Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Water Quality:
mosquitoes - how to rid them??

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

rsisson
Novice

Apr 25, 2003, 1:19 AM

Post #51 of 68 (64220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KevKoi] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't worry about disease TOO much, as they are breed in fl. I don't think they have had to add any new ones in years... as long as there are two left before the weekend there will be enough to ship monday... or so it seems.

adavisus
Novice

Dec 15, 2003, 1:26 PM

Post #52 of 68 (63953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmychan] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Timmychan

Please think twice before using dimilin in any pond, while it may be a very effective poison for killing mosquitoe larvae, it kills many more things for a long time in water, including dragonfly larvae

If you let dragonflies lay their eggs in your ponds, the baby dragonflies will eat all your mosquitoe larvae, very easily. Dimilin will kill the very thing that will naturally eat mosquitoes!

A flying dragonfly might eat 200 mosquitoes a day, and the larvae of dragonfly will eat ALL the aquatic larvae of mosquitoe.

If ever dimilin spreads from your pond to local streams it will kill many useful insects making the mosquitoe problem much worse, when the dimilin washes away the mosquitoes will rush in and 'explode' numbers with no natural predators to eat them

Another simple natural way to keep mosquitoes away is to find a small type of fish, very tiny, which likes eating mosquitoe larvae that can live in the same pond as your koi

Poisons, while they may seem to work very well for a time, often make a problem much worse, dimilin in even very small quantities kills many many good insects and crustaceans for a long time, making your pond, stream or lake a much poorer place

Regards, Andy
http://community.webshots.com/user/adavisus
(andys aquatic plant list :)

cwnchong
Koi Kichi

Dec 15, 2003, 2:50 PM

Post #53 of 68 (63952 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adavisus] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Andy,

I have tried a few ways to rid the mozz, but to no avail. At the moment I have a few guppies (wild low quality type) to do the job. I introduced 3 female & 2 males 6 weeks ago & the result is promising. The guppies reproduced some young ones,but unfortunately the young ones are depleting by the days & I found a couple of the young fellow in my skimmer tank.

Cheers

bayileong
User

Dec 15, 2003, 6:00 PM

Post #54 of 68 (63945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cwnchong] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, what's the common denominator for ponds that seem to attract more mosquitoes than normal? Any observation? Thanks.

HWONG
Veteran

Dec 15, 2003, 6:32 PM

Post #55 of 68 (63943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bayileong] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Generally, the most common insect that swarms a pond & esp the filters are midge. They are attracted by foul water. This is a tell tale sign that your water is dirty and has decaying matters. Some mosquitoes are also attracted to such water conditions. Other types of mosquitoes only like clean water. If you keep your water clean and aerate your filetrs well, you wont have insect problems. I have not seen Midges ever since I became the enslaved koi keeper!Unimpressed

adavisus
Novice

Dec 16, 2003, 2:56 AM

Post #56 of 68 (63936 views)
Shortcut

>>what's the common denominator for ponds that seem to attract more mosquitoes than normal?

The common denominator is a lack of natural predators.

On any permanent healthy pond there is a wide range of natural predators such as water beetles, dragonfly larvae and small fish which ruthlessly eat every small insect like mosquitoe larvae

However, with widespread use of poisons in agriculture and lawn products, many aquatic habitats are destroyed of natural species of insect. So polluted pools, temporary ponds, little puddles in the forks of trees, discarded litter like car wheels, tins and tubs that collect water long enough for mosquitoes to colonise, soon invade polluted ponds when the poisons have washed away

A healthy diverse water garden is in effect going to destroy mosquitoes in large numbers...

Regards, andy
http://community.webshots.com/user/adavisus
(andys aquatic plant list :)

bayileong
User

Dec 16, 2003, 11:30 AM

Post #57 of 68 (63920 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HWONG] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello hardworking, good one. Thanks.

bayileong
User

Dec 16, 2003, 11:35 AM

Post #58 of 68 (63918 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adavisus] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, what an interesting 'green' answer. I hope it will encourage more green solutions and stop koi people from 'dimilining' their ponds! Thank u.

BranMuffin
Veteran

Dec 16, 2003, 5:48 PM

Post #59 of 68 (63907 views)
Shortcut

Here's a simple question:

Where are you likely to see Mosquito Larvae?

Standing Water?

Moving Water?

Mosquitos do NOT like to breed in moving water and that's why you most often see mosquito larvae in puddles, standing bucket of water ..etc. But seldom see them in moving water.

Mosquitos can be erradicated with something called Mosquito Dunk .. or .. by natural predators such as "Mosquito Fish" which BTW multiplies like Rabbits! Buy a few Mosquito Fish and within just a few months you will have thousands of them!

Best Regards
Bran

A Koi Pond is never FINISHED, it's always subject to improvement.
Drives the Spouse Crazy!

cwnchong
Koi Kichi

Dec 17, 2003, 4:16 PM

Post #60 of 68 (63892 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BranMuffin] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bran,

I wouldn't consider my pond water is moving, @ 5ft/min. Our pond water movement is limited to the length & breadth of our pond. However I am very sure that the mosquitoes larvae actually came into the filter drums via the main pond. For those filter that are not fully sealed may not see the amount of mosquitoes reproduced daily because once able to fly will be flown away. I am very sure about it because all my filter drums are fully capped plus a plastic mesh with rings to form a proper seal.

There is no chance for a single mosquitoes to get into the filter drums to lay its eggs, the only way to get into the filter drums are from the pond. The amount of dead & alive mosquitoes found in the filter drums are unbelievable. I have to use maration spray ready when ever I want to open the filter drums.

Normally I don't see any mosquitoes flying around, but I can only see spider web strategically built on 1 side of the pond. This means there are few flying around, like most of us don't see them until they bite.

Recently I use local guppy (or may be is called mosquitoes eating fish). I think this fish helps. I can't confirm it now coz 2 weeks ago the town council guys spray the whole area with dangue mosquitoes chemical.

The result is what I observed so far.

Cheers

pisces222
Novice

Dec 24, 2003, 8:08 AM

Post #61 of 68 (63855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cwnchong] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a similar experience. This may be redundant to what others may have already told you... but her goes. I had a new pond last summer... with no fish in it yet. I noticed one day that the edgewater was thick with larvae. Since they take about a week to hatch, I rushed into action. I bought the reccomended number of BTI "mosquito dunk" donuts. BTI is a natural bacteria strain that is absolutely harmless to fish or anything other than mosquito larvae. In the larvae though, it multiplies and bursts their gullets. In our case, the outbreak was staggering, so I opted for the quick-treatment option: Instead of just floating them in the water, I crumbled the donuts up and sprinkled them into the edgewater. Four days later.... not a larva in sight.

robingfx
Novice

Jun 12, 2004, 4:44 AM

Post #62 of 68 (62858 views)
Shortcut

Some people have already mentioned the Mosquito Fish (Gambusia Affinis), but I have to tell you they are super efficient in eating those pesky larvae. I noticed that I had hundreds of mosquito larvae in my 200 gallon fishless pond and put about 10-15 of those mosquito fish in the pond and within an hour they had cleared ALL larvae from the pond. I take it you're from Kuala Lumpur, but for people in the US: You can get these fish for free from your local Fish and Game Store, or pick up a free bag at the Vector Control Center. If you're in LA go to: http://www.lawestvector.org/

R

_______
200US gal/800 liters outdoor concrete pond on the West side of Los Angeles, 3 koi at 8, 4 koi at 5, 3 gold fish, a bunch of mosquito fish, 4 apple snails, 5 aquatic plants in pots, 4 floating water hyacinth, a spitting frog for aeration, a 200gal/h pump, 3 chamber filter (2 spong, 1 ceramic cylinders).

samoya22
New User

Nov 11, 2005, 11:33 PM

Post #63 of 68 (56963 views)
Shortcut

This might help you get rid of those mosquitoes: http://www.getridofthings.com/getridofmosquitoes.htm

bggoh
Novice

Dec 26, 2005, 3:22 PM

Post #64 of 68 (56598 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HWONG] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I am keen to get Dimilin. Where is your location and I am in Singapore

GCSpyder
Veteran

Dec 27, 2005, 2:44 AM

Post #65 of 68 (56582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bggoh] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi bggoh,

One place to get Dimilin in Singapore is Mainland. Get the powder form only and dose at 1g/ton.

cheers..

bggoh
Novice

Dec 27, 2005, 4:53 PM

Post #66 of 68 (56547 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GCSpyder] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you.

Can I use PP instead of Dimilin?

GCSpyder
Veteran

Dec 28, 2005, 2:27 AM

Post #67 of 68 (56536 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bggoh] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi bggoh,

PP is not effective against critters with exoskeleton. dimilin acts as a chitin inhibitor.

cheers..

bggoh
Novice

Jan 23, 2006, 3:27 AM

Post #68 of 68 (56293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GCSpyder] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure
Hi,

I have done all the necessary work to get rid of the fly. However, I am still seeing it in the evening. Any other solution that can help?

Thanks in advance

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com