Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: KOI Talk: Pond Water Quality:
Oily film on the surface of the pond water.

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BaitWrangler
Novice

May 25, 2010, 3:56 AM

Post #26 of 39 (6411 views)
Shortcut
Re: [larz1] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Kenny,

Could you possibly post more pictures of your pond? I am curious what you refer to as your culvert. Is it a hiding place or does it serve a function of the pond? Smile

Best Regards,

Ed

cookcpu
User

May 25, 2010, 4:43 AM

Post #27 of 39 (6403 views)
Shortcut
Re: [larz1] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bro Larz1, you are right about the culvert. Therefore, in the future when I redo the pond, I will have a clearance of about 6" to 12" between it and the water level.

The fish hide inside also due to the afternoon heat as my pond was only 2 ft deep.

kennywan
Novice

May 25, 2010, 5:00 AM

Post #28 of 39 (6399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BaitWrangler] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ed,

Believe this for bro William to address your pond picture request as it is bro William pond we are discussing.SmileSmileSmile

Cheers,
Kenny

cookcpu
User

May 25, 2010, 5:07 AM

Post #29 of 39 (6397 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BaitWrangler] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bro Ed, the picture of the attached picture show the culvert at the side of the pond. The photo is taken when the pond is new.

As you can see the fish can swim under the culvert and rest there and also hide themselves from the direct sunlight. The culvert is design by the architect and if I have know so much problem, I would have not want it or I will dig much deeper so that the water level will not be touching the culvert.

[/img]

(This post was edited by cookcpu on May 25, 2010, 5:12 AM)

BaitWrangler
Novice

May 26, 2010, 4:30 PM

Post #30 of 39 (6333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cookcpu] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good morning Kenny,

I apologize my friend. I am new and am not very familiar with names yet. I had thought you, brother Kenny, was William. Oops. Blush I will learn names very soon - after spending time on the forum with great people.

Brother William,

Thank you very much for the picture. First let me add that your pond and decking are quite beautiful!

You are very correct, it does seem that area may be a problem. Is it designed to be a water return under there? A culvert in America is considered more of an underground structure to allow water to pass. I beleive what you have there is more commonly known as a "recess", unless the contractor built the area for a specific purpose aside of adding more water volume and a shading area. Perhaps you could barrier the area? But at what cost... both financially and possible injury to the fish?

Have you been able to cure the oily film problem?

Very best,

Ed

(This post was edited by BaitWrangler on May 26, 2010, 4:31 PM)

cookcpu
User

May 27, 2010, 4:39 AM

Post #31 of 39 (6310 views)
Shortcut

Thank you for the compliment on my pond.

The pond design layout is by an architect and they told me it is a culvert. Initially, water return pump are underneath it but after a year, those pipe somehow stop having water coming out of the return pipe. The water level suppose to be below the culvert but due to the low depth the contractor advice me to have the water level at above the underside of the culvert.

The oily film seem to disappear from the area and the fish started to return to rest in the area. But there seem to be small bubble floating around that area too. It look like spawning activities have been occurred.

I have to replace a tsuranmi pump again. This is the 2nd pump within 2 month that fail.

drcaseyloo
Novice

May 29, 2010, 5:22 PM

Post #32 of 39 (6214 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cookcpu] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tot I share another experience with you. I am not sure if our problems are of the same cause but I had 2 tsurumi pumps that failed on me within a span of 6 months. Then I realised the reason. The pumps are cooled by water and because I didn't monitor the water level in the filter where the pump is located (I have a very shallow pond), some time the water level goes so low that the pump are exposed. This cause the pump to heat up and after a while breaks down. I have since taken note to always make sure the pump is fully submerged. I have not had any repeat of the water pump problem.

However, I do have issues with my hi-blow airpump nowUnsure, which seems to put out different amount of air - judging by the inconsistent volume of bubbles coming out of the diffusers. I have yet to figure out what the problem is.

Hope the info is of use to you.

Casey

st8800
User

May 29, 2010, 8:58 PM

Post #33 of 39 (6198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [drcaseyloo] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Bro Casey

I suspect your diffuser could be clogged up with algae if they are not giving sufficient output. Try scrubbing them with brushes and if they are the tube type, bend them a bit while scrubbing. If all else fail, change a new diffuser.

Best
Spencer

drcaseyloo
Novice

May 30, 2010, 6:06 AM

Post #34 of 39 (6158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [st8800] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks bro Spencer.

The main diffuser is a long black tube. It's just that it seems to give out inconsistent amount of air. Regardless, will give it a good scrub soon.

Casey

PH8
Veteran

May 30, 2010, 2:20 PM

Post #35 of 39 (6089 views)
Shortcut
Re: [drcaseyloo] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bro Casey, I think if the air tube is longish, the inconsistent air is due to different elevation. The bubbles tend to come out at the parts where the tube is slightly higher. That's what I observed from my air tubes anyway. I have 2, each about 8 feet long. It's not easy trying to level the tube so that it is perfectly at equal elevation throughout.

drcaseyloo
Novice

May 30, 2010, 4:31 PM

Post #36 of 39 (6062 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PH8] Oily film on the surface of the pond water. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bro Paul,

Thanks for the tip but that doesn't seem to be the cause of my problem tho. The tube is laid flat evenly at the bottom but churns out different volumes of bubbles (evenly throughout the tube) on different days. Some days little bubbles, some days bigger bubbles. The air-pump's a Hi-Blow 60 (after a medo 45 failed on me after only 3 months). Guess learning experience for an ignorant newbie. I just washed my filters today. Will try Bro Spencer's suggestion to bend the tube for scrubbing and see how.

Casey

koinutx
Koi Kichi

May 30, 2010, 4:51 PM

Post #37 of 39 (6061 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Bro Paul,

Thanks for the tip but that doesn't seem to be the cause of my problem tho. The tube is laid flat evenly at the bottom but churns out different volumes of bubbles (evenly throughout the tube) on different days. Some days little bubbles, some days bigger bubbles. The air-pump's a Hi-Blow 60 (after a medo 45 failed on me after only 3 months). Guess learning experience for an ignorant newbie. I just washed my filters today. Will try Bro Spencer's suggestion to bend the tube for scrubbing and see how.

Casey

Bro,

Check the filter at the Top Green Cover of the Hi-Blow. make sure no dirt or blockage.
btw have you throw away your Medo? It can be repair....Sly
sms me....
Cheers!

Poh Beng
----------------------------------------------------------
http://koifish.blog.com

cookcpu
User

May 31, 2010, 3:25 AM

Post #38 of 39 (6026 views)
Shortcut

Bro Casey, Thank you for sharing your experience again. Smile

I do encounter this problem during cleaning of the filter chamber as I need one pump to pump out the water from the chamber. To solve this problem, I have to buy pond vacuum to suck out all the rest of the water from the chamber instead of using the pump.

To clean the air diffusers, I was told just to bring it out and let the sun take care of it for a few hours and then just rinse it with water. Also, check all your air pipe/tube to the diffusers to make sure all are connected without any leak big or small.

cookcpu
User

May 31, 2010, 3:30 AM

Post #39 of 39 (6024 views)
Shortcut

I am surprise that a medo fail on you in 3 months. I have a medo 40 and it is 2 year and still going strong. I think it is the quietest air pump as compare to my 2 hi-blow 80. Only draw back is it is more expensive than hi-blow if I remember correctly.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com