Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Water Quality:
Snail Pest

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

CH
User

Oct 8, 2009, 5:07 AM

Post #26 of 33 (3152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [raistlin] Snail Pest [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Bro Raistlin,
That's why it is so great and wonderful to have this forum and this community who can give helpful and practical advice. I guess the only solution is to start doing the back-breaking cleaning suggested by so many sifus here.

Thank you so much for your valuable input.

Best Regards,
CH

raistlin
User

Oct 8, 2009, 5:33 PM

Post #27 of 33 (3131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CH] Snail Pest [In reply to] Can't Post

No probs. Remember to stretch. Wink

KoiAnswers
Koi Kichi

Oct 9, 2009, 10:16 AM

Post #28 of 33 (3110 views)
Shortcut
Re: [raistlin] Snail Pest [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to the group. My back pains are a constant feature now for me.......UnsureUnsureUnsure
Well what to do.......anything for the kois I guess! Sly

simoneinzaghi88
User

Oct 10, 2009, 8:14 PM

Post #29 of 33 (3058 views)
Shortcut
Re: [msms] Snail Pest [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys,

Talking about parasites and pests, I feel so ashamed to say that I have loads of them in my filter. I dunno if they are also in the pond but I will suspect so. The list of pests are:

Cockroaches - (these fellas do not look like the typical cockroaches, they are smaller and with stripes across the body). They are more hardy and resilient too. Suspect they can live underwater. I did spray them with Baygon before and they seemed to be tougher than ordinary cockcroaches. The last time I saw them was earlier this week - 2 actually and I killed them both and have not seen one since.FrownFrown

Centipedes - can you believe it? I was washing my Japanese mat filters last weekend and while I was spraying the mat, I saw something wriggling out of the mat and I initially thought it was a cockroach but to my horror it was a centipede about 4 inches. Scared the crap out of me. But it was the only one of that size. However I saw another 2 baby size centipedes about an inch in length. One was dead floating in the chamber after the washing. Another one was when I was doing a very thorough clean up of the filter. I was standing in the 5th chamber which houses the 2 Tsurumi filters for water return into the pond and arranging bio filters in the 4th chamber and I looked down into the chamber to see how clear the water is and realized an inch long baby centipede on my right foot. My instant reflex was to shake my foot and get the hell out of the filter at once. Those were the only instances that I have seen centipedes in the filter.MadMad

Dragonflies: Loads of them in the filter chambers and filter mats. Most of them dead and floating on the water surface in the filter chambers but I think they are actually beneficial as they get rid of the mozzies. However, dead dragonflies lying in the filter is not good for water quality either. I used to keep a netting over the filter and wood planks on top of the net. I have removed the net now so that dragonflies can fly out. Don't see much of them now. Probably killed after I washed the Jap mats and medicating the pond with salt (0.5%) and S1 solution. I actually love to see these dragonflies in the garden but if I have to rid of them to save my kois, I will have to do what is necessaryFrownFrownFrown

Water lice and water louse: I suspect these critters are thriving in the filter too. Everytime I flush the water, I can see these little things crawling at the bottom of the last chamber i.e. the flushing chamber but the chamber is too narrow and too deep for me to reach in and get one of them out. However, after medicating the pond with S1, and after my frequent water changes in the past 2 weeks, the numbers are much less. I see one or two of them everytime I flush.MadMadMad

Snails: The snails in the pond are those big ones that we find in the garden. I wonder why is it there. NEver knew snail can live in water. Found one maybe adoslescent one in my skimmer and removed it. I know there are snails in my garden and my mom told me that she has seen snails in the pond but it's my first time ever coming across one that is alive and submerged in my skimmer.Frown

I came across articles and threads about the use of Dimilin to rid of parasites and hopefully these pests too and brought myself to get some from Atari Koi earlier. Going to put them in the pond later.Wink

I have been trying to solve problems with my pond for almost 3 weeks now. Will continue my battle against these pests and parasites to keep my kois healthy - hopefully.MadMadMad

Just to share my horror and frustration. Apologize if I have digressed or deviated from the thread's topic.BlushBlushBlush
Thanks and regards

Simon

lamig747
User

Oct 22, 2009, 4:33 PM

Post #30 of 33 (3003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simoneinzaghi88] Snail Pest [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Simon,

Your post is quite interesting. I probably will die laughing if I see you shaking off those critters you described.

But seriously, these organisms I have likewise seen living in my filter. SOmetimes Im wondering whether Im enjoying this hobby because of the koi OR because of the challenge in keeping good water.

In the morning when I wake up, I go to see the kois very quickly, then go to the filter. If I ever manage to lick all these problems, would I still be as interested as before in this hobby? hmmm...Crazy

Ps why u have Nicole as your icon?

simoneinzaghi88
User

Oct 24, 2009, 7:48 PM

Post #31 of 33 (2932 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lamig747] Snail Pest [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi lamig 747,

You are so right. I wasn't really that interested about the koi initially. Have been keeping them for more than a year and all I did was feed and do some flushing. I never did any filter cleaning as I have someone do it for me on a monthly basis until I notice the fish were not the same anymore. That was the turning point when I was trying to cure my fish.

I started googling and gathering information in the internet and stumbled upon this forum. I started to sign up and post my queries and to my surprise I got a reply within minutes (thanks to Bro Shukri and Paul) - really helpful guys indeed and also others who are willing to impart their knowledge and share experiences. THe more I read, the more I realize that koi keeping is not as easy as feeding and changing water.

Like you said, if there wasn't any problem and no troubleshooting, I probably won't be so keen and interested. WHat an irony. It's the challenge, trouble shooting and problem solving that keeps me going.TongueTongue

After the first dose of Dimilin, no more cockroaches (this is probably more attributable to the pest control ppl I believe), no centipedes, dragonflies, water lice etc. Tried asking for PARASITE KILLER (recommended by Bro Shukri) at Atari Koi but they don't carry this brand.

Why Nicole Kidman? I just love her. WinkWink

CheersWinkWinkWink

P/S: Btw, I just administered a 2nd dosage of Dimilin into the pond (just in case there are some remnants or unhatched eggs etc). Spent a good second half of the day draining the pond and filter chambers and wash them thoroughly. Went to Atari Koi to get salt, Dimilin and a new airstone. Came back and dived into the pond again to fix the airstone. Spent most of the time next to the pond today.

In Reply To

Thanks and regards

Simon

lamig747
User

Oct 26, 2009, 3:33 AM

Post #32 of 33 (2916 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simoneinzaghi88] Snail Pest [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess youre hooked- solid! Hope you dont overdo otherwise your wife will be jealous of your koi & Nicole, for that matterWink

dheensay
User

Oct 26, 2009, 12:39 PM

Post #33 of 33 (2867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lamig747] Snail Pest [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL. that is so funny. My wife also says now days i run off to see the koi's at every opportunity as if they are some hot tai-tai Tongue

It is certainly interesting keeping them so far. I guess its a 1v1 challenge ie. you against the pond, and surely you want to win!

cheers, kaaj

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com