Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Water Quality:
pH $ KH

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

KOI 969
Novice

Dec 16, 2009, 7:22 AM

Post #1 of 6 (4479 views)
Shortcut
pH $ KH Can't Post

Hi everyone ,

The pH is between 7.5 to 7.8 and KH is 71.0. so my question how I can satiable the pH sine I have KOI fishes. I realize that the more KH I have the more alkaline water I will have.
Thanks in advanced,

G Chee
Novice

Dec 19, 2009, 6:31 PM

Post #2 of 6 (4386 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KOI 969] pH $ KH [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Brother,

From my understanding, KH is hardness and measured in degrees KH but can be converted to some other unit (can't remember name) by a multiple of 17. so I assume that your 71 is 71/17 in degrees KH ie is just over 4. The ideal hardness is about 85 to 200 or about 5 to 12. Generally, the harder your water is, the more alkaline it becomes. But it's ok for your water to be alkaline as Koi prefer alkaline to acidic water. Your pond water pH can go as high as 8.5 and it should still be fine.

Hope this helps

Gerard

larz1
Veteran

Jan 14, 2010, 8:10 AM

Post #3 of 6 (4108 views)
Shortcut

Your kh is moderate and the ph is good. What is essential is maintaining stability for your fish and filters, so concentrate on that first and foremost.
Kh and Gh are measured either in ppm or degrees of hardness. 1 degree = 17.9 ppm Ordinary water changes on a regular basis should be sufficient if your pond is properly filtered and not overstocked. I do suggest utilizing Oyster shells in your filtration as a stable ph buffer for continual operation if that is possible with your setup.

KOI 969
Novice

Jan 16, 2010, 7:32 AM

Post #4 of 6 (4068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [larz1] pH $ KH [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi brother,,

Actually, i am looking for oyster shell , but unfortunately i could not find it, so could you please recommended any web site to order it on line. Again, i approached all of you support.

Thanks in advanced,

larz1
Veteran

Jan 16, 2010, 6:22 PM

Post #5 of 6 (4038 views)
Shortcut

The availability of Oyster shell can vary depending on where you are located. I live in the middle of the U.S. so finding whole Oyster shell is difficult at best. We get it from restaurants that sell Oyster on the half shellSmile We can also get crushed shells at farm supply stores where it is sold as "chicken grit", a supplement to strengthen their egg shells.

Lauts
Koi Kichi

Jan 18, 2010, 8:20 AM

Post #6 of 6 (3968 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

If you are in KL , check out Atari. They have in 10kg packs.
Quite in demand these oyster. I was at a famous eatery in Solaris Mont Kiara , where they serve lots of oysters , i enquire abt the shells leftovers with the chef , was told it was already booked! So i can't even take back my shell waste Mad.

rgd
ts

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com