Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Water Quality:
Algae Problem

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

Diablo63
New User

Aug 17, 2009, 12:47 PM

Post #1 of 13 (5394 views)
Shortcut
Algae Problem Can't Post

Dear Sifus Out There,

I have just expanded my koi pond to boost my ever increasing love for koi. My problem is my new pond has been growing brown algae at an alarming rate. My filtration chamber is about 30% of the pond size, I have mechanical and biological filters in place and also two 20 watt UV lights in place too. Just hope some sifu out there can help me with my problem. I have tried changing 30% of the water last week, the water cleared up initially but 2 days later the brown algae returned. I am at my wits end. Please help. Thanks.

ikankoiku
User

Aug 18, 2009, 12:49 AM

Post #2 of 13 (5345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Diablo63] Algae Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Bro Diablo,

For your problem to be addressed by the sifus, it is good to know some infos... How big is your pond? Maybe the UV is insufficient. What is your water parameters' reading? What is your Nitrate level? Is your pond covered? How long have your new pond being operational, as new pond syndrome can come into the picture. And lastly, a photo of your pond will be a great help.

Regards

IKK

PH8
Veteran

Aug 18, 2009, 3:30 AM

Post #3 of 13 (5333 views)
Shortcut

If you're using overhead UV lights, you might like to try switching to submerged UV lights. They're a lot more effective.

cookcpu
User

Aug 18, 2009, 4:21 AM

Post #4 of 13 (5322 views)
Shortcut

What is your pump size and turnover rate for the pond?

If I remember correctly someone had posted about his pond keep having green water, he had a few UV light, bakki shower and all the rest and the right filter size. In the end, he increase his pond turnover rate and his pond green water was solved.

As what stated by the other two poster, the more information you provided the better chance for the sifus here to help you.

Diablo63
New User

Aug 18, 2009, 6:04 AM

Post #5 of 13 (5290 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cookcpu] Algae Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Sifu,

Thanks for the prompt response all the sifus out there. My pond is only about 3 weeks old and measures 13' x 10' x 3.5' (Deep). I am using brushes in my first chamber, japanese mats in my second, biorings in my third and 2 pumps to pump water out to the pond. I also have three 4" bottom drain pipes running into my first chamber. The size of my filter chambers are 3.5' x 10' x 3.5' (Deep). I also diverted some aeration to my bio-filter chamber. 2 x 20 watt submersible UV lights in my pump chamber and lastly, I do have another pump for aeration to the pond. I used to have a small pond rearing Japanese kois and when they grew, so did my love for koi grew. I did not have the brown algae problem last time round. just wondering what I did wrong. Lastly, there has been some foams in my pond too. Really hope you sifus can help me out since I have spent my home minister's next two oversea trips into building my new pond and I am being chided every time she comes home. Just for added info, I have four 18" kois, five 12" and fourteen 6" in my pond and they are all lively and feeding well. Thanks guys for helping out. Cheers.

PH8
Veteran

Aug 18, 2009, 6:26 AM

Post #6 of 13 (5279 views)
Shortcut

Hi Diablo,

By my calculation, your total pond size inclusive of filter is 577.5 cubic feet or 16.4 tons, of which your filter is about 3.5 tons or 21.3% of total size. 2 submersible UV lights should be more than enough for this pond size. What is the output per water pump? To establish your water turnaround rate...

Your problem is the classic (and sometimes painful) New Pond Syndrome. We on this forum have learned a lot on avoiding NPS from David Soon's pond construction thread. Did you use any bacteria powder to kickstart your filter? It may be good to do so. Have you measured your water parameters? Simple colour-based test kits for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are not expensive and available at most aquarium/koi dealer shops. It would be good to get a TDO test kit too whilst you're there. Digital Ph and salinity meters are also good long term investments, cost about RM200 each.

How are your koi behaving? For most beginners, the general guideline is not to have more than 1 koi per 1 ton of water (unless you have a super filtration system which is usually not likely in the case of beginners). So in your case, you would eventually have to cut down the number to about 16. At the moment it may not be so much of an issue since they're mostly quite small, but they tend to grow big quite fast, especially if they're Japanese koi. Just something to bear in mind.

Cheers,
Paul

Ps. Stop calling us "sifus" otherwise we'll all stop answering you!!SlySlySlySly

(This post was edited by PH8 on Aug 18, 2009, 6:34 AM)

Diablo63
New User

Aug 18, 2009, 7:39 AM

Post #7 of 13 (5247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PH8] Algae Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Big Brothers,

OK, OK, no sifus then but I am definitely a small brother when it comes to koi rearing. Thanks for the valuable advice. It is definitely the NPS then coz come to think of it I never really did prepare my pond well enough. I soak my new pond for 3 days the first time around and for another 3 days the second filling before I put my fishes in. What do you think I should do now? Shall I take out my fishes and start the process all over again? By the way, what is water turnaround rate? What is the correct way to ascertain? Thanks again guys for wasting your valuable time to help me in my predicament.

cookcpu
User

Aug 18, 2009, 8:41 AM

Post #8 of 13 (5231 views)
Shortcut

My layman explanation of pond turnover rate is as follow.

If your pond is 16,000 litres and you use a single pump that is rated to have 16,000 litres per hour. It mean your turnover rate is in 1 times per hour.

If you use 2 pump of 16,000 litres per hour. It mean your turnover rate is 2 times per hour.

DavidSoon
Veteran

Aug 18, 2009, 10:16 AM

Post #9 of 13 (5215 views)
Shortcut

Hi Brother SmileSmile

It doesn't matter whether you have a mechanical or conventional or both for your filteration , neither will having one or 2 pumps for your turnover
gaurantees anything . It doesn't matter if you have good drainage or surface skimmer in place . None of this can gaurantee "clean" or " Clear" water
if they're not operating in the right manner , or if they're not in the right sequence of placement .....SmileSmile .

This brownish algae water you're refering to , is not Brown Alage ... neither do you call this brown algae water ....SmileSmile .
I can assure you , this is " cooked water " , meaning , your whole system is not propery run or set , especially the placement of aeration, water return , fiteration media etc , etc . or even skimmer positions , as well as your feeding habits .

If your "clean Chamber" is clean with clear water , there will never be a case of brown water in your pond , unless your clean chamber is also holding such water . You can look into your clean chamber and I gaurantee you , that the water now is brownish too SmileSmile. Somewhere is wrong Brother .

I hope you dun mind my frankness ...SmileSmile .

It will definitely help , if you could spend some time to take photos of your pond set-up , filteration chambers , etc , etc and I assure you ...Sly , it can be fixed in no time through just some of the advises from the brothers here ...SlySly

Hope you can put up some photos pretty fast ... for the time being , stop feeding to reduce further contamination or pollution ...SlySly . It doesn't mater much if kois are not feed for a period . Feeding under contaminated water might be harmful for them more than helping them ..Sly

CHeers
David

Diablo63
New User

Aug 18, 2009, 11:19 AM

Post #10 of 13 (5190 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavidSoon] Algae Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Bro David,

Thanks for the open and frank comment. I will definitely go back today and capture some relevant photos of my pond and have it posted in no time. Hang tough there my beloved kois, help from our brothers is on the wayCrazy.

Cheers and have a nice day.

Diablo63

larz1
Veteran

Aug 18, 2009, 5:44 PM

Post #11 of 13 (5093 views)
Shortcut

I believe David is on the right track here. New pond syndrome can reveal itself in many ways and "brown" water is one of them. In an immature pond the filters have not had an opportunity to become established, which opens the door for other organisms to step in. Most young ponds experience "pea soup green" water as the unicellular algae intervenes to consume ammonia before the filter is established.
You are running UV lights which is holding back the algae, so another life form steps in instead.
Heterotrophic bacteria are free floating colonies rather than attached to biomedia in our filter chambers and on the pond walls. They can turn the water brown as they enjoy a population explosion, being well fed by ammonia in your young pond. Their presence will slow down the process of maturing your filter and following David's advice will go a long way toward correcting the problem over time.

harryluhur
User

Aug 28, 2009, 7:09 PM

Post #12 of 13 (4965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cookcpu] Algae Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
My layman explanation of pond turnover rate is as follow.

If your pond is 16,000 litres and you use a single pump that is rated to have 16,000 litres per hour. It mean your turnover rate is in 1 times per hour.

If you use 2 pump of 16,000 litres per hour. It mean your turnover rate is 2 times per hour.

Brudder,
It is not so simple to calculate the pond flow rate. Most pond that state their max rate, that mean the rate of 16.000 l/h is based at 0 (zero) meters. You have to check the graph (usually provided) in packaging or supplement booklet inside the packaging. It will show the flow rate at certain height. The max head also important, the higher max head mean more height can be achieved with minimum lose of flow rate. The higher the max head usually mean bigger electricity power needed.

Beside that, reducing the piping smaller than its recommendation also reduce the flow rate, too many elbow and tee also will reduce the flow rate. Try to use the longbow instead of elbow to minimize the loss of friction.

---------------------------------------
Harry Luhur
36 AQUATIC - Indonesia
Professional Pond Builder and Consultant

harryluhur
User

Aug 28, 2009, 7:10 PM

Post #13 of 13 (4962 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Dear Sifus Out There,

I have just expanded my koi pond to boost my ever increasing love for koi. My problem is my new pond has been growing brown algae at an alarming rate. My filtration chamber is about 30% of the pond size, I have mechanical and biological filters in place and also two 20 watt UV lights in place too. Just hope some sifu out there can help me with my problem. I have tried changing 30% of the water last week, the water cleared up initially but 2 days later the brown algae returned. I am at my wits end. Please help. Thanks.

Dear Bro Diablo,
It the brown algae you mention is the brownish water color or the brown patches on pond wall ???

---------------------------------------
Harry Luhur
36 AQUATIC - Indonesia
Professional Pond Builder and Consultant

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com