Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Water Quality:
mosquitoes - how to rid them??

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jsoon
User

Aug 21, 2002, 12:41 PM

Post #26 of 68 (73456 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Koifun] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Basic chemical weapons...have anyone experimented with snails ? Hear from a Koi dealer that it will eat up those eggs before they hatched.

koifun
Veteran

Aug 21, 2002, 4:45 PM

Post #27 of 68 (73452 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jsoon] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

I seem to have seen some aquarium shops selling snail killer in different brands. As I am not bordered by snail, I do not pay much attention. If the kois were to eat up all the eggs before the snails are hatched, then it shouldn't be a problem right?Sly

Rgds.

• "Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. - Euripides"
  • CoolSmileTongueSmile

Deb H.
    New User

Aug 24, 2002, 5:13 AM

Post #28 of 68 (73442 views)
    Shortcut

Hello from NY!

According to another Koi forum (Water Gardening Magazine's) a product sold here in the US, called a "mosquito dunk" (or mosquito donut) is the thing to use. It is inexpensive (one place charged 20 for $20) and harmless to frogs, fish and pets (one woman's puppies ate some before she put them in the pond. They had did not get sick at all and are now mosquito free.)

It is a biological control, not a chemical control and in wide use here now that the West Nile Virus is spreading across the US.

When put in ponds, they are supposed to be anchored so they will not float, but I would put them in the filter box then they Koi could not get to them.

See if you can find them in stores that sell plants or home improvement items.

koifun
    Veteran

Aug 24, 2002, 9:02 AM

Post #29 of 68 (73438 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [Deb H.] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi friend of NY, welcome to this forum !!Sly

It sounds like something good for the pond owners who are annoyed by the mosquitos problem since it is harmless to kois and most animals. The price also seems reasonable provided the dossage is not that large for mega pond and frequency of replenishmet in not that high. It is definitely worth a trial if any one can find this product and post it in the forum on the brand name, price and where to get.

By the way , can you provide the website of the Water Gardening Magazine for us to check on the particulars. Tks and regards.

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

Deb H.
    New User

Aug 24, 2002, 3:34 PM

Post #30 of 68 (73430 views)
    Shortcut

Hi, Koifun! Thankyou for the warm welcome.

Here is the website for Water Gardens magazine:
    http://www.watergardens.com

WARNING!!! They have a terrific forum subsite. The forum titles here are:
    Pond Chat - all kinds of pond chat & photos
    Party Line - socializing for ponders
    Pond & People Gallery - the name says it all
    Aquatic Plant Exchange - Plant sharing (one should be aware of your states/countries plant import restrictions so you don't accidentally get in trouble with the authorities if they track your shipment)

Now you will be spending all your free time on the internet!
    Sly

I've also researched the net for inexpensive mosquito dunks and find that they are not as cheap as I quoted. I've checked around (including Ebay) and find that mastersons.net will sell 20 for $US 29.99 ($1.50 each.)

On online store, www.daydreamergardens.com, had the following information on the dunks:

Bacillus thuringiensis (BT). One dunk provides protection for 100 square feet of water for up to 30 days. The agent, Bacillus thuringiensis (BT), comes in the form of a floating doughnut and slowly dissolves into surrounding water. While floating, they slowly release a natural mosquito-killing biocontrol agent at the waters surface. This agent gradually settles in the water where it is eaten by mosquito larvae growing there. Alternate wetting and drying will not reduce their effectiveness. Unused dunks will remain active indefinitely.

To prevent dunks from being washed away, anchor them using a string tied through the center hole, or they can be staked in place. Each Dunk treats 100 sq. ft of water surface regardless of depth. Mosquito larvae will feed on them and will be killed continuously. They do not hurt fish, birds, or children. You can use them in birdbaths, shallow puddles of standing water and even in areas that are only sometimes covered in water. One can find both items in hardware stores and some companies do sell them via mail order.

What about mosquito fish (Gambusia affinis)? Are they an option for you? I've found baby fish and tadpoles living in my filter box before. If you wish, I can post something about these little guys. It was copied and saved for my future use.

I hope this helps. I, too have mosquitoes in my filter box and will go out and buy a package today. Take care!

RichardD
    Novice

Aug 24, 2002, 5:29 PM

Post #31 of 68 (73424 views)
    Shortcut

I am a member of that chat and it is very active and helpful there as well.

koifun
    Veteran

Aug 24, 2002, 5:46 PM

Post #32 of 68 (73424 views)
    Shortcut

Hi Deb

Thanks for your quick response.

I have visited the website http://www.thewatergardenshop.com/1332.html which shows pictures of the donuts u mentioned. With this picture, it is definitely easier to scout around in the local shops. For me, this donut may be good for keeping mosquitos away from my water plants in my big water pot which is always filled to the brim with water. I currently use a type of mosquitos control chemicals to prevent larvas. It works but it is toxic to touch - becos of its toxicity and bad smell, I have to wash my hand now and then when accidentally touch the water.

I will find out more from the other websites recommended by you when I have more time later.

Have a nice week ends. Cool

• CoolSmileTongueSmile

boonjerd
    Novice

Jan 13, 2003, 2:49 PM

Post #33 of 68 (73375 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [timmychan] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in Bangkok also a lot of mosquitoes. My contractor advise me to put air bubble into every filter chambers so that the water surface in the filter is moving and hence mosq. cannot lay eggs. I just installed it 2 days ago. Don't know the outcome yet. Any one have the experience.

PS. This is my first post here after a few months of browsing. You guys have very good and active webboard.

Boonjerd

crazoo
    User

Jan 13, 2003, 6:05 PM

Post #34 of 68 (73368 views)
    Shortcut

great site
    Smile

patrick123
    Veteran

Jan 13, 2003, 7:08 PM

Post #35 of 68 (73367 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [boonjerd] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Boonjerd,

Nice to hear from someone in Bangkok too. I'm a Singaporean currently working in Bangkok.

Do you currently have a pond? How long have you been in this hobby?

Cheers,
    Patrick

crazoo
    User

Jan 14, 2003, 7:55 AM

Post #36 of 68 (73344 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [patrick123] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

so far i dont have any problem with mosquitoes. but i guess i prefer the donut thing.. seems easy enough. Smile

boonjerd
    Novice

Jan 16, 2003, 10:38 AM

Post #37 of 68 (73318 views)
    Shortcut

Dear Patrick:

Thank for your reply. I am a very new to keeping koi or fish of any kind. My just finished koi pond is around 10 tons. I just putting in 14 koi on Dec. 30. Now the water is still cloudy. Guess, I have to wait for another few weeks.

How about yourself patrick, do you keep koi here in Thailand or Singapore. I have seen your posting here many times. If you are convenience, you can drop by my place and give me some advise.

Boonjerd

patrick123
    Veteran

Jan 16, 2003, 1:18 PM

Post #38 of 68 (73306 views)
    Shortcut

Boonjerd,

My pond is in Singapore. Where are you staying now and where do you shop for your koi?

I'm sure we can share some experience together since we both got the same hobby.

Thanks,
    Patrick

boonjerd
    Novice

Jan 20, 2003, 11:27 AM

Post #39 of 68 (73277 views)
    Shortcut

Dear Patrick:

My pond is here in Bkk., 10 min. from Don-Muang Airport. I shopped for my koi here from 2 farms in Bkk. Siam Koi and Shipmate Koi farm. As biginner I spend only around Bht. 2000.- or each of my first 2 batches of koi. My handphone no. is 01-932-6770, if you have a chance gave me a call.

Boonjerd

patrick123
    Veteran

Jan 20, 2003, 1:07 PM

Post #40 of 68 (73271 views)
    Shortcut

Boonjerd,

Your house is quite a distance from my place. I stay in Saladaeung, near Silom.

I saw a lot of advertisement from Shipmate and always wanted to go there. How are the koi there? BTW, have you been to the place near Lapow the Saki dealer? I went there once and the fish are very nice but expensive. Some of the 40cm kohaku are selling at 20k baht.

Will give you a call to chit chat later.

Cheers,
    Patrick

timmychan
    Novice

Mar 3, 2003, 10:50 AM

Post #41 of 68 (73220 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [HWONG] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

understand that dimilin is about RM1.20 per gram from cheras aquarium. (work out to RM300 per packet of 250 gram)
    i found a farm dealer who is willing to supply at much cheaper price but will only sell in minimum one carton. one cartons contains 20 packets of 250 gram per packet.

Anyone interested? i was thinking of buying one carton provided i can get at least 10 person to show interest first. you dont have to pay first but if about 10 person interested i can proceed to buy and sell to anyone interested. Price RM120 per packet of 250 gram. you collect from my office in KL golden triangle. i do make a nominal profit to cover for my time, effort and up-front money and risk can't sell the balance. then have to use the 5 kilo of dimilin as stock for next 10 years to kill off mosquitos.
    Anyone interested please e-mail your interest to me at timmychan@tm.net.my. no money needed to show interest but please be genuine so that i can proceed to purchase.
    would be good since dengue epedemic in KL / selangor now and reduce risk being fine by the authority for breeding mosquitoes.
    Let me know

HWONG
    Veteran

Mar 3, 2003, 11:53 AM

Post #42 of 68 (73215 views)
    Shortcut

Timmy, Thks for your kind offer. Yours work out to be 48 cents per gram. Cheap! I just stocked up 100GM.at Rm1.20 per gm Unimpressed The rest of you guys should take up the offer if you do not have any yet.

k c yin
    Novice

Mar 3, 2003, 3:52 PM

Post #43 of 68 (73208 views)
    Shortcut

The chemical name for DIMILIN is DIFLUBENZURON. DIMILIN is a tradename belonging to Bayer> The local appointed agent is Halex (M) S/D. It comes in a powder form of 25% active and balance inert filler. I get it from the appointed agent at RM55 per bottle of 250 gm.

RGDS,

KC YIN

mwinnig
    Novice

Apr 11, 2003, 7:39 PM

Post #44 of 68 (73121 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [johnson lee] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have tried for several years to get bats into my two bat houses, to no avail.. Not sure why.

There are MANY myths regarding these creatures, and the risk of getting rabbies is grossly exaggerated. Probably more likely to get it from many other animals in the neighborhhod than from bats, which first of all, tend to be nocturnal so the opportunities for contact are much more limited. Check out www.BatCon.org for more info..

Also, bats eat thousands of insects each nite, while Purple Martins (which have their own web site and need humans to provide homes for them) eat as many beneficial insects as mosquitoes, despite the common belief that they are great mosquitoe killers.

As for bat dung, just keep your houses away from the pond. While water may help attract them, a good pond location may not be the best place for your bat houses.

andyng
    User

Apr 12, 2003, 12:31 PM

Post #45 of 68 (73110 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [k c yin] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

kc,

Is it possible for you to furnish the telephone and if possible address. Most interested and also the dosage you use.

Andy Ng.

k c yin
    Novice

Apr 13, 2003, 4:06 PM

Post #46 of 68 (73094 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [andyng] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Andy,

The address is 59-1, Jalan 3/93, Tmn Miharja Cheras, 55200 K. Lumpur.

Tel 03-92831688.

Dosage: 1 gm. per Ton of water.

Rgds,

KC YIN

chanal
    New User

Apr 20, 2003, 6:54 PM

Post #47 of 68 (73037 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [k c yin] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder why do we have to use uv filterPirate and chemicalsMad to ge rid of mosquitoes.

The easiers solution is to put some mosquito fish Smile(aka longkang fish in Malaysia) in to the filter and the pond. These little guppy like fish will survive in very adverse condition and will eat away all the mosquito larvae.

It cost a ringgit for a bag full.Wink

chanal

KevKoi
    Koi Kichi

Apr 21, 2003, 12:15 AM

Post #48 of 68 (73032 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [chanal] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

U see, many of the koi keepers keep very heavy aeration in their filter chambers to promote bacterial growth to 'super charge' thier filters for better performance. There's so much air pumped in (using large hi-blows) that the surface of the water in the filter chamber is so turbulent it's likened to putting your fish in a washing machine - they won't survive long being tossed around all day and night.

There will however sometimes be dead spots in places in the filter where these mozzie larvae somehow or other manage to survive where no fish canCrazy.

..... hence the need to find other means of controlling pesky mosquitoes.

That said however, my very large filter (which is not super aerated) is home to a myraid of fish to control mosquitoes. I have hundreds of nice fancy tail guppies (all from probably less than 10 fish), fancy goldfish and even discus! That said again, my filter is probably bigger than many people's pond!Laugh

rsisson
    Novice

Apr 24, 2003, 10:17 PM

Post #49 of 68 (72994 views)
    Shortcut

Gambusia (AKA Mosquito fish)
    They are $27/Box of 500.

They are a HOOT for the kids. They are like tiny parania to anything that lands on the surface. I used to feed tubifect (sp?) worms. The Koi would eat chunk whole, but the Gambusia would make the water foam as they tried to tear pieces off the hunks.

In bad winters, they don't make it, but at $27/box who cares...

KevKoi
    Koi Kichi

Apr 25, 2003, 1:08 AM

Post #50 of 68 (72990 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [rsisson] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah.... the joys of being in Malaysia. Gambusia (aka mosquito fish, wild guppy and in malaysia also commonly known as 'longkang fish'- literally translates to ditch/drain fish).

This fish, commonly sold as feeders cost more like RM5 for 500 of 'em! (Roughly translates to US$1.25). Plus, there are no winters in tropical Malaysia so U'd soon get about 1000 of 'em in the pond.

Down side with these fish is disease. Many of 'em carry parasites and when you have expensive kois, the risk of getting them sick by introducing gambusia is not to be taken lightly.

kev

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
    Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
    No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
    For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com