Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Water Quality:
Clear/n Water but Greenish Tinge: How to Turn Crystal?

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

lamig747
User

Dec 19, 2009, 2:15 PM

Post #1 of 13 (7275 views)
Shortcut
Clear/n Water but Greenish Tinge: How to Turn Crystal? Can't Post

Hi Kichis,

I have very clear and clean water but I noticed that the white colors of my kohakus are yellowish, which when I net, are really white. Ive noticed this as well at the koi shops esp tanks containing platinum ogons which from the top, they look like yamabukis but when netted are in fact very whiteCrazy. My water params are all good and the shop I saw the ogon is constantly replacing their water by 10% daily.

Is there a product that can clarify water like it was a One week old?

Rgds

Lauts
Koi Kichi

Dec 22, 2009, 8:01 AM

Post #2 of 13 (7225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lamig747] Clear/n Water but Greenish Tinge: How to Turn Crystal? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ,

Your title is misleading. Is your water greenish or yellowish? Have you tried UV ? or using koi clay ? The time this is most noticeable ? Refer to post by David on sunburned water.

rgd
ts

lamig747
User

Dec 22, 2009, 12:46 PM

Post #3 of 13 (7195 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lauts] Clear/n Water but Greenish Tinge: How to Turn Crystal? [In reply to] Can't Post

How to say ts, I guess the water is greenish. After posting this Ive seen a long discussion on clarifying using clay wc I might try - just that I dont want my guests this 25th to see murky water. Maybe after the holidays.

Can you send the link to this sunburned water?

Tnx

cookcpu
User

Dec 22, 2009, 12:53 PM

Post #4 of 13 (7193 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lamig747] Clear/n Water but Greenish Tinge: How to Turn Crystal? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you put the clay into the filter chamber at night, most likely it will be clear in the morning...as it depend how much of clay you going to put in.

DavidSoon
Veteran

Dec 22, 2009, 1:05 PM

Post #5 of 13 (7191 views)
Shortcut

Hi Brother ,

Only the ponder himself will be able to define if it's "sunbaked water" or brown water . We define this water coloration by color hazel ..
In some case when too much bacteria suddenly die off due medication or other reasons within an enclosed pond , the water is brownish in color as well , but the turbility is way off in such case .
meaning , the clarity of brown water when bacteria die off is a little blur or murky in other , while in the case of sunbaked coloration of color darker than hazel , the clarity and bacteria level remains .
This is usually the case of new pond water that's salted and had been in pond without water change for an extended period , probably more than 5 days , and exposed to heavy sunlight for long hours .

Best way of getting rid of green water is not water change alone , but the installation of UV lights ( check the lifespan of your UV lights if you have , it's probably expired ) . UV lights will help you get rid of algae spores that's free floating in the water that gives off the greenish tinge in your water coloration . Bentonite clay , will help cluster fines , as well as the dead alage , and probably this will help gather them at the bottom of your chambers , and flushing is imperative when such scenario takes place , before the dead algae decompose .

Hope this help .

David

Lauts
Koi Kichi

Dec 23, 2009, 7:04 AM

Post #6 of 13 (7098 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavidSoon] Clear/n Water but Greenish Tinge: How to Turn Crystal? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bro David,

Thank you for sharing your experiences and explaining it crystal clearly Cool .

Wishing you and family a blessed Merry Christmas and a wonderful year ahead.

warm regards Smile
ts

lamig747
User

Dec 23, 2009, 2:04 PM

Post #7 of 13 (7066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavidSoon] Clear/n Water but Greenish Tinge: How to Turn Crystal? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Bro David,

Im actually referring to the tinge of the pond as you can see in the pic attached (pond vs tub) where u can discern the brighter white of the koi when tubbed vs the greenish tinge when seen inside the pond. Will the clay reduce or remove the green tinge?

Merry XMas to all!!!Smile

Loren

(This post was edited by thiamhwa on Dec 24, 2009, 3:14 AM)

lamig747
User

Jan 13, 2010, 4:19 PM

Post #8 of 13 (6753 views)
Shortcut

Finally been able to use refresh like product- a clinoptilolite, it had cleared the water enough for me & wifey to enjoy seeing the whites of khks wc is now very white. Tnx guys for sharing your experiences.

hansolo
Novice

Jan 14, 2010, 3:03 AM

Post #9 of 13 (6722 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Finally been able to use refresh like product- a clinoptilolite, it had cleared the water enough for me & wifey to enjoy seeing the whites of khks wc is now very white. Tnx guys for sharing your experiences.

Would you mind letting us know the brand of clay which you use to clear your water?

Thanks in advance.

Hansolo

lamig747
User

Jan 23, 2010, 3:04 AM

Post #10 of 13 (6558 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hansolo] Clear/n Water but Greenish Tinge: How to Turn Crystal? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Hansolo,

The product I tried is Klinofeed. Its an off-label use. U can read more about it through this link:

http://www.unipoint.ch/html/gb/klinofeed/klinofeed.htm

Rgds

jcwc
Novice

Jan 25, 2010, 3:15 PM

Post #11 of 13 (6454 views)
Shortcut

Hi, I wanna ask about this bentonite clay thing. It's purpose is to help clarify the water right?

Is it in powder form? Where do you add it - in one of the filter chambers I suppose?

Sorry for the noob questions.

lamig747
User

Feb 17, 2010, 3:15 AM

Post #12 of 13 (6073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jcwc] Clear/n Water but Greenish Tinge: How to Turn Crystal? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys,

After almost two months of usage, I can confirm that putting in clay powder does work. It clarifies the water by helping to capture suspended solids in the filters. At the same time, it helps in minimising algae.

In fact, my pond which is now under the sun 80% of the time due to the sun's changing seasonal orientation, needs only 1 day of UV lighting to keep it clear the whole week. I just add the powder in the bio-filters (found this better than putting it in the 1st chamber).

Cheers
Loren

larz1
Veteran

Feb 18, 2010, 1:31 AM

Post #13 of 13 (5996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jcwc] Clear/n Water but Greenish Tinge: How to Turn Crystal? [In reply to] Can't Post

You may have already found the answer to your question, but I just saw this and thought I'd go ahead and reply.

As David already mentioned, the clay (which is finely powdered calcium bentonite) helps to flock the fine particles of virtually every kind together and remove them as the water passes through your filter chambers by removing them in the settlement chamber. The added advantage of this type of clay is that it also helps to starve the algae of nutrients as it adsorbs phosphates, etc... to remove them from the water column. If the algae is starved of food it cannot bloom.

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com