Home  

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Poll: Polls:
How many times do u guys doing water change?

Web Services & EcommercePurchase Printer Toner and Ink (Original and Remanufactured) Online  - Antivirus Online

chriswu3311
User

May 18, 2008, 7:11 AM

Post #1 of 19 (40880 views)
Shortcut
How many times do u guys doing water change? Can't Post

1. Every day

2. 2-3 times a week

3. Once a week

4. Once every 2 weeks

5. Seldom change / Add water only

(This post was edited by chriswu3311 on May 18, 2008, 7:25 AM)

koi@kit
Veteran

May 19, 2008, 3:38 AM

Post #2 of 19 (40855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chriswu3311] How many times do u guys doing water change? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi chris

i only top up water, over flow the surface of water, estimated change of 20% water daily.

chriswu3311
User

May 20, 2008, 6:52 AM

Post #3 of 19 (40830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [koi@kit] How many times do u guys doing water change? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi koi@kit,

As i know so many koi keeper do water change daily like u.
I do water change 1 a week of 10-15% only.
Thanks for the input...

koi@kit
Veteran

May 20, 2008, 8:52 AM

Post #4 of 19 (40828 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chriswu3311] How many times do u guys doing water change? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi chris..

do u know dat sudden top up of water from diffrent pH, KH and temperature can stress kois? but i m sure ur 10 to 15% change is fine.

a fren of mine ever change water of pH 7.5 (from tap water) from his pond at 20% with rain water with pH 6.0. and very diffrent temperature (after strong rain) .. the result? stress kois .. Smile..

chriswu3311
User

May 20, 2008, 10:23 AM

Post #5 of 19 (40825 views)
Shortcut
Re: [koi@kit] How many times do u guys doing water change? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup, i read some member's post b4...
I built my pond 1.5year ago when i was still a newbie .
My filter system only hav 4 chambers and i convert the drain chamber as the 5th chamber.
So b4 i drain water from C1 which is a settlement chamber, i hav to drain water for C5 1st (10%+-)
then the C1 (5%).
I also hav a 4" drain pipe from my roof directly to the pond, after i read post from members 1year ago and i quickly link up the drain pipe out from the pond.
I hav algae problem after heavy rain b4 (may be cause by rain water??? i still cant found the answer). Luckily all my koi was ok at tat moment.....Smile
Any way thanks for yr input.

koi@kit
Veteran

May 20, 2008, 10:49 AM

Post #6 of 19 (40824 views)
Shortcut

hi chris..

rain water contain phosphate, will promote algae or even string algae boomSlyLaugh

chriswu3311
User

May 20, 2008, 11:48 AM

Post #7 of 19 (40813 views)
Shortcut

I c..... no wonder!!!!

Green water bothering me while i started tis hobby from Jan07-sept07.
Until Mac08 the green water came back again cause by over feeding i think???
After install the a uv light the problem solved....Smile
Kem kem kem.....not so happy early.FrownFrownFrownFrown

The green water started to came back again 1 weeks ago, i think this time may cause by tap water.
Usually i do water change 15% once a week and top up the pond water by 50% tank water and 50% tap water.
But last week i drain about 20% pond water, top up with 100% tap water with out anti-chlorine.
After top up the pond the pond water started to turn cloudy, the 2nd day turn yellowish..
Then i knew something just happen, the green algae shld bloom after few days.
So i quickly install the uv light to the pond, then the water is under control now.

Do u think tat could cause by the tap water??? Normally when i adding tap water the pond water will turn cloudy,
but after running the water pump few hours the water will turn back clear as normal. But if the water wouldnt turn clear over nite (for my green water experience) sure green water must bloom after few days.
Will tat cause of the bacteria kill by the chlorinate tap water??? I m still trying to find out why????

Pls see my thread post of Algae bloom after heavy rain and Diy protein skimmer then u will know my stories.....
Hope this wont bothering u....
http://www.koi.com.my/cgi-bin/koiforum/gforum.cgi?post=96928;#96928
http://www.koi.com.my/cgi-bin/koiforum/gforum.cgi?post=105511;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread
Thanks....

koi@kit
Veteran

May 21, 2008, 3:33 AM

Post #8 of 19 (40789 views)
Shortcut

Green water bothering me while i started tis hobby from Jan07-sept07.
Until Mac08 the green water came back again cause by over feeding i think???
After install the a uv light the problem solved....Smile
using UV only solve ur problem temporary. i wud suggest u improve ur filter system or set up. let the bacteria do the job for u.

The green water started to came back again 1 weeks ago, i think this time may cause by tap water.
Usually i do water change 15% once a week and top up the pond water by 50% tank water and 50% tap water.
But last week i drain about 20% pond water, top up with 100% tap water with out anti-chlorine.
After top up the pond the pond water started to turn cloudy, the 2nd day turn yellowish..
Then i knew something just happen, the green algae shld bloom after few days.
So i quickly install the uv light to the pond, then the water is under control now.

Do u think tat could cause by the tap water??? Normally when i adding tap water the pond water will turn cloudy,
but after running the water pump few hours the water will turn back clear as normal. But if the water wouldnt turn clear over nite (for my green water experience) sure green water must bloom after few days.
Will tat cause of the bacteria kill by the chlorinate tap water??? I m still trying to find out why????

yes. chlorine can kill bacteria in filter.

dis is my suggestions :-
1. use filter media dat give u more surface area, thus more bacteria can grow on them, no point having a big filter with
limited filter media.
2. clean the waste accumulate in the bottom of ur filter chamber daily, the waste is fertilizer for algae.
3. reduce ur nitrate by:-
a. make waterdrip of ard 10% daily, let the water overflow
b. use zeolite to trap ammonia, No ammonia means no nitrite, no nitrites means no nitrate.
c. use vege filter, lots of them.

good luck

chriswu3311
User

May 21, 2008, 9:25 AM

Post #9 of 19 (40769 views)
Shortcut

Yes, I agree uv light will only solve problem temporary and i hav tried all the way i can for my filter but......!!!FrownFrownFrown

Pls see my filter system below whether the media is enough or not.

Chamber 1 - Settlement chamber with full of filter brush
Chamber 2 - J. Mat
Chamber 3 - Coral 125kg+-, ceramic ring 75kg and Aquaclay few liter only. (it is full with the water level)
Chamber 4 - Water pump
Chamber 5 - filter brush - J. Mat - Water pump - T.T (4 bucket with 1650 bio ball)

koi@kit
Veteran

May 21, 2008, 10:33 AM

Post #10 of 19 (40767 views)
Shortcut

hi chris..

from the picture shows dat u hv lots of media.. how abt ur koi stock?.. wat food u feed to ur koi? wat routine is ur feeding? how often u clean ur filter? ie. 1st chamber..

chriswu3311
User

May 21, 2008, 11:45 AM

Post #11 of 19 (40762 views)
Shortcut

I hav 9pcs 12 - 16" koi in my pond and i feed the koi twice a day in the morning and evening with Hikari wheat germs and economy. I clean the 1st chamber once a week and clean the brush at the same time (sometimes i clean the brush once every 2 weeks).

koi@kit
Veteran

May 22, 2008, 3:23 AM

Post #12 of 19 (40718 views)
Shortcut

soo when u clean the brushes at 1st chamber, do they smells? may b u shud try clean them every 2 to 3 days.

i used to hv the brushes chamber, due to the smells when cleaning them every wk, i get fedup and remove all of them and change the filter system using bakki shower/bacteris hse, now my filter and water doesnt smells anymore. no cleaning as well, well......, at least for nearly 5 yrs oredi..

if u clean ur 1st chamber more frequent u wont need to touch the other 'biological' chamber, making ur bacteria more mature there.. just a suggestion..

chriswu3311
User

May 22, 2008, 8:32 AM

Post #13 of 19 (40704 views)
Shortcut

Erm..... yes, little bit smell like market fish. I think tat is from the fish manure which settle at the bottom and brush.
Ya u r right, wash the brush frequently will do better for the biological chamber. But i think i dont hav much time for tat...
I think the better way is to invest for a bakki shower like u with maintenance free and better result.
But tat shld cost a lot......
Rite now hav to save more money 1st......FrownFrownFrown
How much u spent on yr bakki shower? If for my 8 ton pond how much do u think tat will cost?

koi@kit
Veteran

May 22, 2008, 8:45 AM

Post #14 of 19 (40703 views)
Shortcut

well.. 1 ton 10kg dats the rules. but if u over stock better to increase more.. my 20 ton water suppose to use 300 kg (recommended by daisuke of momotaro) but i can managed only 200kg. well, my water seems ok. with 11 koi range 60cm to 80cm..

make sure ur water turn over is at least 3 time, if not ur bakki shoer will b only trickle tower. .. also low turn over rate will encough waste to accumulate in BH, worst of all, water not strong will not have the 'far infra red' effect hehehe

Epal63
User

May 22, 2008, 10:19 AM

Post #15 of 19 (40695 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
soo when u clean the brushes at 1st chamber, do they smells? may b u shud try clean them every 2 to 3 days.

i used to hv the brushes chamber, due to the smells when cleaning them every wk, i get fedup and remove all of them and change the filter system using bakki shower/bacteris hse, now my filter and water doesnt smells anymore. no cleaning as well, well......, at least for nearly 5 yrs oredi..

if u clean ur 1st chamber more frequent u wont need to touch the other 'biological' chamber, making ur bacteria more mature there.. just a suggestion..

Hi Koi@kit,

Interesting that you said you changed the filter system using bakki shower.

Are you saying that
(a) your submerged filter (ie with brushes chamber) is no longer operational? ie your bakki shower replaces the submerged filter system?
(b) the bakki shower/bacteria house can remove the waste from the koi without any cleaning for 5 years?

Appreciate if you could give me a better understanding of your filter setup and your experiences.

Thanks.

koi@kit
Veteran

May 22, 2008, 10:35 AM

Post #16 of 19 (40692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Epal63] How many times do u guys doing water change? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there..

(a) your submerged filter (ie with brushes chamber) is no longer operational? ie your bakki shower replaces the submerged filter system?
yes. only using bacteria hse in bakki shower. check brunei forum under my system upgrade..

(b) the bakki shower/bacteria house can remove the waste from the koi without any cleaning for 5 years?
bacteria hse for nearly 5 yrs..fully usage of bs/bh for 2yrs....bakki shower /bacteria hse gas-off ammonia and nitrite.. no ammonia, no nitrite then no nitrate..
where the waste goes? well i guess they settle at settlement chamber. coz i pump water from settlement chamber to BS..

(This post was edited by koi@kit on May 22, 2008, 10:41 AM)

chriswu3311
User

May 23, 2008, 7:02 AM

Post #17 of 19 (40638 views)
Shortcut

Hi koi@kit,

bacteria hse for nearly 5 yrs..fully usage of bs/bh for 2yrs....bakki shower /bacteria hse gas-off ammonia and nitrite.. no ammonia, no nitrite then no nitrate..
where the waste goes? well i guess they settle at settlement chamber. coz i pump water from settlement chamber to BS..

So what about the settlement chamber? I think u still need to clean or drain the water currently right?

koi@kit
Veteran

May 24, 2008, 3:18 AM

Post #18 of 19 (40614 views)
Shortcut

hi chris..

as for the SC, suppost to flush them daily, which is abt 10 to 20% of water there..but sometime i flush them every 2 to 3 days..

by flushing the settlement chamber and drip the water slowly i get abt 10 to 20% water.. 2 in 1, flush chamber plus do water changeWink

chriswu3311
User

May 24, 2008, 8:01 AM

Post #19 of 19 (40605 views)
Shortcut

Wow for this hobby, we must really hard working....!!! SlySlySlySly
Ok i think i will wait for the bacteria mature 1st then try to flushing the SC twice a week as u suggested.
Thanks.......

Search for (options) Back to Koi.com.my Main Page

Disclaimer  Privacy Statement     
Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  
No part of the forum postings can be copied without prior permission from Hileytech Sdn Bhd and the Author of the Posting.
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at koi@hileytech.com