Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Water Quality:
Nitrite and ammonia are increasing..!!

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

KOI 969
Novice

Sep 15, 2009, 10:25 PM

Post #1 of 19 (8477 views)
Shortcut
Nitrite and ammonia are increasing..!! Can't Post

Greeting all,

I have a serious problem with my tank, the tank is 1000 gallon. Recently, I discovered that the nitrite and ammonia are increasing day by day in the water. They are around (0.25) I used biological recycle (NURAVAN) after that, they were decreasing .therefore, I already changed the water in daily basis, added salt in the water, but nitrite and ammonia still exists in the water. I have KOI fishes and I feed them two times a day, I did not over feed them, they eat within 5 minutes. The water temperature is 27 C. also Iím rising up the pH, by using ďpH upĒ product because itís around 6 .Please I need your help/ advice in the mater, because I have done everything.Crazy

Thanks in advanced,

DavidSoon
Veteran

Sep 16, 2009, 9:23 AM

Post #2 of 19 (8432 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KOI 969] Nitrite and ammonia are increasing..!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Brother KOi69 SmileSmile

What's lacking in your pond might be the beneficial bacteria need to resolve this problem .
You can either add " Liquid Bacteria " that comes in bottled form , or you might want to cultivate your own bacteia from the "powder form" .

Hope this helps..

David

KOI 969
Novice

Sep 16, 2009, 7:22 PM

Post #3 of 19 (8368 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavidSoon] Nitrite and ammonia are increasing..!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Brother David,,,

I think, i have to use different product to consume Nitrite/ Ammonia. Wink

Again, thanks for your usual support,

KoiAnswers
Koi Kichi

Sep 16, 2009, 7:49 PM

Post #4 of 19 (8360 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi Brother David,,,

I think, i have to use different product to consume Nitrite/ Ammonia. Wink

Again, thanks for your usual support,

Somehow the Nitrosomonas bacteria has not colonized your filter as yet. These are responsible for breaking Ammonia into Nitrite. and the Nitrobacter bacteria has also not colonized in your filter as yet also. These are responsible to breakdown nitrite to nitrate. Notrosomonas are easier to colonize as compared to the nitrobacter which takes time.

larz1
Veteran

Sep 17, 2009, 10:35 PM

Post #5 of 19 (8277 views)
Shortcut

Could you please describe your filtration system please? David is correct about the bacterial colonies not becoming established which makes me wonder what they have to colonize to.

KOI 969
Novice

Sep 22, 2009, 12:49 PM

Post #6 of 19 (8138 views)
Shortcut

I used biological cycle product form Hagen which contains beneficial bacteria, it consumed ammonia. Now ammonia is 0 Cool but nitrite still exists, nitrite is less than 0.25.

I think, it will be 0 after a few of days Wink. I noticed yellow appearance in one of my KOI, is it because nitrite was going up, or is it because the pH is 6.7

Pleases advice.

KOI 969
Novice

Sep 23, 2009, 5:29 AM

Post #7 of 19 (8075 views)
Shortcut

I used biological cycle product form Hagen which contains beneficial bacteria, it consumed ammonia. Now ammonia is 0 but nitrite still exists, nitrite is less than 0.25.

I think, it will be 0 after a few of days . I noticed yellow appearance in one of my KOI, is it because nitrite was going up, or is it because the pH is 6.7

Pleases advice.

harryluhur
User

Sep 28, 2009, 5:55 AM

Post #8 of 19 (7843 views)
Shortcut
ammonia, nitrite, nitrate [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Koi 969,

From the data, your filter in maturing. Ammonia=0 meaning, nitrosomonas already converting to nitrite. At your first post you quote high nitrite, but nitrite is usually <0,3 since most strip test kit use. Nitrite at 0,3 or below is considering safe and healthy already.

You can check your nitrate value, if it is have a value, then your filter is mature already. How long the filter run ?

---------------------------------------
Harry Luhur
36 AQUATIC - Indonesia
Professional Pond Builder and Consultant

KOI 969
Novice

Sep 28, 2009, 8:15 AM

Post #9 of 19 (7814 views)
Shortcut
Re: [harryluhur] ammonia, nitrite, nitrate [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi harryluhur ,
Every day, I check ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Ammonia is 0 but nitrite is less than 0.25. Nitrate is 0 Iím still changing the water in daily basis add salt. But itís temporary solution since I have ammonia / nitrite. I agree, with you that the filter which Iím using doesnít work fine. Really, Iím going to buy anther filter, because I do not want to lose my fish. Pirate

harryluhur
User

Sep 28, 2009, 2:38 PM

Post #10 of 19 (7774 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KOI 969] ammonia, nitrite, nitrate [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi harryluhur ,
Every day, I check ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Ammonia is 0 but nitrite is less than 0.25. Nitrate is 0 Iím still changing the water in daily basis add salt. But itís temporary solution since I have ammonia / nitrite. I agree, with you that the filter which Iím using doesnít work fine. Really, Iím going to buy anther filter, because I do not want to lose my fish. Pirate

Dear Brother,
From your water parameter is not possible. Why, here is the reason :
1. new pond WITHOUT biological filtration ----> nitrite and nitrate should be 0, unless your water source already contain nitrite and nitrate. But ammonia should at least > 1 ppm, no matter how much water you change. Even if you change water 100%, ammonia should rise in matter of hours. Ammonia > 0; nitrite = 0 or <0,3 ; nitrate = 0
2. New pond WITH biological filtration ---> Ammonia will rise, some converted to nitrite (that's why some water changes is needed to balance your pond water) by nitrosomonas bacteria, which usually colonized faster. Ammonia level should be dropping since some ammonia converted to nitrite. After nitrite begin to rise, nitrobacter bacteria will colonize and convert nitrite to nitrate. And slowly, after all the bacteria growth to its potential (depend on biological filtration media use), ammonia will drop to 0, since all ammonia converted to nitrite. So is nitrite convert to nitrate. At early stage Ammonia > 1 ; nitrite = 0 or <0,3 ; nitrate = 0 (same like without filtration). After nitrosomonas & nitrobacter start to colonize Ammonia > 1 ; nitrite > 0,3 ; nitrate > 0. And after filter mature Ammonia = 1 ; nitrite <0,3 ; nitrate > 0.

Your parameter show a impossible which i may not encounter, unless there is NO FISH inside the pond. My suggestion is your should try to BUY another brand of tester. What tester do you use currently ? Also read the instruction manual carefully, since different brand have different DROP in reaction chamber tube.

Harry Luhur
36 AQUATIC - Indonesia

KOI 969
Novice

Oct 18, 2009, 1:54 PM

Post #11 of 19 (7571 views)
Shortcut

Hi brother ,

Thanks for your reply and advice. Currently, Iím using water tester from aquariumpharm (API) at http://aquariumpharm.com/...ct.aspx?ProductID=77

Ammonia is less than 0.15

Nitrite is less than 0.25

Nitrate is 0

So Iím still having nitrite but itís much better than before. For your question, Iíve two large KOI fishes only.

Again, thanks for your time and your support.

(This post was edited by KOI 969 on Oct 18, 2009, 2:00 PM)

harryluhur
User

Oct 18, 2009, 5:09 PM

Post #12 of 19 (7547 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi brother ,

Thanks for your reply and advice. Currently, Iím using water tester from aquariumpharm (API) at http://aquariumpharm.com/...ct.aspx?ProductID=77

Ammonia is less than 0.15

Nitrite is less than 0.25

Nitrate is 0

So Iím still having nitrite but itís much better than before. For your question, Iíve two large KOI fishes only.

Again, thanks for your time and your support.

Your water parameter is quite unusual. Are you using any biological filtration media, such bioball, jap mat, etc ?

Harry Luhur
36 AQUATIC - Indonesia

KOI 969
Novice

Oct 19, 2009, 9:09 AM

Post #13 of 19 (7490 views)
Shortcut

I'm using nutrafin cycle product from Hagen.

harryluhur
User

Oct 19, 2009, 1:26 PM

Post #14 of 19 (7462 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I'm using nutrafin cycle product from Hagen.

i think the product you mention is the bacteria starter. THe bacteria need a place to colonize which is common media used is bioball, japmat, etc. Can you describe your filtration system ?

Harry Luhur
36 AQUATIC - Indonesia

KOI 969
Novice

Oct 19, 2009, 2:02 PM

Post #15 of 19 (7452 views)
Shortcut

Yes, you are right. Itís a product which contains beneficial bacteria. really, I stick with it. Do you think ? It will be better if I change the water 100% within 7 days in daily basis. Or I have to re-check the filter . by the way, also every day I raise up the pH in daily basis because itís around 6.7

Please I need your opinion ?

skier
Novice

Nov 1, 2009, 5:21 AM

Post #16 of 19 (7295 views)
Shortcut

Suggest you stop feeding until you find a solution. This will bring the PH up. The koi can live for easily for 10 days without feeding.

KOI 969
Novice

Nov 2, 2009, 2:01 PM

Post #17 of 19 (7174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skier] ammonia, nitrite, nitrate [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, I bought a new filter I add ammonia remover product, it consumes ammonia and nitrite.

Thanks for your advice,

G Chee
Novice

Nov 29, 2009, 5:48 PM

Post #18 of 19 (6909 views)
Shortcut

Dear Koi 969

Just wondering if you managed to solve your ammonia/ nitrite problem?

G Chee

KOI 969
Novice

Dec 5, 2009, 1:25 PM

Post #19 of 19 (6628 views)
Shortcut
Re: [G Chee] ammonia, nitrite, nitrate [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Brother,,

Yes, it is already solved by using an internal filter,, also I have used beneficial bacteria,,,,

Thanks for everyone who really helped to solved it,, and again thanks a lot,,,.

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com