Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Water Quality:
My Sick Koi still not eating!!

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

G Chee
Novice

Jan 29, 2010, 12:31 PM

Post #1 of 6 (4519 views)
Shortcut
My Sick Koi still not eating!! Can't Post

Hi Brothers

Maybe someone can help me. One week ago, I changed my water (10%) as I usually do every week but forgot to turn off the water for 2 1/2 hours (the water is usually on for one hour to replace 10% of the pond water). I had put dechlorinator before the water change. The next day, my Shusui (which was not eating well even before the water change) died. Very sad. Two days later, I found my favorite Sanke swimming in circles. I put it in a quarantine tank and added salt to 0.5% on the advice of a koi dealer. I expected to die as it was still swiming vigorously in circles one day later. But lo and behold, after one day, I found it upright and swimming almost normally. I kept it in the quarantine tank for 2 days, did not feed it and slowly reduced the salt content to 0,3%. When it was swimming normally for one day, I decided to put it back in my main pond (the salt content is usually zero but I just increased it to 0.15% in case the other koi started getting sick). It's two days now, and although the Sanke looks fine and is swimming normally, it is not eating. The rest of the koi still have a voracious appetite but my poor Sanke remains at the bottom of the pond, usually in the corner and stays there during the feeding. Before it got sick, it ate very well. I'm afraid it is still sick and will get weaker from not eating and eventually die (like my Shusui).

Does anyone have an opinion on what I should do next? Or is it usual for koi to go through a period of loss of appetite after recovery?

Thanks

Gerard

DavidSoon
Veteran

Jan 29, 2010, 1:28 PM

Post #2 of 6 (4508 views)
Shortcut
Re: [G Chee] My Sick Koi still not eating!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Brother Gerard Smile

I would suggest you get your dealer to administer Ciprobaby ( antibiotic ) for your Sanke . 3 dosages ( one dosage every alternate day )
If you're uncertain about the procedure of injection , get your dealer to come over to provide the jab , but currently , do not try to shift your Sanke again , as the shifting from pond to Qtank , back and forth , can bring more stress than help .
If your qurantined kois are swimming round too vigourously , even in Qtank , you can request for Parazan , which I think is available in most dealer's place .
parazan will destress them and stabalize them better while under qurantine .

Hope this help .

David

G Chee
Novice

Jan 29, 2010, 4:27 PM

Post #3 of 6 (4471 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavidSoon] My Sick Koi still not eating!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi David

Thanks for your reply. Why do you think my koi needs Ciprobay? Does it sound like my Sanke has a bacterial infection?

Thanks

Gerard

DavidSoon
Veteran

Jan 29, 2010, 4:58 PM

Post #4 of 6 (4468 views)
Shortcut

Brother Gerard ,

if it's the general stock that behave or have the same symptom , then it would point to the water condition , but if the Sanke is the only infected fish in your stock , then we can point to her as a sick fish , or a fish waiting to spawn . Ciprobay - antibiotic , will help her fight any internal infection if the fish immunity is weak . Nothing gaurantee a cure though . Not neccessarily to be bacteria infection , but she could be injured for some reason internally as well .

Hope this help .

David

KOI 969
Novice

Jan 31, 2010, 9:35 AM

Post #5 of 6 (4350 views)
Shortcut

Brother,,

Can you check your water condition pH, ammonia , nitrite,, and water temperature.

G Chee
Novice

Jan 31, 2010, 6:22 PM

Post #6 of 6 (4327 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KOI 969] My Sick Koi still not eating!! [In reply to] Can't Post

The ammonia, nitrite both zero. pH 8.1 (as it has been since the start of the pond 6 months ago). Temp 31degrees. I don't think it's the water because the rest of my 15 koi are doing fine. Eating like crazy and swimming actively. Like Bro David said, it's likely to be the koi as it's the only one that is not eating and swimming. Anyway, on the advice of an experienced koi dealer, I've put it in a quarantine tank and added a powder that he gave me. I'm instructed to keep the sanke isolated for one week, no feeding and to change the water in the quarantine tank 10% daily. The dealer will come and see the koi on Wednesday. Hope it will survive.

Thanks. Any advice for me?

Gerard

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com