Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Water Quality:
mosquitoes - how to rid them??

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

timmychan
Novice

Jun 6, 2002, 2:14 PM

Post #1 of 68 (119127 views)
Shortcut
mosquitoes - how to rid them?? Can't Post

plenty of mosquitoes and larvae in my pond. Appreciate any advise on how to rid off them. Kuala Lumpur

KevKoi
Koi Kichi

Jun 6, 2002, 3:40 PM

Post #2 of 68 (119073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmychan] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

If your pond is not stagnant, you shouldn't have mosquitos. If there is a current in the water, I believe mosquito's won't survive. Besides, the fish would eat any larvae in the pond. What you likely have is midge.... they're a small insect, always swarming around the pond, sometimes in large numbers. They're harmless and won't bite you, and their larvae is the bloodworms commonly found in the filter chambers. These also make good food for the fish.

TonyG
User

Jun 7, 2002, 2:24 AM

Post #3 of 68 (119055 views)
Shortcut

Use Dimilin, proven to to be effective.

Tony

timmychan
Novice

Jun 7, 2002, 3:53 AM

Post #4 of 68 (119051 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KevKoi] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear KevKoi

sorry, not in the pond but in the covered filter chambers. water is running but lots of larvae and mosquitoes hiding in there. hundreds of newly emerged mosquitoes too

cwloo
User

Jun 7, 2002, 11:04 AM

Post #5 of 68 (119033 views)
Shortcut

use UV light .. very effective .. u can see a layar of mosquitoes on the surface of your filter. I personally did not cover the filter so can attract mosquitoes to go and lay egg .. then the UV light will just kill them. Help to reduce the mosquitoes arond your house area as well. I still remember the builder of the ponds complaint about mosquitoes problem when they dig the ponds .. its like if you stay out for 5 minutes you will sure get bite from them. With the UV on ... this problem gone ... a lot less mosquitoes now .

I think I killed more than 5,000+ mosquitoes, or more ?

SMW1
Veteran

Jun 7, 2002, 7:54 PM

Post #6 of 68 (119026 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cwloo] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

cwloo,

When you say you leave your lid off the filter, isn't it then exposed to direct sun light ?. If this is the case how do you keep your water params down ?.

cwloo
User

Jun 8, 2002, 1:59 AM

Post #7 of 68 (119019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SMW1] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

yes, I didn't cover the filter. We hv nets covering the whole pond & filter to avoid direct sun light.
Water para is still quite ok
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 25mg (still very hard to bring down, even with tt, but not a big problem)
PH 7.2

DANNY
User

Jun 10, 2002, 10:23 AM

Post #8 of 68 (119000 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cwloo...I thought UV light is harmful to human body?!! I heard from someone once put in this forum that UV light can also cause blindness if someone stare at the light even for a short moment. How do you keep you UV light to kill the mosquitoes and their eggs? Do you meant you keep the UV light on without cover? Isn't that a bit dangerious if someone (ie a child) go to touch it or look at it? Please explain. Thanks.

Danny

timmychan
Novice

Jun 10, 2002, 10:41 AM

Post #9 of 68 (118996 views)
Shortcut

My UV light is in one chamber and the other two are full of mosquitoes and larvae. I do get mosquitoes and larvae in the UV light chamber too. don't know why. they don't seems to die. also found a few lizards within the 4 chambers. they seems to be able to live there comfortable.

cwloo
User

Jun 10, 2002, 10:44 AM

Post #10 of 68 (118996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DANNY] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

no , the UV light is cover, it's only the filter is not cover.. I put the UV light inside a box which face down to the filter. Thus the blue light will attract mosquitoes to come at night and get kills later.

The UV won't cause blindness if u only look at it for a short moment, by short I mean less than few seconds. If you scare that the kids go around the UV light you can put a timmer on it and only swtich it on at night.

cwloo
User

Jun 10, 2002, 10:54 AM

Post #11 of 68 (118995 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
My UV light is in one chamber and the other two are full of mosquitoes and larvae. I do get mosquitoes and larvae in the UV light chamber too. don't know why. they don't seems to die. also found a few lizards within the 4 chambers. they seems to be able to live there comfortable.

This could mean that your UV light is near the end of lifespan. Remember if you switch on the UV for 24hrs a day it lifespan is only 6 months. Try to change the UV bulb and check the effect, dont forget to ask for UV light that kill gems .. as some of the shop sell the wrong one to you.

SMW1
Veteran

Jun 10, 2002, 12:18 PM

Post #12 of 68 (118989 views)
Shortcut

If you want to kill mosquitos with a UV light and other parasites, the min is 55W.

cwloo
User

Jun 10, 2002, 2:19 PM

Post #13 of 68 (118984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SMW1] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

oh ya, mine is 20w x 3

newgen
User

Jun 11, 2002, 5:09 AM

Post #14 of 68 (118974 views)
Shortcut

Hi all!

My opinion, i don't like to use UV, cause it's harmful to every living thing! and we have to use it very very carefully. For my choice, i won't use a UV unless there are no more chances left. I do have a UV light too, last time i use it for 24/7! everyday! although is not a really big unit(not sure the size) but it really cost alot buying that unit and for the electricity bill! and UV causes alot of problems too! like always getting brown color substance! i think it might be the "dead body" of the algea!

Thinking of Mosquitoes surviving, in the filter chambers, in the pond...is this possible? I don't think its possible is the pond is alwasy moving, water in the filter chamber is always flowing. and are they really mosquito larvers? or are they those red worms?

Regards,
John

cwloo
User

Jun 11, 2002, 6:53 AM

Post #15 of 68 (118968 views)
Shortcut
Re: [newgen] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

John,

If you DIY your own UV light it is not that expensive.. Just buy the light bulb, normal light transformer or those fluorescent light bulb kits and you are ready to go.

Yes, it's really larvers inside the filters as you can see them "swim" around the surface of the filters. I'll get some shots when I got myself a digital camera.

D2070
New User

Aug 16, 2002, 5:14 PM

Post #16 of 68 (118898 views)
Shortcut

I found in my high mosquito area...that to get rid of larva, don't have as many adults. My answer was bats. Bats eat thousands of them a night. So Has anyone tryed putting up bat boxes on their properties? Any little bit helps and I don't get bit by the adults near as much as I used to!

SMW1
Veteran

Aug 17, 2002, 11:17 AM

Post #17 of 68 (118884 views)
Shortcut
Re: [D2070] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Aren't Bat droppings toxic to koi ?

here in the UK, I have never seen a bat. So I guess it would be used by birds instead which is no good.

johnson lee
Veteran

Aug 19, 2002, 9:37 AM

Post #18 of 68 (118867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [D2070] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

In my opinion, not a good idea to have bats around the house let alone near the koi pond!

Bat bites could cause rabiesa as well as a host of other diseases. Crazy And yes, bat droppings would created a lot of mess and most likely toxic to kois!

Better not to introduce bats to the neighbourhood as it would cause a nuisance as well. There are other ways to get rid of mozzies. I have gardeb spiders to do the job and you can also plant mosquito repellent plants near your pond.

JohnsonSmile

andyng
User

Aug 19, 2002, 2:28 PM

Post #19 of 68 (118861 views)
Shortcut
Re: [johnson lee] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Spiders seems to be doing quite a good job at place. I you notice I did complain about mosquito problem sometime ago. I was told not to disturb them spiders and it seems to working. Much less not entirely wipe out.

Andy Ng.

timmychan
Novice

Aug 20, 2002, 8:28 AM

Post #20 of 68 (118841 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andyng] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

spiders are good but will not be able to totally get rid of the mosquitos.
just to re-cap:
1)My pond no mosquitoes or larvae
2)Mosquitoes and larvae in filter chambers
3)Lots of newly emerged mosquitoes in chambers - can't fly properly yet, wings not steady
4)Has UV light (20 watts) in filter chambers
5)Water flowing in pond and chambers
6)Have applied "abate" (mosquitoe larvae) insecticide into pond but can only last a week or so. After changing / topping up water for a week or so, the mosquitoes and larvae are back.
7)I believe "dimilin" will have the same effect as in "abate" in (6) above???
8)Have asked around aquirium, fish farm and hardware shop in Kuala Lumpur but can't find "dimilin". Anyone can recommend where to find??
8)Malaysia is a hot tropical country and plenty of mosquitoes. Any good long term suggestion to get rid of the mosquitoes and larvae??

Thanks and regards

HWONG
Veteran

Aug 20, 2002, 12:39 PM

Post #21 of 68 (118831 views)
Shortcut

I used Dimilin to good effect but it has to be in 2 to 3 week cycles in order to kill the emerging eggs as well. The treatment will also kill any anchor worms. Dimilin basically prevent the moulting cycle of crustaceans like invertibrates.

You can buy dimilin from Cheras Aquarium , Jln Ulu Pudu(further up from jusco maluri and landmark is the Gerakan HQ Building) at Rm 1.20 per gram. Dosinage is ~ 1 gram per 1000 gal.

Ike
Novice

Aug 20, 2002, 8:53 PM

Post #22 of 68 (118822 views)
Shortcut

Why don't you guys prevent them to lay eggs and multiply in you ponds, I myself use the preventive strike, I use 10-20 "Leuciscus Idus" (I am dutch don't know how you call this in english) Those are school fish, pretty, fast, and when musquito-proof they love them and can live weeks with only the natural food supplie -> midge-egs/larves. Another advantage is when they are big enough that they are also heron-proof

Smile Ike Smile

timmychan
Novice

Aug 21, 2002, 3:27 AM

Post #23 of 68 (118816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ike] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't do that because they will only last about 2 seconds in my pond. Other than Koi, I have lots of Malaysian river fish like red kelah, tapah, temoleh, sebarau, arowana, kalui, jelawat, patin, etc. They are predatory fish and love small fishes.

timmychan
Novice

Aug 21, 2002, 3:29 AM

Post #24 of 68 (118816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HWONG] mosquitoes - how to rid them?? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks. will drop by there

koifun
Veteran

Aug 21, 2002, 7:14 AM

Post #25 of 68 (118804 views)
Shortcut

I thought these are water mosquitos which do not bite. Most filter tanks have them which are being ignored as they are not harmful to human. Correct me if I am wrong.

In case yours are those harmful mosquitos, why don't try cover your filter tank with those fine aluminium net which only cost S$1.00 per ft run of 1 metre wide. I have tried that and is found to be effective but I didn't put it now as I think they are harmless water mosquitos .

Best regards

• "Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. - Euripides"
  • CoolSmileTongueSmile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
    Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
    No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
    For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com