are you best bet to win the fight although some people use coral, which in the long run bad some bad side effects.

Stuart

Tazul Adzhar Ishak
Deleted

Dec 27, 2001, 3:18 PM

Post #31 of 34 (38333 views)
Shortcut

Hi experts

thanks for advise on pump..actually no reasons for that..will remove timer.

today water parameters
ph - 8.4
ammonia - 0.5
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 0

increase in ammonia i believe.. have stopped feeding for two days already
cought few kois found fish lice..

how long to keep 0.3% of salts in the pond..when to change the water 30 - 50%...
advise pls.

rgds

SMW1
Veteran

Dec 28, 2001, 1:58 AM

Post #32 of 34 (38334 views)
Shortcut

You should not keeep you water at 0.3% for more than 4 weeks.
As well as killing parasites in your pond, salt also enhances the koi's mucus production glands. If these glands are overactive for too long this is one of the causes of cloud eye.

As soon as you see the parasites dying off then I would suggest a couple of 30% - 40% water changes over a weekend. This should then bring thae water down to around the 0.1% salt solution which you can keep for as long as you like.

Stuart

Tazul Adzhar Ishak
Deleted

Dec 29, 2001, 7:09 AM

Post #33 of 34 (38333 views)
Shortcut

Hi SMW1,

Thanks for advised..water start to clear..
can see them swimming now.. will do water change as suggested..

rgds

SMW1
Veteran

Jan 1, 2002, 1:57 AM

Post #34 of 34 (38334 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I'm happy to hear your water is clearing. Glad I could be of help.

Stuart

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com